• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Why has nobody ever told me?

I never leave home without a few Rocs in my bag. two Classic Rocs. a slightly beat 149g, and a very beat Classic 165g. the 165g is my absolute go to. throw it with anny from 150 to 100 feet out and she will weave a beautiful S line right to the basket. i also have a Roc3, pretty fresh. still learning how to thread this one. fades very hard, but has nice glide. My Star Rancho Roc is also a fave. low tunnel shots and this baby clings to whatever line i thread it with.
Nothin like a bag full of Rocs

I think there is a stigma that makes people want to avoid them. I had one found on course back around 2000. Never threw it much. Took a break. When I started back up I avoided rocs. Then I picked up a couple during my anti-putter phase. I threw them for everything within 300' and really got it. Definitely a smack yerself moment :D

Now I typically have 2-3 rocs bagged at all times. Welcome to the dark side...

Because every time I break in another dx roc to straight, I have a backup for that slot in my bag. I have my rocs sorted in the garage, I have a pile of new ones, 10 straight ones and a few beat ones so that if I ever lose one of the rocs in my bag I don't have to wait for one to be ready to replace it. I still disagree that they change constantly, my current straight roc has flown the same for close to a year now, I know exactly what it's going to do. Ditto for the beat one, at this point even a point blank tree hit doesn't change the way it flies in a noticeable way.

The other part of the answer to your serious question is that none of the premium plastic rocs fly like a dx roc. They get more distance, have better glide, and the grip is way better. I have yet to throw any premium plastic mid that could replace my really beat roc for shots that start on a hyzer, flip up to dead straight for 275-300' then gradually finish right. Those premium plastic discs either are too stable and want to fade, or don't have the HSS to get that long straight flight segment. Also, I'd need 3-4 different molds to cover the shots I currently use my roc setup for, right now every mid shot has the same grip and the same feel in my hand which in my personal experience makes my mid shots more consistent.

All of that is why I do it. You're right that you can be a fantastic player without throwing base plastic discs, and without cycling rocs. I just disagree that my strategy has been made obsolete by newer discs and plastics.

It basically boils down to a difference in philosophy. Borrowing some slang from football, throwing premium plastic mids is like having a bell cow RB in each stability slot whereas cycling DX Rocs is a "mid by committee" approach.

Another benefit of cycling base plastic molds, besides the general benefits of mold minimalism, is that you build up a good number of discs (cheaply) to throw for field practice or putting practice. You learn to throw better a lot faster when you have multiple discs of the same mold in different stages of wear b/c of familiarity with the mold and learning to make subtle adjustments in form to adjust to the nuanced differences in stability of the discs (improves line shaping precision). If I could start over again, I'd have a pile of DX Rocs and DX Eagles and that is it besides my putter. Would have drastically shortened my learning curve and I wouldn't have to fret over losing precious discs on risky holes (more confidence = less strokes) b/c I'd have cheap back ups ready like Mashnut alluded to.

This times ALOT. It should be in a book somewhere. Seriously.

Welcome to the dark side...
:thmbup: That is one of the reasons that I enjoy throwing Rocs so much. Besides the fact that it's such a great mold for many reasons I enjoy people messing with me or looking down on me for throwing Rocs. Earlier this evening at leagues before the round, another open player asked me what disc I would throw on a certain hole & I told him I'd use a beat KC Roc. He then responded "You & your Rocs, haven't you ever heard using rocks is bad for you." He continued to mess with me throughout the round, everybody on my card thought is was funny until after the 100th Roc joke. When he realized I was a few strokes ahead of him the Roc jokes got even more frequent with less joking & more of a harsh downing tone with them. Everyone on the card (not including me) told him to knock it off. I just didn't respond to any of his immature comments. I arked the last hole with (of course) a Roc & he shanked his shot into some bushes & eneded up getting a three & I got a par. Sincethe round was over I decided to make a sarcastic comment which I thought he would take as a joke. I told him if he would of thrown a Roc he wouldn't have gotten a three, he proceeded to flip out. He started yelling & made fun of my Grip bag calling me a "try-hard". I proceed to not say anything, he stormed off & drove away very quickly in his truck. He was already known as a cocky hot head, so noone else in my league was surprised & after everyone from my card told everyone the whole story they were laughing about it. I hadnt said two words to him during the round & who would of know that the Roc was a touchy subject for him :D. Now I love my Rocs even more, he's gonna be so pissed when he finds out what one of the two discs I'm using for two disc night next week :D
starwars-darth-vader-come-to-the-darkside-we-have-cookies-1510430107-800x800.jpg

Lol that happened to me before but it was with a CE Jls one of our league players said millenium never made CE and didn't believe my dayglo stock stamp was CE so next week I brought him the test run stamped ones that say CE Jls. He was annoyed because I proved him wrong and kept giving me **** about CE and I kept saying you would have made that shot if you we're throwing CE needless to say he got pretty annoyed by the end of the round.

There's something kinda strange about a person who's been playing for over a decade aain't never thrown a Roc...
I never had a Roc until a few months ago... :D

Well that's not actually true, I had an old bottom-stamped DX Roc that didn't see much use. But after reading all the fap over the Roc here I decided to get a Star San Marino and a DX Roc. I'm still figuring out how I want to use them exactly.

I put Rocs in my bag this year. I don't even know why! I was a-okay with Wasp/Buzzz/BuzzzSS and a Stingray. I put an ace on my Wasp and was parking 280' with the Buzzz with ease.

I always had OAT issues with Rocs. EVEN with smooth consistent throws with my Putters and Buzzzes, Rocs would wobble and turn. I spent a few rounds with a used KC and a fresh DX Glow and got such inconsistent throws that I put 'em back away.

Then I found some flattops and use some funny money to pick up two. THOSE I could throw. Right between my 10y Buzzz and Wasp in stability and better feeling plastic in the muggy hot summer months. What's more is I could better tell when I had release errors using the Rocs.

I finally put the use KC back in my bag a couple weeks back and I haven't had any wobbly releases and even picked up a birdie I don't usually get on the last night of leagues. Threw 10' past a 280' hole on the straightest line I've ever seen thrown. It seems I've been sitting on a perfectly seasoned KC Roc for four years...

Personally I'm a fan of R-Pro...but I think it is at its least durable on a Roc. I HATE R-Pro Rocs.

Rocs are a great disc, I don't tend to carry them, but they're tried and true. People love them for a reason!

People can down Rocs all they want. I could not care less. I love my Rocs. Always will. And I also carry a Buzz, Comet, and a very beat MRV. :p

I just put Rocs in my bag about a week ago and can already tell they are here to stay. So versatile. I can cover most of my midrange needs with the exception of super beef with one mold. Keeping it simple just works for me.

I personally cycle Rocs, the Roc is the best Mid mold I've used to date. Mist people I know or have met who throw Rocs prefer KC Pro & DX plastic over R-Pro. R-Pro is less durable than DX/KC & some R-Pro Rocs are plus molds (which I hate). Just pick-up a DX Roc they're cheap & if you don't like the dome get a flat top Roc, they're amazing.

All rocs are plus mold right now. Kc pro, dx, roc3, r-pro.

Compare to an 11x or older and you'll immediately feel and see the difference.

All rocs are plus mold right now. Kc pro, dx, roc3, r-pro.

Compare to an 11x or older and you'll immediately feel and see the difference.

That is false I have 11x & 12x Rocs & they're the same mold. I agree 11x Rocs feel different but that's just because the plastic is a little different blend than the current run. Most R-Pro Rocs (not sure if all of them) are + molds. There are Champ & Gummy Champ plus mold Rocs. I've seen CFR DX & Star plus mold Rocs also. I own Ontario, San Marino, Rancho, Roc3 & Roc plus mold Rocs (over 75 total). Your mistaken, I assure you the newest run of DX/KC Rocs are not plus molds.

All current Rocs are +mold compared to the Ghost. Perfect 8x Roc in 5 sweet plastic blends...

They aren't plus mold, but almost all of the rocs I've felt since 2010 have a slight slant to the rim. Every once in a while I'll find a new roc that feels good, but even the slightest slant doesn't feel right in my hand. At first I thought it they had switched to plus mold on all rocs, but it's not as extreme as the actual plus mold rocs. This is why I have over fifty old DX, preflight number 12x, and 11x rocs. I suppose I could get used to the slanted rims, but with a large stock I won't have to.

Latest posts