• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] "Why'd I take you out of my bag?"

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I know a lot of us have been there.

You have a couple of bad shots with a disc, get frustrated with it, and decide to take it out of the bag.

Sometime down the road you decide to give it another shot. Right off the bat you feel at home with it. Parking holes, taking some ace runs. You wonder why it ever left your bag.

What's the last disc that made you feel this way?

For me it's the MVP Vector.

I took it out because I wanted something more overstable. Tried the Tensor and a few other mids, and eventually decided between the sneaky long Envy and a powered down Resistor, I can get by without an OS mid.

Received an Eclipse Vector in the mail today. Forgot how sleek and flat topped they feel.

Threw it in the field a few times. Definitely an easy 25' extra over an Envy, with more control than my Resistor.

Threw a few holes. Took ace runs at #1, #3 and #5 at Winget. Such a nice combo of glide, speed and reliable stability.

Wondering why the Vector ever left my bag. Perfect compliment to my fresh and beat Axis pair. Would happily trade for some more Eclipse Vectors.

What's the last disc you had this experience with? Think it's gonna stay for good this time?

I have a couple of these. My Amp was one of them. Wasnt was I was hoping it would be, and then one day I took it out again (although my form had improved) and it was excellent.

good topic.

for me it was the PD. the more i throw, the more i realize PPD and SPD or PPD and CPD are just a perfect 1-2 punch.

i suspect i may have a similar revelation with the destroyer in a few months if this new setup with giants and cannons or PD2 and cannons doesn't work out.

good topic.

for me it was the PD. the more i throw, the more i realize PPD and SPD or PPD and CPD are just a perfect 1-2 punch.

i suspect i may have a similar revelation with the destroyer in a few months if this new setup with giants and cannons or PD2 and cannons doesn't work out.

Man, this guy...

I couldn't agree more, I've taken my 4 PDs out of my bag that covered a **** ton of shots (I'm a mold minimalist, or I'd like to think) for escapes and trespasses for some reason (I do like that combo too). I slightly regret it and will be bagging the PDs in the foreseeable future I'm sure of it.

I'll probably go rival/patriot again first though. For funsies!

Too many discs, too little time...

Wasp & Meteor both qualify for me. Been in and out many times but keep coming back.

Oddly I never liked the Buzzz. Used to love cycling D Wasps though. For me a million times better than any other Roc shape mid. My last two got chewed by a dog right after they went OOP.

For me it was the Banshee. Had a few errant shots with it, so I took it out thinking I could just power down a Firebird or make my Eagle work in a quest to minimize my bag and after a few weeks found myself missing it. Took it out to the field just to practice, had no bad shots and wondered why I ever took it out! Today in howling cross wind that picked up my putter and threw it 30ft to the right, I actually used my Banshee to putt with for the rest of the round. Don't laugh, it worked very well in that kind of wind!

So now I bag both the Banshee and the Firebird and took the Gazelle out.

The staple DG molds:
Wizards
Rocs
Teebirds
Firebirds
PDs
Destroyers

I love these molds , have fantastic cycles of them, and they are in the bag 90% of the time. Then for some reason I decide to replace one or a couple of them, do so-so with the replacement for a few weeks, go back to them, and then wonder why I waste time and money fixing what ain't broken.

Pro Wraiths keep sneaking back in to my bag... I got one when I had just started playing. Couldn't throw a good BH but I could pump it out to 300 and at the time that was a big deal.

I started throwing a Teebird that fat and dropped it, tried a D4, Katana, Jun, and a few other discs but inberween I've learned better form and the Wraith in between all of those has gotten longer and more reliable. I can throw it close to 400 now and haven't been able to kick it just yet.

xXx left the bag for a while but after using felons and firebirds so much I really like my lower glide xXxs for cielings and ranging on similar lines.

Trespass was one of the first discs I bought but I shelved it because I was busy throwing 155g blizzard destroyers badly. Now moonshine trespasses are my most consistent distance driver along with max weight vip kings.

I had this happen with the Wraith. Wraith was the first high speed driver I ever used and had good success with it. I felt I wasn't getting the distance I wanted so I went 'all in' with the Destroyer. I also noticed that all the better players I knew were using them along with all the top pros sponsored by Innova. I did ok with the Destroyer but wasn't getting any more distance and found that I was developing really bad form because I was having to torque my body so much in order to get it up to speed.

Long story short, when I put a Wraith back in my bag last year it was a joyful reunion. I worked on my mechanics and found that was the issue not the the disc. It's ok to know that I top off at speed 11 discs and for me control is more important than speed.

The example that came to mind for me was more about plastic than mold.

I carry a BT hard and soft Harp and use the BT hard for my 200' approaches and the BT soft for lesser distances that I need some stick and stay. My issue is the soft can sometimes be hard for me to let go. I take it out of the bag and then a couple of weeks later it's back in the bag and I seem to overcome the sticky finger syndrome for a while...

Each time it goes back in the bag I seem to master it a little more. The BT medium stuff doesn't seem to do either chore as well for me as the 2 discs though. Goldilocks?

Stalker. It was the first disc I bought. Took it out when my arm speed increased and my form didn't change so I kept turning it over. Pulled it out of storage for a hole I was having trouble with, getting lots of bogeys on. Birdied with the Stalker and now I have a Stalker in 3 different plastics.

Opto Pure. It's so long that I figured I could just get by with a straight mid, buuuut nope.
Also, Polecat. I'm just more comfortable throwing it than other baseline putters for drives and upshots.
I'm done trying to replace either one.

Bought some wizards a little over a year ago because everyone says they are the best. Didn't stick with them long enough to get used to the deepness.

12 months later after bagging other deeper mids I revisited Wizards and doubt they will leave the bag again. Just such a perfect putt/approach disc.

I de-bagged my Pure-Envy combo last summer. The Envy was my second putter and my Pure was my third. I liked the way both flew but kept on having problems with the Envy rolling away (yes, the Envy is more active on the ground than most!) and grip locking the Pure. I picked up the PA1 and jived with it(I figured out later the PA1 simply hid my bad form), moved on the the jOKERI and Wizard combo, and so on.
One day I noticed that the Pure had flashing all around the edge. I trimmed it off, and !BAM!, instant awesome disc.
About a month ago I started working on getting my putting form closer to Cam Todd's and figured out the N Envy is super for that form.
Now I am back to my original Pure-Envy combo for inside the circle putting. I may wonder off and try the Spike-Atom combo....but for some reason I figure I'll be back.

Gizards and Magic- tried replacing with jk aviars and grid aviars
Buzzz- tried replacing with mcpro roc3 and truths (similar but not the same to me!)
Firebird- no comment except their is no replacement and I was an idiot for trying
Xcal- had a bunch before I jumped on the mvp bandwagon (no offense!) and sold them all. Spent lots of $$ trying to get them back
Axiom envy- thought I could get by with gizards for flick putts but always come back to this

Wraiths....I used to throw Pro Wraiths back when they felt more like Star plastic...those things were money. I had at least one in every stage of wear and they were incredible. Then all the sudden I started losing them left and right. Ended up switching over to Swords, that was about the time they had been released. Really got into them and threw them for probably almost a year. Windier season was upon us and the Swords just weren't cutting it anymore. Put some older run Champ Wraiths in the bag and couldn't believe I had been wasting my time on anything else.

Latest posts