• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

wolfhaley to TN/NC and back

So I had settled on Rotary Park and Indian Rock in Huntington. Anybody want to try and talk me into the 2 Armco courses instead. I doubt it'll change my mind but you never know :D

A little out of the way, but a side trip to the New River Gorge is well worth it. You can pick a fun little 9 holer, Ravens Ridge while you are there. I really like Redeemer and Wine Cellar near Charleston.

So I had settled on Rotary Park and Indian Rock in Huntington. Anybody want to try and talk me into the 2 Armco courses instead. I doubt it'll change my mind but you never know :D

I Played Armco Blue and white, both are really good examples of a well done city park, with the Blue being the more advanced course but, none the less they were enjoyable. I'd recommend Crazy 8 too. Not to often in life does one get to play disc golf with a World Champ.

I Played Armco Blue and white, both are really good examples of a well done city park, with the Blue being the more advanced course but, none the less they were enjoyable. I'd recommend Crazy 8 too. Not to often in life does one get to play disc golf with a World Champ.

Scratch that it was Lucky 8 but, either course is at Johnny Sias's place.

So, definitely hit up Hidden Ridge in Kentucky. On this last spring road trip I spent two days there and absolutely loved it. Plan on making it a stop on my 2022 road trip as well. My suggestion for Indiana on your way home is Boylan Acres two very nicely done 18's and by far my favorite Indiana courses to date.

So, definitely hit up Hidden Ridge in Kentucky. On this last spring road trip I spent two days there and absolutely loved it. Plan on making it a stop on my 2022 road trip as well. My suggestion for Indiana on your way home is Boylan Acres two very nicely done 18's and by far my favorite Indiana courses to date.

I haven't looked into Boylan Acres. Appreciate the suggestion, I'll look into that tonight. Definitely going to hit up Hidden Ridge though. It looks fantastic.

A little out of the way, but a side trip to the New River Gorge is well worth it. You can pick a fun little 9 holer, Ravens Ridge while you are there. I really like Redeemer and Wine Cellar near Charleston.

Where's New River Gorge? I found Raven's Ridge. Is it called something else on here? Great info on Redeemer and Wine Cellar too. Redeemer definitely piqued my interest. I'll read some more about them tonight.

I assume he's referring to New River Gorge National Park. Our country's newest NP.

All right. Here's the new, road trip plan.

Day 1- To Shelbyville KY
Drive all day, no golf

Day 2- To Morristown TN
Panther Creek- 18 holes
Morristown Kiwanis- 18 holes

Day 3- To Johnson City TN
Harmon Hills- 27 holes
Warriors Path- 27 holes
Sugar Hollow- 18 holes

Day 4- Sugaree (Staying in Johnson City)
Sugaree- ? holes

Day 5- Still in JC, backup Sugaree day if unplayable onday 4 due to weather.
Winged Deer- 18 holes
Steele Creek- 18 holes

Day 6- To Wilkesboro NC
Ashe County Park- 18 holes
Ft. Hamby Park- 18 holes

Day 7- To Charleston WV
Rolling Pines DGC- 18 holes
Glenwood Park- 18 holes

Princeton City Park- 18 holes (maybe)

Day 8- To Huntington WV
Valley Park- 18 holes
Rotary Park- 18 holes
Indian Rock- 18 holes

Day 9- To Florence KY
Armco Park-White- 19 holes
Armco Park-Blue- 18 holes

Day 10- Daytonish OH
Hidden Ridge- 18 holes
Osage Grove- 24 holes (maybe)

Day 11- To Joliet IL
Echo Valley- 18 holes
Caeser Ford Championship- 18 holes
Caeser Ford Campground- 9 holes (Probably)

Day 12- Limp home and take a nap :D
Probably hit up a 9 holer or two on the way back. I think there's a few new ones that have popped up that I can bag.

I'm pretty content with this lineup. Should be pretty epic if it goes as planned. Quality not quantity for this trip, and this certainly seems to check all the boxes for that.

Dayton local here, just saw this thread. Strongly agree with your plan for day 11, but be aware that Caesar Ford Campground no longer has 9 holes. Only 7 are playable IIRC, and they're nothing to write home about. I hosted a glow round there, and the rough is nasty and eats discs.

Alright, Booked the rooms so it's official now. (except where I stay in IN on day 11)

Day 1: Driving to Shelbyville KY. No disc, just driving.

Day 2: Driving to Morristown TN
Panther Creek- 18 holes
Morristown Kiwanis- 18 holes

Day 3: To Johnson City TN
Harmon Hills- 27 holes
Warrior's Path- 27 holes

Maybe something else, Sugar Hollow if anything.

Day 4: Johnson City TN
Sugaree- Lots of holes!!!
Winged Deer- 18 holes

This is all speculative at best right now. If all goes amazing, this is the plan.

Day 5: Johnson City TN
Backup Sugaree/Winged Deer day.

If I hit all on the first 4 days, maybe Steele Creek and/or Borden Park. Maybe.

Day 6: To Wilkesboro NC
Ashe County Park- 18 holes
Ramcat- 22 holes

Day 7: To Charleston WV
Ft. Hamby- 18 holes
Rolling Pines- 18 holes
Glenwood park- 18 holes

Day 8: To Huntington WV
Valley Park- 18 holes
Indian Rock- 18 holes
Rotary Park- 18 holes

Day 9: To Dry Ridge KY
Armco Park-White- 19 holes
Armco Park Blue- 18 holes

Day 10: To Springboro OH
Hidden Ridge- 18 holes
Osage Grove- 24 holes

Day 11: To somewhere in IN :D
Echo Valley- 18 holes
Caeser Ford Championship- 18 holes

Day 12: Home
Take a nap- 1-8 hours

Looks like a fabulous trip!

Computer is on the fritz so I can't look it up but - if you are anywhere near Mayflower Hills and have not played it yet, I would give that strong consideration. The course instantly made my favorites list.

Looks like a fabulous trip!

Computer is on the fritz so I can't look it up but - if you are anywhere near Mayflower Hills and have not played it yet, I would give that strong consideration. The course instantly made my favorites list.

I'll be nearish to Mayflower hills but that'll have to be a different trip. Lots of good looking options in VA so it shouldn't be too had to get that one on a different trip. Definitely on my radar though.

does ashe county course look a little too open or just me

There are open aspects on some holes, but even those are challenging and not because of distance. Make no mistake it is a NC mountain, mostly wooded course. I have seen some truly monumental, huuuge air shots pulled off on that course by average but accurate golfers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
https://youtu.be/49GNjYFeffI

I don't know what course the "Jerm's nightmare hole" at the beginning of this clip was on, but it looks almost identical to one on the Ashe County course.... just as a frame of reference don't ya know. [emoji106][emoji23][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

does ashe county course look a little too open or just me

After hole 1, most of the holes on the front 9 are mixes of open and woods -- throw across open but hit a windowinto the woods, or try to get out of tight woods into the open. With a few parks-style holes with individual trees as obstacles. The back 9 is more brutally wooded (on DGCR, you have to go to the 2nd set of photos to see it).

I believe I can hit 50 trees in a single round there, and find myself with bad lies behind 30 more.

Latest posts