• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why is chartreuse the new shirt color of choice?

I think I'm going to start wearing these out of spite.

Never once have I thought if the color of my shirt would offend anyone......never. I can't imagine anyone that would.

I could only wish I had your single-minded focus on the target and lines at hand. If I had your levels of focus, I'd probably be a far better golfer.

The color of someone's shirt isn't what distracts me. If they're moving in my field of view it doesn't matter if they're wearing yellow or camo, it's still distracting. If they're hundreds of feet away, it's less of a distraction than squirrels and moving leaves and all kinds of other random stuff that you have to deal with all the time. I'm not claiming that I'm some kind of savant at ignoring distractions, I'm saying that those distractions get a lot worse when you spend the whole round mad because you're assuming that everyone else in the tournament is out to distract you and ruin your round.

The color of someone's shirt isn't what distracts me. If they're moving in my field of view it doesn't matter if they're wearing yellow or camo, it's still distracting. If they're hundreds of feet away, it's less of a distraction than squirrels and moving leaves and all kinds of other random stuff that you have to deal with all the time. I'm not claiming that I'm some kind of savant at ignoring distractions, I'm saying that those distractions get a lot worse when you spend the whole round mad because you're assuming that everyone else in the tournament is out to distract you and ruin your round.
You see, here you're putting words into my mouth. I never said anything about the distractions making me spend the round mad. I mentioned it later to the sponsors. I mentioned it to other competitors. At no point did it "get to me." I feel like this fact has been ignored in all of my posts. People are repeatedly saying I need to tune it out and focus on my game - I do that. All round long. I've never missed a shot because of a shirt. I've missed shots because of my own lapses in focus (I lapsed focus on every single birdie putt all weekend - missed at least 12 from 20 on in... despite making every single par putt all weekend inside of 45). Thats on me. Always.

My point is that wearing the shirts is completely unnecessary. It isn't just a fashion faux pas, its a cry for attention. Why are you out there crying for attention -wearing a shirt designed to draw the eye to you- when you should be playing a disc golf tournament and focused on the game? It is completely ridiculous.

This isn't an "I missed a shot, I have to blame someone!" thread. This is a "Your shirt is idiotic" thread.

So it doesn't affect your round, and you agree that it shouldn't really affect anyone's round, and you still think it's egregious enough to post this many times about? I'm just having a hard time seeing why it would get you this riled up if you think it's a cry for attention. Do you have an issue with people having dyes on their discs? Tattoos or piercings? What about a normal colored shirt with a funny saying? Do all of those "cries for attention" grind your gears too?

So it doesn't affect your round, and you agree that it shouldn't really affect anyone's round, and you still think it's egregious enough to post this many times about? I'm just having a hard time seeing why it would get you this riled up if you think it's a cry for attention. Do you have an issue with people having dyes on their discs? Tattoos or piercings? What about a normal colored shirt with a funny saying? Do all of those "cries for attention" grind your gears too?

I'm posting this many times because in response to one post I started getting attacked. Why the hell wouldn't I defend my point? The fact that everyone thinks I'm insane for thinking a shirt designed purely to draw the eye doesn't belong on a disc golf competitor is ludicrous to me.

You ignored my other points. Most of what people display to the world around them from clothing and equipment choices to body modifications and hairstyles could be construed the same way. Or you could just assume people are making those choices because they like how it looks and move on with your life. Like I said earlier, if they want attention for it, you're justifying that choice by giving them attention.

You ignored my other points. Most of what people display to the world around them from clothing and equipment choices to body modifications and hairstyles could be construed the same way. Or you could just assume people are making those choices because they like how it looks and move on with your life. Like I said earlier, if they want attention for it, you're justifying that choice by giving them attention.
And my point is that tattoo, that hair, those body mods? None of those are designed in exactly the same way as HV (high visibility) clothing. Which is designed explicitly to be capable of standing out from ANY background. The purpose of the shirt is to draw the eye, and it succeeds because, in part, it is one of the few colors that as a result of its reflective properties draws in light from wavelengths beyond visible and reflects them at an altered wavelength to actually BRIGHTEN the shirt beyond the way it reflects the visible spectrum. A tattoo, body mod, or hairstyle does none of that. They're not in the same class at all.

And my point is that tattoo, that hair, those body mods? None of those are designed in exactly the same way as HV (high visibility) clothing. Which is designed explicitly to be capable of standing out from ANY background. The purpose of the shirt is to draw the eye, and it succeeds because, in part, it is one of the few colors that as a result of its reflective properties draws in light from wavelengths beyond visible and reflects them at an altered wavelength to actually BRIGHTEN the shirt beyond the way it reflects the visible spectrum. A tattoo, body mod, or hairstyle does none of that. They're not in the same class at all.

You are right that tattoos and body mods and hair aren't the same as high visibility clothing.

At least with hair, tattoos, or body mods there is a generational preference against them that is only a little stupid.

Hatred of a shirt of any color, even one that lights up, is so stupid it gives me a migraine.

This isn't an "I missed a shot, I have to blame someone!" thread. This is a "Your shirt is idiotic" thread.

Better call the
fashion-police-7.jpg

Also I just wanted to say I could not possibly think of better way to spend my day at work. Haha this is so dumb!

Last edited:

If you think they're doing it only to get people's attention, your solution is to make a big deal about it and make it really obvious that they have your attention?

I think I'm going to start wearing these out of spite.

Never once have I thought if the color of my shirt would offend anyone......never. I can't imagine anyone that would.

You are right that tattoos and body mods and hair aren't the same as high visibility clothing.

At least with hair, tattoos, or body mods there is a generational preference against them that is only a little stupid.

Hatred of a shirt of any color, even one that lights up, is so stupid it gives me a migraine.

Better call the
fashion-police-7.jpg

Also I just wanted to say I could not possibly think of better way to spend my day at work. Haha this is so dumb!

:clap::hfive::popcorn:

At least if OP, whom(who?) from this point I will simply call Woj, does a secret santa we all know what color disc to get him.

I see it less as an attention whoring thing and more of a getting in your head thing. Akin to trash talk, which I also hate. If you can't beat someone with your game, you don't deserve to win.

I see it less as an attention whoring thing and more of a getting in your head thing. Akin to trash talk, which I also hate. If you can't beat someone with your game, you don't deserve to win.

You honestly think people wear clothing to get in your head? My guess is that it's a tiny minority of people who do that. If you're spending time worrying about how other people might be trying to play head games, you're accomplishing a whole lot more to set your game back than they are.

Disc golfers will complain about anything. Most people complain that the PDGA dress code is too strict. Now it's people wearing the wrong colors. Next, someone will bitch about what size pants people are wearing.

if someone's shirt color impacts you that much I am not sure there is help for that.

Have you watched any sport on TV before? I wouldn't consider any of the uniforms or outfits etc to be hunting camouflage. People get distracted way too easily playing DG like we are in a communist library or something. You can't control animals, cars, planes and so on.. deal with it'

Not to mention the 1 million other bigger issues in disc golf and daily life which could be hashed out. Hope your day gets better.

this