• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worst fake rules ever invented

Playing from a previous lie after you go OB is NOT A RETHROW! It is your next throw from your choice of lies granted within the rules.

I had someone tell me a while back you can't have your bag on your shoulder when putting.

Glad he was wrong..cuz i always putt with my bag on inside 15 ft.....and when i don't ...i start missing them

My wife was playing in a tourney and she hit a telephone pole that had a wire going down the side and the wire gut a 3/4" gash in the rim of her go to Champion Beast. The only other female in the tourney was the TD's wife who imediately looked at my wifes disc and said "You cannot use that anymore because it is cracked and it's against the rules to use a cracked disc." She then told her if she got caught throwing it she would be disqualified from the tourney. Is a gash a crack?

I had a similar thing happen last year. I even made a thread about it with pics.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35641

As long as the gash doesn't go through all the way to the flight plate it should still be legal for use in tourneys. It most likely won't fly the same though.

Playing from a previous lie after you go OB is NOT A RETHROW! It is your next throw from your choice of lies granted within the rules.
You can make either call within the rules: OB playing from original lie or Optional Rethrow when landing OB. The reason you might want to use the Optional Rethrow is when the TD specifies you must play a shot that goes OB near the green from where you went out. You can negate the TDs OB restriction by calling an Optional Rethrow so you can try that 15' putt again rather than play from 40' feet down the hill by the water where you rolled out when first trying that putt.

You can make either call within the rules: OB playing from original lie or Optional Rethrow when landing OB. The reason you might want to use the Optional Rethrow is when the TD specifies you must play a shot that goes OB near the green from where you went out. You can negate the TDs OB restriction by calling an Optional Rethrow so you can try that 15' putt again rather than play from 40' feet down the hill by the water where you rolled out when first trying that putt.

Point taken. I was specifically responding to Sidewinding's use of the term "free optional rethrow." My intention was to distinguish a "rethrow" from a "next throw." Most of the time when choosing to throw from a previous lie after OB, it won't be a rethrow.

Thanks for your correction, though. I love the minutia. :thmbup:

I must be in the wrong thread. I thought this was about worst fake rules. not people interpreting real rules

Last edited:
things get sidetracked and go a different direction quickly. By tomorrow this will be a Roc Vs. Buzzz thread.

Aaarrrghh---STFU about the GD unplayable lie/optional rethrow BS!!!! :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Last edited:
I can't believe noone's talked about being on a little patch of sand in the middle of a creek. Seems like I heard this a lot early in my tournament career (and had to ask about it the first time). It's completely dry so its not surrounded by water! :rolleyes:

you are correct. the only time you can't retrieve a disc is for stance violation rethrows (falling putts). other than that, unless it's a courtesy violation for excessive time, you can get the disc.

H. The player may not retrieve the originally thrown disc prior to the re-throw, except in the case of a putt from within 10 meters. Where a disc is retrieved in violation of this rule, a one throw penalty shall be imposed without a warning.
803.03-803.04 Page 11

You can retrieve a disc from a falling putt stance violation inside the 10m circle.

*Desperately trying to get the thread back on track:*

One of my cardmates at the BSF told me that you could be any distance behind your mini as long as you were in the line of play. He was doing these huge fairway runups and throwing from two-three feet behind his mini. Even when I showed him the rule, he still argued that it didn't give him a competive advantage. Milo is a long, mostly open course and not having to give a sh*t about your foot placement on run-up is a definate advantage. He proved my case with his less accurate and shorter fairway shots once he started paying attention to his feet.

^^^That's why I like to leave my tee shot on the ground if its still 120'+ to the basket---I can still see it in my peripheral vision while I'm x-stepping. Though I have stepped on the disc and dumped myself on my ass once or twice. :rolleyes:

That's actually not a bad idea. I sometimes struggle on our somewhat lumpy local footing on fairway runups, and having to worry about my mini only makes things worse. I generally stand and deliver, which is usually more than enough for the courses around here. Milo showed me just how badly I was missing a key part of my game. Having a big bright target in the corner of my vision might make it a little easier.

"So what did you learn from this thread today, Mike"?

"Well, I learned that I could skip whole pages of what sidewinding and mudslinger had to say without missing much, except that the topic really got side-tracked. What'd you learn, Ian"?

"I learned that if you're going to bring a bag of grass clippings from home to test the wind off the tees, then you should bring enough for the whole card".

Last edited:
Had a guy at BG Ams tell me I should be stroked six for dropping my disc on my bag twice. Not advancing the disc. Not moving the disc in a thrown motion. This was only after I said you might check your feet on your putts. I don't care but the next guy might. He was straddling putting with his free foot at least 12-15 inches in front of his plant foot. He later told another card of my buddys he was with, a completely different story. I had already heard stories about this guy so I figured he would come off with something.

Last edited:
H. The player may not retrieve the originally thrown disc prior to the re-throw, except in the case of a putt from within 10 meters. Where a disc is retrieved in violation of this rule, a one throw penalty shall be imposed without a warning.
803.03-803.04 Page 11

You can retrieve a disc from a falling putt stance violation inside the 10m circle.

thanks...yes that's right..i had it backwards...outside 10 m you can't retrieve discs for stance violations...inside circle ok.

honestly though...i don't think i've ever called someone on a stance violation outside the 10 m circle...maybe a warning but never got past that.

Had a guy at BG Ams tell me I should be stroked six for dropping my disc on my bag twice. Not advancing the disc. Not moving the disc in a thrown motion. This was only after I said you might check your feet on your putts. I don't care but the next guy might. He was straddling putting with his free foot at least 12-15 inches in front of his plant foot. He later told another card of my buddys he was with, a completely different story. I had already heard stories about this guy so I figured he would come off with something.

was your bag 2 m below your hands? i doubt it. next time open a rulebook and how them definitions....like this one:

Practice Throw: During a round, the projection of a disc of a distance greater than two meters, or of any distance toward a target, intentional or not, which does not change the player's lie, either because it did not occur from the teeing area or the lie, or because the player had already thrown competitively from the teeing area or the lie. Throws that are re-thrown in accordance with the rules are not practice throws. Provisional throws made pursuant to 803.01 C and 803.01 D (3) are not practice throws. A player shall receive a penalty for a practice throw in accordance with sections 803.01 B or Competition Manual 1.5 B (1).

was your bag 2 m below your hands? i doubt it. next time open a rulebook and how them definitions....like this one:

Practice Throw: During a round, the projection of a disc of a distance greater than two meters, or of any distance toward a target, intentional or not, which does not change the player's lie, either because it did not occur from the teeing area or the lie, or because the player had already thrown competitively from the teeing area or the lie. Throws that are re-thrown in accordance with the rules are not practice throws. Provisional throws made pursuant to 803.01 C and 803.01 D (3) are not practice throws. A player shall receive a penalty for a practice throw in accordance with sections 803.01 B or Competition Manual 1.5 B (1).

I played in a tournament years and years ago that I believe had a big part in getting this 2 m rule implemented.

Leader card, one person was setting up for a putt and needed both hands for a moment so he dropped his putter on the ground. When he did that someone else on the card called it as a throw and said he had to take a stroke for that. The story is he lost by one stroke. *cut throat*

Shortly after that this rule was added.

Latest posts