• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worst Driver Ever

Wosrt disc ever

• Total voters
I also personally hate any of the "gimmick" discs, the wheel, (now illegal, for good reason) 10M brick, etc. It reminds me of in regular golf when they have a wedge with ad adjustable loft. No one who is actually good ever uses that stuff, IMO.

I guess I can only call something the worst if I've thrown it. That being said, my vote is split between 2: The Whamo S-Driver and the Aerobie Paintcan Lid, errr, I mean Arrow.

One of our locals has an S-driver that he keeps in his bag for fun. He'll occasionally use it to crap out a horrible anhyzer and we all have a good laugh. As for the Arrow, I've thrown one several times and although they do fly straight, they have ZERO glide and feel very odd in the hand.

Not so sure about most overrated...probably the Destroyer, and really all the other speed 11+ discs. Unless you can already throw 400+, those discs aren't going to help you accomplish anything you couldn't do by improving your form / technique.

i think the DX destroyer for my forehand - its SO MUCH more understable than my Star Destroyer -which is actually lighter and turned over 95% of the time

blame it on user error - but it totally sucked for me

I have a green 150g DX Aviar putter from a starter set. It dodges the basket.

I'll second this one. Especially on windy days.

I hate it when it keeps gliding past the basket too. My opinion is that putters should be heavy with a high stall speed, so if you over shoot, you'll at least get it on the next attempt.

i hate the aviar and the tracker. aviar turns a nice left before it hits the chains every time. i hate the tracker. it has -1 glide i swear, after i throw it it takes a nice spike 150 feet away

Don't hate on the epic...

It, for all intents and purposes, has a place in dg. I think it is a great short thumber/tomahawk disc because it drops like a hammer so you can power it out of the crap and it will still fly some. As for a backhand disc, you folks that say you have thrown it real far have a type of finesse in your throwing style I could only dream of. I was putting this disc on display after getting it and was going to show off the roller with it. I decided to hammer it, put the same force into it as I do a destroyer or max and the crazy thing barrell rolled. No kidding, wing down to the ground and crushed it and it did a full 360. Of course it only managed about 200 feet. Crazy thing though. I don't think I could barrel roll any other disc backhand not even 150 class stuff.

Most overrated disc for me, gotta be the sidewinder. I can't get this disc to do anything twice in a row. I have thrown some of the longest drives of my life with them and then buried the next one into the ground and rolled it forever. It is certainly a user error, I just wish I could throw it consistenly.

Most overrated disc for me, gotta be the sidewinder. I can't get this disc to do anything twice in a row. I have thrown some of the longest drives of my life with them and then buried the next one into the ground and rolled it forever. It is certainly a user error, I just wish I could throw it consistenly.

Sort of agree with you on that one. when I was starting the sidewinder allowed me to throw "long" S curves. as my technique got better and my power more refined, it was really hard not to make that thing rollover. It sits in my spare bag and the Monarch replaced it as my understable huge S curve/make it snake around a tree disc. Give the Monarch a shot. Although same thing, too much power and you are rolling that down the side of the fairway.

I am being told that the vision by latitude 64 is a sidewinder on steroids. Might want to give that a try as well.

Any of the three discs that come with the InStep basket:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ericjubin/DiscGolfGoal#5143703073978034210

They're made out of the cheapest feeling plastic I've ever felt.

ERic

I second this! When the "Saturn" (other two are the Pluto & Mercury) finally hit chains solidly the chains went into the plastic. I also found a disc at one of the local courses (it wasn't lost probably someone attempted to throw it away) called a Halex. This thing was awful, I didn't realize that a disc could be that understable.

Overrated I think depends on the type of shots you prefer to throw. Hard for me to pick an overrated disc because the (normal) one's that I throw like crap I usually know someone else that uses them well.

i have a wham-o S driver. yes it is made out of a very hard plastic. i'm sure if i hit a tree with it many times at all it would lose it's shape. but i've got to say. if i throw it right, it flies farther than anything else i have. i don't throw it very often because i tend to anhyzer it even when i don't want it to.

I found a Whamo disc the other day and later in the same round, I threw it directly into a tree, it is definitely bent out of shape now.

The disc I like the least is the Discraft XS. Not sure why but I just can't throw it very far or predictably for that matter. It's the only Discraft disc that I own and I hate it.

I found a Whamo disc the other day and later in the same round, I threw it directly into a tree, it is definitely bent out of shape now.

The disc I like the least is the Discraft XS. Not sure why but I just can't throw it very far or predictably for that matter. It's the only Discraft disc that I own and I hate it.

What I don't get is, how does a company like Wham-O not make a play for disc golf? I mean a real play or run at it, not like what they have done so far. I just don't get it. If I were them, I would be trying to make a deal with Discraft or Innova or start your own division, and get the company name on some amazingly great discs. If they did it right, they could be an almost instant contender, with their marketing and retail deals they have already.

I bought a Lightning #1 Helix back a few years ago and it's sat in my trunk ever since. I was expecting an understable S-turn type driver "Helix" but this disc seems like just an overstable midrange with little glide.

Gonna have to agree with previous posts: The 150g Aviar from the starter set is a giant steaming pile. When I let my friend use it, and he tossed in the lake at Fountain Hills,AZ , I literally skipped and danced for joy, singing "Yay, the curse has been lifted!".....before telling my friend that he still had to buy me a new disc to replace it (definitely something different).

I'll second this one. Especially on windy days.

I hate it when it keeps gliding past the basket too. My opinion is that putters should be heavy with a high stall speed, so if you over shoot, you'll at least get it on the next attempt.

Oh believe me, on a windy day, I'd rather putt with my Orc than with that wretched thing. :rolleyes: It's all I can do to keep it in my bag, but I keep telling myself it's a backup in case I lose my heavy putter. And yes, putters should be heavy, straight, and slow, not light and dodgy. What a cruel punishment for beginners. It's almost like hazing.

(The multi-quote feature doesn't seem to be working for me, so let me note that High Flyer is seconding my hate for the Innova Starter Set Aviar Putter.)

WORST ONE I BOUGHT WAS THE TURBO PUTTER FROM QUEST: ONLY GOOD FOR THE PIE IN THE SKY OVERHEAD THROW IF YOU CAN MASTER IT.

AND OVERRATED TO ME WAS THE LEOPARD. TURNS OVER EVERYTIME I THROW IT SIDEARM, NOMATER THE WEIGHT. AND A CLOSE SECOND WOULD HAVE TO BE THE WRAITH

Yeah, the Wraith is kind of blah; my two are only worth their "Speed 11" rating if I throw them just right. At least they're straight, but there's no great reason to go out and buy one just to see what the hype is about.

One strange thing I noticed about the Wraith, though, is how the top is joined to the edge. In the first ones I saw out in stores, and in the first one I bought, there seemed to be a bit of a lumpy place (not sure what to call it) about 1/4 of the way in from the edge of the disc. You could feel it more than you could see it, but it was definitely there. In the last two Wraiths I bought, the lumpy place isn't there, and the discs are more stable. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I deceiving myself?

One strange thing I noticed about the Wraith, though, is how the top is joined to the edge. In the first ones I saw out in stores, and in the first one I bought, there seemed to be a bit of a lumpy place (not sure what to call it) about 1/4 of the way in from the edge of the disc. You could feel it more than you could see it, but it was definitely there. In the last two Wraiths I bought, the lumpy place isn't there, and the discs are more stable. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I deceiving myself?

I havent noticed this on my Wraiths, but I bought an Innova Dragon a few months back and I noticed the same thing on that disc. The top seemed like it hadnt been cleanly connected to the rim. I can actually see it since it is a light green, and can definitely feel it. It is my first Dragon, so I dont have any others to compare it too to know if the disc's flight pattern is any different.

Latest posts