• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why some holes suck...blame the chucker

I 2nd or 3rd for pics.

Think of all the great holes we could make if you didnt have to take safety into consideration. I would love to have a course in DC at the mall, and surrounding areas.

I agree you need to take chuckers into account, now I am compelled to offer unsolicited advice on the hole's design.

Is the sliver 500 feet wide, or 500 feet long? Are you saying the hole will go across the sliver, instead of along it? GPS or address?

If the hole is bad its the designers fault, not "chuckers" who might throw a bad shot.

If the hole is bad its the designers fault, not "chuckers" who might throw a bad shot.

Every now and then I have to revise the design of a hole or the location of a tee pad because I was unable to concieve how errant a throw that some beginners are capable of throwing. Not only were they capable of throwing an extremely errant shot, but they were doing it over and over and over again, not just a flash in the pan. Accurately forecasting the worst shot possible on some holes in the vicinity of streets or other safety concerns is a real challenge.

Every now and then I have to revise the design of a hole or the location of a tee pad because I was unable to concieve how errant a throw that some beginners are capable of throwing. Not only were they capable of throwing an extremely errant shot, but they were doing it over and over and over again, not just a flash in the pan. Accurately forecasting the worst shot possible on some holes in the vicinity of streets or other safety concerns is a real challenge.

yeah...theres this one particular player who throws sidearm and errantly flips his shot so far left at a high speed that I cringe as it rips past a seldom used walking path that is at 9 O clock from the tee....it amazes me and terrifies me at the same time

The problem is high speed discs and what they are capable of....these are making safe design practically impossible

This is the A-#1 biggest problem I have when I talk to parks and recreation people. For some reason, a lot of them seem to think you can put holes right next to each other or right next to streets, pavilions, etc. and everybody will throw right down the fairway. I used to have this super-beefy Tachyon LF that I gave to park people to throw so we could watch it sail waaayyy off to the left and watch the lightbulb go on.

yeah...theres this one particular player who throws sidearm and errantly flips his shot so far left at a high speed that I cringe as it rips past a seldom used walking path that is at 9 O clock from the tee....it amazes me and terrifies me at the same time

The problem is high speed discs and what they are capable of....these are making safe design practically impossible

This is actually a very interesting point. While we love all of the high speed this and that, do we really need it to have fun playing disc golf? I think that sometimes the very discs we play with are a detriment to the expansion of the game: trees, people, etc get hit and hurt by the discs. What if there was a different way where we could have as much fun ripping plastic but there was little to no detriment to the environment or people? In addition, less space is needed for courses since the discs don't fly as far...which equates to it being easier to design and implement more courses! Could be good for the game. Now, the disc manufacturers aren't going to like it. Heck, most players won't like it, but it could be a solution for places like here in the bay area where neighbors and such have been up in arms rallying against the discs themselves as a safety/environmental hazard. Could be interesting....

Great point there, Peter. I think anything faster than a speed 9 or 10 really is unnecessary in the game. It just takes more experienced and better players to get them farther. As disc speeds have risen (Katana and such), so have the number of noobs throwing them, usually farther by default and very inaccurately.

Tim S.

After all, the world distance record holder is still Christian Sandstrom with a valkyrie.

I'm actually thinking of dialing it back even further...back to 175 gram ultimate lids. Think about it: nobody gets hurt, nothing can be broken, no trees damaged by disc hits...

I think responsibility for injury to others due to discs needs to fall on the individual not the park/land owner. The only thing a land owner can do is post what discs are allowed on said property and any injury to person or property is the individuals responsibility. Of course this would be hard to uphold in court but it might deter said offenders from using high speed discs on the property if they believe the landowner is exempt from fault in case of an accident.

Aka Faux law

c'mon someone help a technophobe out...send me your e-mail and i will e-mail the pics and u post them...lol....I feel so stupid but I can't post the pics

Latest posts