• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter Golf

Here's what real winter golf looks like. Snowshoe disc golf in the mountains of Colorado.

We have had to start shoveling out the baskets.

Attachments

• 10354598_933415643360018_2882855703927852841_n.jpg
    10354598_933415643360018_2882855703927852841_n.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 111
I personally have just started heading to warmer areas to play. Right now, I'm currently on my way to Pensacola while my home state is getting blasted with snow and sub zero.

Chiefstang has been putting a killer glow league on. I have been enjoying snow golf more than I have in years this year. I am just waiting for one of my ace runs to drop, I could use some $.

Glow especially (not just winter) is an excuse to run a minimal bag.
My winter glow bag is:
Sp Force
Sp Tsunami
Z XL
Sp Aftershock
Z comet
Mercy

No broken discs for me. And suprisingly no grip issues.

I have thrown a couple rounds at our local courses only a stroke or two off my PR.

I've actually reverted to throwing my normal bag this winter instead of a smaller bag made up of backups. The only discs I swapped to make this happen was a black Wizard replaced a glow (still using a well-beat glow as well) and I took out my two Elite Pro XLs and add a beat to heck FLX XL and am liking that as a fairway turnover disc a lot so it'll probably stay in after winter is over if I don't lose it. Also hoping I can get my G* Teebird beat in to replace a new Elite Pro XL.

The one disc I really want is a Frost line Fuse.

I never use ribbons and I don't lose discs. I just pay attention to where they go.

If someone else throws without ribbons and doesn't watch their disc, I won't help them find it, when it inevitably gets lost.

I never use ribbons and I don't lose discs. I just pay attention to where they go.

If someone else throws without ribbons and doesn't watch their disc, I won't help them find it, when it inevitably gets lost.

There are going to be fluke shots though. Today I watched and noted where my Comet kicked off a tree and landed in the open field and it still took me 20 minutes of kicking up snow to find it, and the snow was no more than 1 to 2 inches in spots. In other spots there was even grass visible and it was my part of the Twin Cities that got hit the hardest a week or two ago.

I used to never play with ribbons but once I found a method of duct taping so it never comes off of certain plastics, I prep them early in the year and if I know where I am playing has more than two inches of snow, I have no issues playing with those select discs. I would rather play at a slight loss of performance than not play at all and or spending the majority of my time looking and kicking up snow.

Several people around here have also started using carpenters chalk (the kind you use in a chalk line) to make their disc easier to find. You put some in a small cotton pouch like a rosin bag and then just dust some around the rim. Wherever you disc goes in the snow, you have a colorful mark.

I played yesterday here in Charlotte. After a few inches of icey/snow it was rough. Tee pads frozen over. Tried scraping them but it had warmed up just enough around mid-day then cooled again that they were frozen solid. Lovely ice...

Also found that discs slide much much farther on the ice.

if snow is more than 4" a good pair of boots and gaiters are a wonderful combination.

I threw a nice drive today with a tern.... hyzerflipped up faded out a tad and went fast towards the hole 370ft away... it dived down and looked like I landed within the circle... but alas it was nowhere to be found :(

I'm starting to hate the snow and winter.

Last edited:
I'm very reluctant to try ribbons...the performance factor is an issue for me because for some reason I play some of my best golf in the winter...I have heard of people using blue billiards chalk around the rim of the disc because it leaves a blue streak/trail before the disc goes below the top of the snow. Anyone have any experience with chalk? Does it work?

I'm very reluctant to try ribbons...the performance factor is an issue for me because for some reason I play some of my best golf in the winter...I have heard of people using blue billiards chalk around the rim of the disc because it leaves a blue streak/trail before the disc goes below the top of the snow. Anyone have any experience with chalk? Does it work?

To be honest assuming we are playing in a situation where I need them, I can't tell the difference between my ribbonned discs and those without. I have a few pairs of discs with only 1 ribbonned and at times will throw the one w/o ribbon. The boots, bad footing, and layers make much more of in impact.

But....what I have noticed is spending time searching for discs and worrying that I'll lose one does have an impact. So, if there is more than ~6" of snow I'm generally throwing a ribboned disc.

16578928261_4e7f16f325_b.jpg

ROLLER ACE!...

Just kidding. It was a tough round but I got this one for par.

Can't imagine a round on the East Coast with the weather that's unloading all sorts of precipitation and cold. Anyone play out in that nasty stuff? If so, post pics.

VT Ice Bucket on Jan 31st was subzero all day! At least a foot of snow on the ground and windy! I took me two days to recover physically, and we played from the shortees... whew, winter disc golf is often a necessity just to make it through, but it is def a work out and sometimes the snow and extra clothing prevent body movement and inevitably you'll feel like you awkwardly torqued some part of your body after the round, but again, necessary!

p.s. Ribbons! It makes it sooo much easier, especially if you're playing with others, without them the time spent searching can make the round twice as long and no one wants to spend extra time in the cold looking for a disc in the snow!

Can't imagine a round on the East Coast with the weather that's unloading all sorts of precipitation and cold. Anyone play out in that nasty stuff? If so, post pics.

we got little snow yesterday.

Attachments

• 20150218_125940.jpg
    20150218_125940.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts