• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why so many discs?

i carry 6...sometimes a few more..sometimes less..i played an entire tounrey with 3 not long ago...carried 7 but only threw 3..some of the top pros carry maybe 20-30 but they only have 6-7 different molds

Storage is actually the reason I bought a bag in the first place, and why I upgraded to a bigger one later. After that I just filled the bag looking for that variety.

Exactly- I only usually carry about 2 more discs with my Innova competition bag than I did with my Gorilla Boy squirrel monkey, but I can carry way more beer.

If you do see me with a lot of discs, it is because I bring a couple of floaters and throw aways to courses I don't know, and/or carry duplicates of certain discs that I use often (Banshee and Teebird). Also, as others have stated, I have certain discs for shots that I hope I don't have to use- I carry a DX stingray for short hammers and shots where I need a big turn with no fade.

Our course can go from no wind to 30-40 mph in the course of a round. I like to be prepared.

I carry about 13 discs each round.. sometimes this ends up being 4 putters since I generally practice quite a bit before the round and don't want to run back to my car. The other space in my bag goes too towels, water, snacks, insect spray, etc...

I think us beginners need to carry more discs than you pros, here's why. I throw only RHBH and when I have a long hard turn to the left, it is easy to make that shot with a drone. I am currently trying to get that line with a ROC but I don't have the confidence. Last tournament, my drone ended up in the creek. Well, I played the rest of it turning my ROC, the wrong amounts into trees, either trees short or trees long. I am working on making the ROC turn like the drone but I am not there yet. Likewise for a right turn, the Stingray works good. I am VERY close with a ROC and can usually turn the ROC right tree free. But, until my skills get better, I am going to be carrying a lot of discs.

I carry a good number of discs since I joined a weekly dg club that can meet at any of 14 or so surrounding courses. Some of the courses are short and easy others are difficult and long. I found it to be easier to just bring everything instead of trying to put together a smaller course specific bag. I always end up forgetting something if I switch between bags, i.e., minis, pencils, band-aids, etc.

I would say 25% of the discs I carry are backups or are #2's of my favorite drivers/mids. I like to have discs with different levels of wear to choose from. I carry 3 putters and probably could get away with carrying 2 especially since the wind has died down in the last month or so.

I notice most/all the grand masters carry a max of about 8 discs, and they regularly kick my butt. I hope to be able to get down to about 10-12 discs someday.

Back in the day we'd have maybe 2 or 3 discs each from a common pool of about 10-15 discs between a bunch of us. There wasn't much to choose from back then - Mostly Aeros and mabye an eclipse or three and a Super Puppy. As time went on I worked my way up to about a dozen discs that I carried around, including two of those original discs just for sentimental reasons - one Aero that had, after 20+ years, managed to go way understable and unpredictable, an eclipse that now only does roller shots and that old Super Puppy. Lost a few discs recently and was down to 6 or 7 'good' discs and today got a shipment of 6 more discs. Now the dilemma is to figure out if all those discs will fit in a bag. The 'sentimental' discs will probably be retired to the disc hall of fame in my rec room with the Ultimate mementos.

So I'll now have:
Aero Champion
Aero DX
Wraith Star
Wraith Pro
Firebird Pro (this may just replace the Crush, don't like the big fade)
Leopard Pro
Dragon
Crush Pro-D
Eclipse Pro-D
Stratus Pro-D
Roc DX
Aviar DX (two)
Super Puppy (Space Shuttle stamp, must be 20+ years old, wish the plastic was grippier)

14 discs total. If this is too much discs I'll leave at home would include one of the Aeros, the Star Wraith (not grippy enough plastic, prefer the Pro), the newer Aviar, the Super Puppy and possibly the Eclipse as I think I might like the Stratus and Leopard for most of the Eclipse uses. That Stratus is one sweet under-appreciated disc, kind of like a slightly under-stable Roc. Throw it flat and hard and it turns over ever so slightly and fades back, but generally just holds whatever line you give it.

I consistently throw a lot of different molds (see below) Gateway Magic
Discraft Stratus
Discraft XS
Innova Stingray
Discraft Force
Innova Aero
Discraft Avenger SS
Discraft Impact
Innova Roc

but I also carry some "practice" discs. I like to carry a few extras to try dofferent shots with.

I think us beginners need to carry more discs than you pros, here's why. I throw only RHBH and when I have a long hard turn to the left, it is easy to make that shot with a drone. I am currently trying to get that line with a ROC but I don't have the confidence. Last tournament, my drone ended up in the creek. Well, I played the rest of it turning my ROC, the wrong amounts into trees, either trees short or trees long. I am working on making the ROC turn like the drone but I am not there yet. Likewise for a right turn, the Stingray works good. I am VERY close with a ROC and can usually turn the ROC right tree free. But, until my skills get better, I am going to be carrying a lot of discs.
This is a perfect argument as to why beginners should carry fewer discs. Being able to make any shot with most of your discs is an extremely important skill that you won't get by throwing special discs for special shots. You won't get the skills with your Roc by throwing Drones and Stingrays.

every disc i carry, 15ish, has a specific purpose. some drivers fly different than others. each one is unique and serves its purpose

I notice most/all the grand masters carry a max of about 8 discs, and they regularly kick my butt.

I think one reason (not all, don't get me wrong) that a lot of the grand masters only carry a few is because they grew up only playing with a couple. If they carried 20 discs they could have had every one ever made and some backups! (dunno if that is true but you get my point ;))
It wasn't until the last 10 to 15 years or so that there was such a wide, diverse selection of discs.

It wasn't until the last 10 to 15 years or so that there was such a wide, diverse selection of discs.

You are bang on with that statement. Back in the day I recall carrying 2 Aeros and that's it because there wasn't much choice, I liked the Aero and preferred putting with it despite it's designation back then as a distance driver.

This is a perfect argument as to why beginners should carry fewer discs. Being able to make any shot with most of your discs is an extremely important skill that you won't get by throwing special discs for special shots. You won't get the skills with your Roc by throwing Drones and Stingrays.

I don't buy into this camp. I have no problem with practicing and learning new shots and everything but to claim that everyone should force themselves to make a disc do things it might not want to instead of using the disc that is built to do it seems kind of silly.

Unless there is a 2 disc tourney you want to enter what is the point?

Yea most people its just duplicates they carry in different conditions. That way they can have the same mold but one mite be overstable, another stable, and another understable.

i can see your point bill, but having 20 discs and not knowing which one works in what condition is a hinderance not a help..as you said, "forcing" yourself to learn a few discs IS a great way to improve your game...it makes you be creative and learn a wide variety of shots(only gonna help)

I've been playing with just three discs so far (Leopard, Wolf, Aviar P&A), and I have a fourth (Buzzz) being shipped to me. I could probably use a bunch more for the sake of efficiency when I'm practicing in an open field, but for actual play on my home course, I can't imagine that more discs would help my score any. I definitely need to get better at controlling the ones that I've got, and making them do what I want.

That being said, buying discs is addictive, so more will end up in the bag, needed or not.

I carry 13, because that's what my bag holds. 13 is a lucky number right?