• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why so many discs?

just to pile on what a few people have said...

my buddy has 3 champion wraiths.
the first he bought is beat into perfection, and is too much of an old friend to get rid of
the second is perfect for a hard anhyzer
the third was recently found, an for some strange reason goes an extra 20 feet farther than the other two discs

each disc is unique, with its own idiosyncrasies to learn and master

each disc is unique, with its own idiosyncrasies to learn and master

Man that is no lie. My original 150 Gazelle is pretty beat up but can still hold a good line. I threw my new 150 class yesterday and the damn thing seems understable as hell...need to really put some stank on it and see what happens though.

I think the best thing that most people can do is go to a practice field, and throw their discs over and over,and see what they need, and what they don't need in the bag. I play a lot of technical courses, and my home course is very technical, so I like to have different discs for the certain shots I will need

I carry 18 discs in my bag. Out of those , 2 are trash discs that I use when I might have a chance of losing a disc , ( like hole #1 at Miramar Park, that is right next to a swimming pool). I also carry two floating discs, a Dragon for driving , and a Hydra, for putting near water.

I also carry three putters. I have a Soft Magnet for putts 200-100ft, and also when I need to stick the landing on a hill. My 175 Titanic, is the s**t when it comes to shots 100-30ft. I have made many long approach shots with this disc. I use a 171 Titanic for shots 30ft and in. I don't know why, but the putters 170-172 just seem to work the best for me 30ft in.

I also carry three mids. One overstable, one that flies straight, and one understable.

The rest are fairway drivers and one understable long driver, and two max drivers.

This combination works for me. I didn't figure this out overnight, I spent many , many hours in the practice field.

Right now I've got 16 discs in my bag, but I'd be fine with only about 13. I just haven't bothered to take the 2 or 3 I don't use out of my bag. Otherwise I pretty much use them all, though some much more than others.

All together I only own about 22 discs, and I'm to the point where I don't usually buy a new disc unless I lose one that's in my bag.

Question to those who say "beginners should only carry a few discs": should beginning ball golfers only carry a 5-wood, a 7-iron, and a putter? To the contrary, golf instructors advise inexperienced golfers to carry LOTS of varied wedges. The claim that beginners should force themselves to attempt shots that they're not able to execute just doesn't make sense to me. That would just lead to frustration. Shouldn't we advise people to carry a bag appropriate to their skill, rather than asking beginners to carry a bag that they can't handle? :confused:

I got 28 discs (3 are in bottom of a pond right now). Out of the 25 I have, 5 or 6 are putters that I use for putting practices. Some were freebies or hand-downs. When I play, I usually have 11 discs with me. I like having many discs for practicing at the local park.

Some discs I have are just for one reason or another. Like the Dragon, I only use it for water holes.

I carry 17 discs on the regular.
2 putters; one for most putts the other for windy putts.
5 mids; 2 Buzzzes different plastic and weight, 2 Rocs in different wear, and a drone for when overstability is needed.
10 drivers; 2 somewhat understable, 2 stable, 2 overstable, 2 max distance, and 2 for forehanding.

Question to those who say "beginners should only carry a few discs": should beginning ball golfers only carry a 5-wood, a 7-iron, and a putter? To the contrary, golf instructors advise inexperienced golfers to carry LOTS of varied wedges. The claim that beginners should force themselves to attempt shots that they're not able to execute just doesn't make sense to me. That would just lead to frustration. Shouldn't we advise people to carry a bag appropriate to their skill, rather than asking beginners to carry a bag that they can't handle? :confused:

and ball golf has what to do with disc golf?

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. I have seen many beginners, and even friends of mine who don't play very much, tend to just grab a disc and hope it does what they want it to do. I saw may friend throw a Destroyer on a 140ft hole, and I just cringed. I didn't say anything, but he could have made the same shot with his Cobra and gotten better results.

To further what I said, I think beginners should carry no more than 2-4 discs. Anymore than that, and it just becomes a guessing game. Beginners don't have the skill or the knowledge of how to hyzer or anny a disc. All they want to do , is try to get it to the basket. I have seen guys that can't throw more than 200ft asking, where is the basket on a 450 hole, like they are going to some how get remotely close to it. I tell beginners to just throw in that general direction. To turn you wrist to make the disc go where you want to go, takes time and practice. Giving someone a bag full of discs, each one with a different flight rating, to me is giving someone a handicap. They don't know what to throw, they think most discs will go straight, and they get upset, when they try to throw a disc they don't understand.

I ran into a guy who had just started and he was playing with just a DX Banshee, and he couldn't understand why all his throws kept diving to the left. I tried to explain the best I could that it was the wrong disc for him, and he should invest in a Cobra. Most people who get into the sport have no idea that the discs have different flight ratings. I wish there was some what to better explain this to beginners and people entering the sport, but I just don't know how.

Just my 2 cents.

I carry 22-25 discs on average. The reason I carry so many is because I throw forehand as much as I throw backhand. For backhand discs I throw 168g-173g and for forehand discs I throw 173g-175g. It is hard for me to use the same discs for both shots. I also like duplicates of what I throw. I always have 4-5 Destroyers in different weights, plastics, and condition. Right now I also have 4-5 different Rocs in my bag as well. I don't find it to be a distraction carrying so many discs because I'm comfortable with what I throw. If I had to break my game down it would be:
Putter: Voodoo
Mid: Rocs
Fairway: TL
Driver: Firebird
Max Distance: Destroyers, Wraith

I carry a pretty full bag. One reason is to actually get a little more exercise out of it. I haven't been going to the gym with it being "disc golf season" and it shows. I also have it set up as a solid practice bag so if I want to try different shots on a hole I can.

I carry 4 putters: 2 Sinus SPs, 2 Sinus APs
8 midranges: 2 Meteors, 2 Buzzzes, 2 Cores, and 2 Wasps
2 Teebirds (different weights), 2 Strikers (different weights), 2 Valks (different weights), a Firebird, and a couple other drivers for working out/on. Today it's a 150 Valk and Orc I believe.

So I probably have 21 or 22 discs on me at most times. It's great for me for practicing. When I play a tourney or competitive rounds with friends, I probably carry about 15. Lightens the load and generally I can tell if the wind is going to be a factor and what I need on me. And if I just hit some smaller 9 hole, I just grab a 2-3 discs out of my bag and play with those. So what I carry is more of based on what kind of round I'm playing. I feel that I would be perfectly fine with just one of the small bag with discs for a solid round. That is not a issue. I probably would be comfortable playing competitively with using 5 or 6 discs. I don't think I would feel any part of my game was missing. But then again, my game is missing plenty...

i dont see a problem with carrying 20-25...currently i carry 22...mainly because i play several different courses a week and i have different shots i use for every course...i have discs in different beat in stages as well....another reason why i carry so many is because my drives are 40% backhand, 40 % flick, 20% thumber...its never really confusing for me, i know what each one of my discs do, some of them are very similar, but im also real superstitous and on some holes theres only that "one" disc ill use..stupid i know, but its whatever makes me comfortable right?

I carry:

6 drivers: 2x Crush, 2x Surge, 1 Pred, 1 Force
4 mids: 1 Wasp, 1 Buzzz, 1 Meteor, 1 Drone (curse you, drone.)
3 putters: 1 H. Magnet, 1 S. Magnet, 1 Challenger

1 Crush and 1 Surge are newer, and the others are beat to hell. Not tired from carrying them all round, and definitely works for me.

Because I can. i carry around 15, 7 of them are my "babies" and the rest are potential babies that need working in or are working their way out of the bag.

Latest posts