• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter is here....

My parent's live in NC. I look forward to going down there for Christmas every year because it gives me a chance to get out and play in a t-shirt. I even went for a quick dip in the lake last December!

You know those tears flow both ways. Last week I was playing with a guy from Maine who said the heat was getting to him. It was in the lower 70s and dry.

The heat bothered me a bit at the USDGC this year. High temps aren't enough to keep me off the course, but I would rather keep the mercury below 80.

Its usually the deep snow that keeps me from playing, not the temperature.

Being in steamboat you have a pretty good drive to get down to the front range (Coloradans winter DG destination). I drove down to CHU for the winter warriors kick off on Saturday. It was roughly an hour drive for me which isn't bad. Colorado may get more snow than illinois (where I'm from) but at least here in Colorado, you can usually escape the harsh temps of the mountains with a drive down to the front range.

Living in the Midwest, much like the northeast, it would take at least 5 hrs drive to get to better temps than where you were at. And that drive wasn't always a guarantee.

My parent's live in NC. I look forward to going down there for Christmas every year because it gives me a chance to get out and play in a t-shirt. I even went for a quick dip in the lake last December!

The heat bothered me a bit at the USDGC this year. High temps aren't enough to keep me off the course, but I would rather keep the mercury below 80.

Try visiting in July.

I would certainly not suggest that southern summers are more severe than northern winters. And yet, when the temp passes 100 and the humidity tries to also, in mid-afternoon, there are lot of people who live here and don't want to play. It can really be tough on visitors from cooler climes, who aren't acclimated to it.

I'm with the O.P. in that, given sufficient liquid, it never gets too hot for me. I've played in 5" snow at in the low 20s, and will pass on future invitations to do so---in part because, in South Carolina, I know I can wait 3 days and it will be dry and temperate again.

Try visiting in July.

I would certainly not suggest that southern summers are more severe than northern winters. And yet, when the temp passes 100 and the humidity tries to also, in mid-afternoon, there are lot of people who live here and don't want to play. It can really be tough on visitors from cooler climes, who aren't acclimated to it.

I'm with the O.P. in that, given sufficient liquid, it never gets too hot for me. I've played in 5" snow at in the low 20s, and will pass on future invitations to do so---in part because, in South Carolina, I know I can wait 3 days and it will be dry and temperate again.

Likewise, try visiting ND in July/August...you'll be surprised to find that we commonly hit 90+ with high humidity. I wouldn't suggest that we in ND have the most severe weather swings and play in the same climate you have right here in ND...but maybe i am. :D. Regardless, i think it's made me a better all-around player. (And no it's not all flat here, we're in badland territory here too).

Likewise, try visiting ND in July/August...you'll be surprised to find that we commonly hit 90+ with high humidity. I wouldn't suggest that we in ND have the most severe weather swings and play in the same climate you have right here in ND...but maybe i am. :D. Regardless, i think it's made me a better all-around player. (And no it's not all flat here, we're in badland territory here too).

I traveled across N.D. one year. It was hot, and a day behind me it was 108 degrees. Not as humid as the Deep South, but pretty hot.

I think the western half of the state is beautiful, in its own stark way.

Winter made it to south Florida. It was 62 when I woke up Saturday. The high this weekend in Ft. Lauderdale was 72. Who's ready to throw?

Everything's relative, isn't it? Even within regions.

I was in Montana one summer, telling a native that it was beautiful, but I'd hate to be there in winter. He said he'd spent winters in North Dakota, compared to which Montana winters were balmy.

Last winter I was at a tournament in Florida. It was about 60 degrees and we were happy to be in shorts and tee shirts. Half the local players had jackets and ski caps on that morning.

Try visiting in July.

I do visit in the summer as well. And I grew up in VA, so the southern climate is not foreign to me.

I think the highest temps I've played in were around 95 and the coldest was in the teens. While both were uncomfortable conditions, the cold was definitely harder to play in. In the cold you have to deal with slippery conditions that make it tough to get good footing, extra layers that restrict movement, and cold hands that make gripping a disc tough. The heat is exhausting, but the only real affect it has on the game is sweaty hands causing some grip issues.

I disagree with the OP though. Winter is not here yet in NH. And if it's not winter in NH, it's definitely not winter in NC. I can still go play in long pants and a light hoodie. For our team challenge match on Saturday, our biggest weather challenge was the rain. It doesn't rain in winter.

I traveled across N.D. one year. It was hot, and a day behind me it was 108 degrees. Not as humid as the Deep South, but pretty hot.

I think the western half of the state is beautiful, in its own stark way.

Thats a good way to put it, the flat stuff people think is ND is just the very eastern part of the state...I enjoyed AZ when i played there, to me it seems easier to play in the high heat with low humidity. Although, hot is hot and wears a person down regardless.

Every time someone bumps this thread up, I keep hearing...

I disagree with the OP though. Winter is not here yet in NH. And if it's not winter in NH, it's definitely not winter in NC. I can still go play in long pants and a light hoodie. For our team challenge match on Saturday, our biggest weather challenge was the rain. It doesn't rain in winter.

That's true, but we're in the Winter Preview stage at the moment. Our temps have been the same as our January averages, and we had snow Saturday morning---and we often go a couple of years between snowfalls.

What winter we have, arrives about mid-December.

That's true, but we're in the Winter Preview stage at the moment. Our temps have been the same as our January averages, and we had snow Saturday morning---and we often go a couple of years between snowfalls.

The snow in South Carolina made national news, we heard about it in California.

Wow, you got snow before we did!

I know it snowed a bit in MA on Sunday, but in NH, I never saw a flake.

The forecast for this week has temps potentially reaching 60 with a chance of rain. Definitely not winter yet....

Wow, you got snow before we did!

I know it snowed a bit in MA on Sunday, but in NH, I never saw a flake.

The forecast for this week has temps potentially reaching 60 with a chance of rain. Definitely not winter yet....

Yeah, it snowed here in Maine yesterday (upwards of 15 inches Downeast and north). Got enough here to coat the ground during our tournament, but it was gone by sunset. The wind was definitely more of a playing factor than the snow. And yeah, 50s and 60s tomorrow and Wednesday definitely makes the last couple days a teaser rather than the arrival of winter.

Winter in NC is all about the big temperature swings. It will be in the 30s and cloudy and breezy in the morning and then in the afternoon you can play in short sleeves after the sun comes out and it hits 65.

We will have several days of overnight lows in the teens and then go right back to highs in the 70s. Last year I was shoveling snow off my driveway in shorts and a t-shirt and broke a sweat.

We will have several days of overnight lows in the teens and then go right back to highs in the 70s. Last year I was shoveling snow off my driveway in shorts and a t-shirt and broke a sweat.

Even in the bitter cold here I tend to shed a few layers while I shovel my driveway.

Ugh. Winter is when you have to bring your discs in from the trunk at night so they are nice a pliable when you get a early morning round in. Yesterday was in the low 50s and I had to play with cold plastic. /southernwhining/

Latest posts