• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Word Cloud of State Names by Number of Courses

I like it, wouldn't make a bad T-shirt.

I am trying to find a decent app to create these. If I can find one, it should be pretty easy to poll the data on the website and create an up to date one on a regualar basis. I will see how much work it will be and let you all know.

I've figured out how to make an updated word cloud and I will post it in the next day or two. It will take a couple hours to build out. Would be really easy to set up a script to probe this information from the website database, but I do not have the bandwidth nor do I think the admins of the site want something like that running on a regular basis. ;). Anyway, will post cloud soon.

Google Wordle.com and you'll get links to a few sites that make tag clouds. Some are live links based on the ongoing discussions. Some will sell you a t-shirt of a cloud you've made.

Anybody have a current county by state? Somebody used to keep a google spreadsheet fairly up-to-date.

Or Steve, can you send me the 1/1/12 numbers?

Here's a choropleth map as-of today's counts, with colors changing every 50 courses. Interesting that the block of 150-200 are all mashed together. But that's getting ready to change.

dgbystate.jpg

270 Texas
211 California
198 Wisconsin
186 Minnesota
178 Iowa
174 Michigan
170 Illinois
149 Ohio
148 North Carolina
116 Kansas
114 Colorado
110 Pennsylvania
92 Indiana

Names Word Cloud

Anybody have a current county by state? Somebody used to keep a google spreadsheet fairly up-to-date.

Or Steve, can you send me the 1/1/12 numbers?

No, I can't. That information belongs to TimG. He lets me take it out to play sometimes, but not off the leash.

So, here's a word cloud of the top 100 words in the names of the courses.

Which leads me to a rant: Can we please stop using the letters "DGC"? It adds no information. I mean, you're listing your course on a directory of disc golf courses!

The words that "DGC" stand for are implied already. It just bugs me to have to read Dee-Jee-See and translate that to "Oh, someone thought I wouldn't know that this listing on a directory of disc golf courses is a Disc Golf Course, but thought I would know what those letters stand for."

I'm not against using the words "disc golf course" in the name. For example: "The Loyal and Eight-pin Disc Golf Course of John Andrews" would have the same ring without those words. (Nor would it sound good with DGC.)

But, if name of the course implicitly ends with "Disc Golf Course", just leave off the "DGC" for me, OK?

Rant over.

Attachments

• NameCloud.jpg
    NameCloud.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 30
Wisconsin will soon go over 200, making a hole in the 150-200 group.

Ohio will join the 150-200 group. It will touch the group, but the group won't be as blobby without Indiana.

NC will join the 150-200 group, but will be disjoint geographically.