• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter Golf

So, not that I'll have to use this, well, maybe, but who knows...do ya just tape it on there and it doesn't mess with the flight path too awful much? Pretty neat trick though.

It doesn't snow a lot around here (avg like 16" per season) but it does get pretty cold and stay that way so the most important thing I can do is layer appropriately. Gortex boots/shoes, wool socks, under armor or long underwear base layers, and a couple of shirts (mostly base layer + long sleeve + heavy hooded outer layer). Oh, and hand warmers. Since it doesn't snow a lot typically I don't even worry about playing in it if there's more than 2-3 inches on the ground. I'd rather wait a week or two.

My bag never changes much during the year, but I definitely throw a lot more pro, dx, and star during the winter months. Also switch from classic hard to classic soft judges for better putting grip.

Army surplus store, the military makes some seriously warm articles of clothing. Gortex(rain and wind resistant) to top it all off and you are good to go.

7. Do not play on snow covered tees. Especially if it's wet snow, the tracks will freeze and the person that comes later on to shovel will hate your guts. Ideally, bring a shovel and clear them off, you, everyone you're playing with, and everybody that comes after you will appreciate it. It's a thankless chore and can get old as the long snowy months wear on, but it's worth it. If not, play off to the side and don't mess up the tees for the person that will shovel.

This cannot be emphasized too much. Carry a shovel or broom depending on the amount/type of snow. Raise the stakes and add to the fun -- have the high score on the prior hole shovel the next pad.

I am a shoveller, I will go out and shovel the teepads right after a snow, even when I don't have time to play, just because it pays off later. When I do have time to play, I don't want to be dealing with some jacka$$es footprints iced into the teepads for the next 3 months. That's worse than dogwalkers leaving turds on the fairway, IMO. :wall:

The ribbon usually stays above the snow to more easily find the disc.

yep. even if you throw white discs they are never as white as the snow either ;)

182667_203650189648136_5030024_n.jpg

Army surplus store, the military makes some seriously warm articles of clothing. Gortex(rain and wind resistant) to top it all off and you are good to go.

almost 15 years out of service, I still wear my Goretex cold weather pants and military issue boots for winter discing...they're lightweight and wonderful for winter golf...

This cannot be emphasized too much. Carry a shovel or broom depending on the amount/type of snow. Raise the stakes and add to the fun -- have the high score on the prior hole shovel the next pad.

I've got a small kid's shovel that fits in the umbrella side pouch perfectly, and we totally make the loser of the hole shovel the tee pad!

Adding a ribbon will stable up your disc. Like a kite tail.... One guy at my winter league was selling Swiss army gators. $15 a pair, and wool lined. With those one some guys were playing in tennis shoes.

One guy at my winter league was selling Swiss army gators. $15 a pair, and wool lined. With those one some guys were playing in tennis shoes.

How can gators manage to move when it is that cold? And why would the Swiss army have any? Good price though, given how much they bring per foot in the south.

No snow here. When it's cold I use a UA cold gear compression top under a windbreaker. I'll wear a light jacket over that for the first few holes until I warm up. I may have to try out that gator thing though . . .

We use present ribbon. 2' long. Stay away from dollar store ribbon and tape. Make sure the disc is warm when putting on tape. I used this setup a couple years now. The swivel keep the ribbon from fluttering, and pulling the ribbon under.

Great idea with the swivel. I have handfuls in the fishing section of the man closet. Do most tape ribbon to the bottom of the disc??

Hey Bill. Rumor has improvement being done out at your place. Anything you want to share??

7. Do not play on snow covered tees. Especially if it's wet snow, the tracks will freeze and the person that comes later on to shovel will hate your guts. Ideally, bring a shovel and clear them off, you, everyone you're playing with, and everybody that comes after you will appreciate it. It's a thankless chore and can get old as the long snowy months wear on, but it's worth it. If not, play off to the side and don't mess up the tees for the person that will shovel.

I am a shoveller, I will go out and shovel the teepads right after a snow, even when I don't have time to play, just because it pays off later. When I do have time to play, I don't want to be dealing with some jacka$$es footprints iced into the teepads for the next 3 months. That's worse than dogwalkers leaving turds on the fairway, IMO. :wall:

This was my biggest pet peeve when I lived in Rochester, MN. Don't be a selfish douc***wad and tee from the unshoveled tee pads. You can literally f**** up the tee pads for the rest of the winter - which can be SIX months long in Minnesota.

If you don't bring a shovel, you don't get to play from the concrete tees.....got it?

Wow, that still makes me angry over 10 years later. It is a lot of hard work to keep tees clean and one thoughtless moron can ruin it for everyone. Now that I live in So Cal, I never have to shovel tees and I never have to wear boots! However, selfish idiots that step on the snowy tee pads still piss me off.:wall:

It is a lot of hard work to keep tees clean and one thoughtless moron can ruin it for everyone.

It's not that hard at all, if you can get to the virgin snow before the thoughtless morons trample all over it. Fortunately, thoughtless morons tend to sleep in.

It's not that hard at all, if you can get to the virgin snow before the thoughtless morons trample all over it. Fortunately, thoughtless morons tend to sleep in.

It is not as hard to keep tees clean down south in Iowa. Plus you all have regular thawing. (I lived there for 12 years!)

Often the snow happens the night before you have to work all day. The thoughtless morons apparently don't have jobs.

Last edited:
-the nalgenes go away, and the thermos & (winter) flask come out.
-my winter bag lives in the garage or car to remain at ambient temp, unless I need to tape on lights.
-I've been wearing these gaiters for the last few seasons, and they make a huge difference.
-I like the little telescoping trunk shovels for clearing off teepads, along with a smallish stiff-bristle deck brush that I cut down the handle on just to carry a little easier. In all but the worst slushy/icy/hardpack conditions it doesn't take but a minute of work, and is completely worth it for mostly clean winter pads. Makes that second round so nice, too, when you get rewarded with snow golf on dry teepads.
-bourbon.

Salting the teepads is a good thing to do too. Melts the ice AND it's gritty to give some grip.
Yaktrax for the feet help too. I've got this thing about staying on my feet, in case you haven't noticed.

Snowpants are a bit too much, so instead I wear rainpants over jeans over underarmor type pants.

A couple of advantages to winter discing.
1) You will find yourself throwing from a standstill. A LOT. This helps improve your game overall. Which leads to my second point...
2) When Spring finally arrives (Thank God!), you can hit the ground running, so to speak, whilst all the pansies who did not play winter golf are still trying to get their game back.

Yikes.

Supposed to be hovering at 0 degrees for our glow round tomorrow night.

Helloooooo, winter!

Latest posts