• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Working out and general fitness

Core is really were it's at. My Yoga routine is very heavy on a pilates style of Yoga. I hadn't played disc golf back in the day when I really was fit I did Crossfit and Tai Chi. I would have loved to have discovered the sport at that time. I just don't have time for more than 15 minutes a day now though.

Core is really were it's at. My Yoga routine is very heavy on a pilates style of Yoga. I hadn't played disc golf back in the day when I really was fit I did Crossfit and Tai Chi. I would have loved to have discovered the sport at that time. I just don't have time for more than 15 minutes a day now though.

A good portion of my circuit training is TRX / suspension training. Very good for the core. I don't have a lot of time to be at the gym so I really try to maximize my time by walking or jumping rope between sets. It is good HIIT and strength training.

I am somewhat envious of the people at our gym who do crossfit. I would have done it 20 years ago, but not now, lol.

I have several previous injuries that I am recovering from, so Disc Golf is about as strenuous as I can go. In the winter, I was going to the gym and doing light weight kettle bell juggling. That did wonders for my back and Disc Golf. Unfortunately, I hate being indoors and want to spend all my time outside. After writing software all day, I need to feel the sun on my face.
Maybe I need to give up lunch for the gym.

I go to the Gym 3 times a week doing light weight training with lots of reps. I am not trying to bulk up or anything, but feel like i can benefit from my muscles being able to repeat certain motions over and over again without feeling sore or tired afterwards.
Disc Golf is all about flexibility in the joints and muscle groups. Most of the top pros are lean but athletic at the same time.

You don´t need your maximum power to throw a disc far, so i recomend light weight training and overall conditioning of the body over heavy lifting when it comes to disc golf performance.

Yes. Over the past four years I went from couch potato and weighing 280 pounds to running 30-40 miles a week and training for half and full marathons and now weighing in around 195. Along the way I've also mixed in some body weight exercises as well as some light to mid-level weight lifting.

The one thing that I've added this year is the use of an ab wheel. I've increased my distance off the team by quite a bit. I'm pushing 40 now and throw further than I could when I was on top of my dg game in my late 20's and early 30's.

332173_2487192101460_855222802_o.jpg

332173_2487192101460_855222802_o.jpg

Andy, You seem a bit out of shape in this picture if that truly is your regimen.

I have always worked out. Disc Golf alone, for me anyway, is terrible exercise. Just enough to make you tired enough to not actually go exercise and not enough to actually contribute to fitness.

I agree. Playing a round certainly feels tiring, and it's clearly better than sitting on the couch, but I barely consider it exercise. It's pretty close to the same thing as taking a leisurely walk around the block a few times. You're walking about 2 miles over the course of an hour or two, occasionally flinging your arm around with a whopping 175 gram weight at the end of it, and picking up a 15 lb backpack several times.

Now, you're in the sun and you're sweating, and you come out stinky and dirty, but it's still barely exercise.

Do I exercise specifically for disc golf? Nope. Hell, I barely exercise at all. But I think the basics would certainly help. Squats, push ups, pull ups, abs. Throw a lot of yoga on top of those and you'll be in pretty good shape. Core strength, back strength, flexibility.

There are very few top level athletes that don't have a workout routine that is distinct from their core sport, yet integrated into it. For disc golf this is all too obvious if you are aiming for a high level of play. Should you as an Amature? That is personal preference. About seven years ago I wrote an article for the PDGA magazine on lifting for distance. It was prior to disc golfer. There was also an article on yoga at that time. As you might guess, the article focused on core development and grip strength, I worked with a professional trainer.

I lift two two to three times a week, and run thirty miles. My distance max is 440, and I break 400 consistently. I'm 55....

Too bad my accuracy bites😁.

I would disagree with this. You can easily make DG more of an exercise for training purposes. Throwing a ton of shots in the field and doing things like 360 run ups most certainly will contribute to overall fitness. Not to mention playing some of the hilly courses which we have here that you get a great work out just walking and throwing discs.

How can you disagree that disc golf doesnt make him want to work out, lol.

Anyways, I took up Crossfit couple months before Am Worlds this year. I would be really sore after a round or 2. With about 20-25 rounds worth of throws in practice, warmup and the event, I felt better then I ever have. Activates my sense of competition too working with others...in ways I couldnt motivate myself to. Before my best Am Nats showing I did a ton of running and some gym work too...just need to keep it up and not be so sore when I get home to putt.

crossfit... lol that's just disc golf with weird objects mixed in.

Why not just sprint to each teepad and wear a tire around your neck?

I am saying if you think disc golf isn't a workout you are not trying that hard.

Gardening can be a workout if you hustle. To say DG makes you not want to work out is just laziness.

Yeah,I do that

You don't have time/energy to think and usually my putting is much better

The best routine, if one were to train specifically for disc golf, would be a combination of aerobic cardio, yoga, pilates and extensive core, shoulder and leg work, to include weight training. Stretching would be a must (aside from yoga and pilates.) Swimming is also a great way to work on your cardio while staying powerful yet limber.

I agree with this guy. You'll have increased stamina (play longer with more energy), great core strength (more power) and excellent flexibility:thmbup: (injury prevention, for me at least). Great post!

I usually work out more in the off season to get in shape for snowboarding. Come winter time, there's not enough daylight to play disc after my corporate slave work hours :mad: During the summers I don't go to the gym because it's more fun to get exercise outdoors (often discing). :D

FWIW, I'm nowhere near as fit as I used to be, but I'm also much better at disc golf than I was during my peak physical condition. Technique and strategy trump fitness (although obviously it would be nice to have all 3).

I don't "work out" ... I do throw 3-600 discs about 4 times a week. I also have a grip strength training tool or two, and I stretch. It would help me to start running, but I really don't like to.

It's easy to dismiss disc golf as not being a workout. But if you start out in bad enough shape, it is!

Especially long and extremely hilly courses.

I swim 2miles (1mile crawl, 1 mile breast) 3 or 4 times a week. And I find 18 holes of disc golf to wear my middle aged body out more -- judging from aches and pains and soreness that night or next morning.

Latest posts