• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

wolfhaley to KY and such. 2024

Then it was off to Holler in the Hills. @PastorofMuppets has played it before. We never have. He said this was the best it's looked in probably 4 years. I'm glad we got to experience this one. I thought I'd missed my chance as recently as last year. The course was rough but definitely playable. What a great piece of land for a course. There's some unforgettable holes out there. Very cool experience.

I'll have to add it back to my list. I walked around and played a few random holes last Fall, but UDisc or my phone was not being very helpful so I left. With the rain and warm weather, it might be a jungle by the time I get down there.

Second was Seviren Lang. Fun course but vastly overrated on here. It's a good course but is by no means a 4.2 rated course. 3.5 max. Back in the day this would've warranted that but it's kinda average today.

I was disappointed by my brief visit last Fall. I was only able to play the front nine, though, and will still keep it on my list.

Reading this is really making me want to get plan a little trip down to southern IN! Jasper looks like it's got a few courses and then I could maybe swing down to Evansville then hop the state line for cheap gas and better whiskey

Day 8 done. 5 new courses, including #1000.

Started of driving down to Mesker park. Played Mesker Park then Mesker Woods. Both were really fun courses in a nice park. Really enjoyed both but Woods gets the slight edge because it's ALL wooded holes. Well except 18 but I can deal with that.

Then we headed to Prides Creek for course 1000 for me. Not sure how that's considered the best course in IN on here. It's got a lake you play near but the course itself kinda sucks. Oh well, it's another top rated in a state course (for now).

We had a little extra time so I hit Richland M.S. which I had added over the winter. Took pictures and got a quick round in there. Not very exciting but a quick bag.

Then we headed ten minutes north to play Kiwanis/Rotary DGC, also in Olney IL. Surprisingly solid course. Looks like the recently redesigned it and for the better. It also plays along a lake and is way better than Prides. It's kind of a shame it's in the middle of nowhere. Good course.

Weather looks shitty tomorrow so I'm going to kind of wing it and see what we end up playing. I wanted to play The Spillway but not sure if that's going to happen. We'll bag a few regardless though.

. . . Played Mesker Park then Mesker Woods. Both were really fun courses in a nice park.

I hoped y'all would enjoy the Meskers.

Then we headed to Prides Creek for course 1000 for me. Not sure how that's considered the best course in IN on here.

Congrats on course 1,000 from the perspective of someone less than halfway there. 👍

And I agree about Prides Creek. I thought it was a nice park course, but not much more.

Good luck with the weather tomorrow!

Congratulations on #1000
As I offer every 1000+ bagger, come by my store in the Dallas area and I will buy you a pizza :p

If you are on facebook, we do have a 1000+ page. I think you may be about the 40th 1000+ course collector we know about.

Day 9 in the books. 4 new courses.

Started off by playing the Spillway in Pana IL. This course was ridiculous. 10,500 feet of hilly wooded golf. It's still very raw but I don't get the point. It's one thing to make a long course but this one is insane. @elmexdela won't even dig this one (but he should wishlist it just to see) 😁
It is heavily wooded.

Then we hit Tower Hill DGC just down the road. Total opposite of the Spillway. Wide ass open small town 9. Pretty lackluster for sure. It was starting to rain so we headed north where it looked clearer.

Hit up Starved Rock in Ogelsby first. Really fun mix of park style with a few trees to more wooded and hilly on the back half. Played the black (long) tees and really enjoyed this one. Nothing amazing but a damn fun course.

Had a little extra time so we played Illinois Valley Community College, mainly so we wouldn't have to tomorrow. This one was a pleasant surprise. I mean, it wasn't amazing but it was pretty well designed and was much better than expected.

Last day tomorrow. Going to hit the Quarry and Baker for sure. Maybe one or two others depending how tired we are. It'll be nice to sleep in my own bed though tomorrow night. We're starting to drag ass at this point 🥱

Day 10. 3 courses

Last day thankfully. Must've tweaked my lower back yesterday cuz it wasn't cooperating today. Doesn't matter really.

Started at The Quarry at Rotary Park. Shockingly not a 5. More like a 3 max. Pretty solid for what there was to work with. Played the longs except the last water carry and 18. It's not terrible we'll say.

Then hit Baker Lake. Literal definition of park style golf. Just what the I needed at this point lol.

For some damn reason drove to Echo Bluff and played that. Oof.

IMG_20240424_125223395.jpg

Limped home after that. Great trip altogether though. I'm tired now. Any questions or concerns? I'll answer them tomorrow 😜

I'm going to sleep now dammit. 🥱

Seems like a good trip. We lived in Louisville for about 9 years and left in 2017. One thing about that irks me about my stay in Louisville is that I never got around to playing Arrowhead. I know they had some issues with the city but that seems to have been resolved. There are some other courses like Ryan's Course that was installed after we left that I didn't get to play. Reading about your trip is making me feel nostalgic.

Was Arrowhead your favorite out of the entire trip? Where would you rank the courses?

Kind of surprised that you didn't like Prides. We loved it, but it wasn't covered in geese poop when we played it. Would have probably changed my perspective.

Kind of surprised that you didn't like Prides. We loved it, but it wasn't covered in geese poop when we played it. Would have probably changed my perspective.

I mean it was fine. I didn't find anything special about the place. Really just felt like a pretty average park course to me. Certainly not a 4.5 imo.

Was Arrowhead your favorite out of the entire trip? Where would you rank the courses?

I think I misread your original question. My bad. I won't go over every course and list them by best to worst. But I'll list my top 10 favorite courses on this trip. Maybe that's what you meant.

1: Arrowhead
2: Boylan Acres - Extreme
3: Lapping Memorial
4: Mesker Woods
5: Camp Cullom
6: Boylan Acres - Arduous
7: Wolf Knob
8: Holler in the Hills
9: Foxlands
10: Haubstadt Johnson DGC

And just for fun. Worst five courses.

1: Little Flock Baptist Church