• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter DG Shoes

Dang you guys have some pretty hardcore boots you wear during winter. I went out and found a pair of Keen KOVEN WP WIDE in the bargain bin at Cabella's for about 40 bucks off so I am going to try them out. Thank you very much for all the info guys.

Yaktrax on hiking boots or shoes have worked well for me in Wisconsin.

:hfive:
Have a pair of Walker and Pro for the winter DG in Michigan, becoming a big fan quickly. I would lean towards the Pro version as the extra strap over the boot top adds a little more security especially in deeper snow. But these seem just about perfect for winter DG.

Snowboard boots are way too bulky/heavy for disc golf. I'd fall over on the tee trying to run up with an x step.

you guys are frickin nuts

im impressed.

why not snowboarding boots though?

I used to wear these overboots in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska when I worked in the oilfield. The bottom has amazing traction with replaceable/removable studs. Even in the coldest Minnesota wether your feet will stay both warm and dry. X - steps might be a little tough though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 30
Snowboard boots are way too bulky/heavy for disc golf. I'd fall over on the tee trying to run up with an x step.

not to mention most snowboard boots force your knees to be over the balls of your feet. That would be kind of awkward for discing.

also, i have decided to stop pursuing super warm boots and socks and get to the root of the problem: clammy feet. caused by sweat.

i will be experimenting with ways to reduce sweat via antiperspirant. i don't have super sweaty feet, just enough to make me cold. instead of piling on insulation and attempting to have enough wicking layers, i will be utilizing VBL (vapor barrier layer) socks (aka the old plastic bag over the sock inside the boot method) and a lighter, yet warm, boot. i have a feeling this will work much better over the course of a day on the course. once you accept that your feet are going to sweat no matter what, it's a matter of using it to your knowledge to your advantage and working with what you've got. so we're gonna try the VBL and i have high hopes instead of just piling on more insulation.

at least that's what i'm telling myself.

a plastic bag on your foot will make it sweat less?!

not quite. the idea is that it will sweat but at a certain point will not sweat any longer. the barrier between the moisture and the cold air will prevent evaporative cooling, which is a major part of what causes that cold, clammy foot. it's why i have cold feet all the time.

basically, you wear a wicking sock. you put the vapor barrier liner over that. then another sock over that if you so choose. you will sweat, but your sweat will stay next to your foot. your foot will keep it warm. you won't be in a puddle but you will form a little microclimate inside your bag or VBL that will be protected as long as outside air does not get in.

combine that with waterproof, warm boots and a second sock. your boots will stay dry, your foot will be a little sweaty, but warmer because your boots are dry and you aren't relying on your socks to soak everything up. just need a sacrificial pair of socks and you're good to go.

i'll try it and report back. i think it could provide a very easy solution to the winter cold feet problem. it relies on your body heat being kept close and your boot being dry. much more reliable than relying on lots of layers and wicking action IMO.

Last edited:
this explains it a bit better. i've read a lot more informative and technical literature over the course of the last few days, but this one keeps it simple.

http://sectionhiker.com/vapor-barrier-socks/

the idea is that if i'm walking and then standing still, walking around in the snow and sub zero temps, generating heat, that is exactly what this sort of application is designed for. it may just save me cash on boots as well.

worst case scenario i'm out to plastic bags.

Last edited:
snagged a pair of vasque snow junkie boots today. kept me dry despite the slop. hopefully the toes hold up; i don't see why they wouldn't. very light for a full boot, i was quite happy. we will see if i can develop a sock system that keeps me warmer in the truly frigid stuff; these only have 200g insulation and i don't know if that's going to hack it at 0F. but my shoes will be dry at least since they are waterproof and that in and of itself will probably make staying warm much easier. gonna try that vapor barrier layer trick with these.

targee 2 keen wp mids are da bomb diggity fo sho - working great for me, super grip and waterproof even in crappy conditions. The shizbeezneez imo!

Latest posts