• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Wraith vs Boss -

Preference

• Wraith

Votes: 111 70.7%
  • Boss

Votes: 46 29.3%

• Total voters
I chose Boss but only barely. When I carried both I could get about 10' further with the Boss and virtually no difference in accuracy. They were both 172g discs. The Boss was slightly more over stable. The Boss is Champ the Wraith "was" star. I lost it and haven't gotten another. I'm mainly a slow disc guy so I break the Boss out for headwinds mostly. I throw a 150 Flick in most situations where I want a long distance before the flex.

Both discs do almost the same thing for me, I have both in my bag though. They are both Star. I say Boss just because I can throw it further. I got them both at the same time from a local shop couple weeks ago. The boss flips more than I want it to and almost flys like my wraith, just a little more stable.

I use a Wraith more often.

I have a Champ Boss but only use it on a couple of specific shots.

Wraith by a hair

I carry a champ boss and a star wraith. I know this is gonna make my boss sad, but I prefer my wraith. It's just a little more accurate for me. It also brought me my first ace. It's like pickin' a favorite child. You know you have one, but you prefer not to say.

Lots of good info in this thread.
There are similarities between the two discs.
Star Wraiths and Star Boss's at max weight are very similar.

The biggest difference between the two Star models occurs at the mid 160 gram point.
A 165 gram Star Wraith is not nearly as stable as a 167 gram Star Boss.
I have both. The Wraith is a serious performer backhand, but flips like a kids toy when I try to throw it forehand.
The Boss, in a similar weight is much more stable, I can throw it with wicked forehand anny and flex it for maximum distance.
Pop top Pro Boss's are the least stable with the best glide, the least " meathook" like of the bunch. Anybody throwing a Wraith backhand should at least try a pop top Pro Boss, it might work better than the more stable versions.

I would like to try a 150-160 gram R Pro Wraith, I hope they are considering making it ( hint hint Dave, like you read this forum ) I think it would be a nice downwind distance flyer for me.

I only use my Boss when I want a 300-or-so-foot left hook, or a longer one downhill. There's a perfect hole for this on a local course, but I doubt I'd find a use for it on many courses. The Wraith is much more versatile for me. Both of mine are Star.

Last edited:
I don't throw either anymore, but I've contemplated pulling my first run Boss off the wall now that I'm flipping Surges over. Wraiths don't act stable very long if you throw predominantly FH in the woods, I know that much.

Boss is much better than the wraith

The Boss is much better disc. If you beat in a 170 Champion or star boss you are fine. Its better in the wind, 30' farther throw and just as straight as the wraith after probably eight rounds of use. If it is too overstable for you, get a lighter boss. They are multiple times better than the wraith

The Boss is much better disc. If you beat in a 170 Champion or star boss you are fine. Its better in the wind, 30' farther throw and just as straight as the wraith after probably eight rounds of use. If it is too overstable for you, get a lighter boss. They are multiple times better than the wraith

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH
that is such bullsh*t

any ways back on subject...
A destroyer would be a better step up then the boss if you turn your wraiths over too much.

absolutely, I can only throw about 310, but for me the Wraith and the Boss are completely different. I really like the Boss because of the variety of plastics and weights it comes in. For me the Pro Boss is the best plastic, I throw a 168 and it is my furthest disc, I can throw it straight, hyzer flip it, and throw big hyzers with it. The wraith, is also very straight, but just not needed with the pro boss.

I want to know where ppl get these bosses that "are easy to turn over" .... mine is anything BUT flippy.
I just don't ever see a boss being "unthrowable flippy" ESPECIALLY after only 2-3 tree hits. I challenge someone to post a video of themselves turning over a 175g star boss, beaten in or not.

I kept my 170 Star Boss in the front seat of my car through the end of summer and it seasoned in very nicely. I get mine out farther than my Wraiths on a straight/hyzer line. It's just now starting to get a little high speed turn.

I left a 175 star boss in my truck last summer on accident and that things started flying like a beast. It didn't warp it, but it was a lot less domey after that.

I have owned several star bosses, and if thrown just right it is amazing. However, I find that it is the least forgiving disc I've ever thrown. I have lost about 6 disc in water hazards since I started playing. Four of them were bosses. I find the destroyer is much more consistent.

I want to know where ppl get these bosses that "are easy to turn over" .... mine is anything BUT flippy. I had a 175g star boss for a few months that became just a hair less overstable before I lost it (actually some people I let plaly through ran off with it while I was looking for my brother's disc in a tree... mine was up the hill on a blind hole, probably right next to the basket -- I heard them peel out of the parking lot as I got to the top of the hill).

I just don't ever see a boss being "unthrowable flippy" ESPECIALLY after only 2-3 tree hits. I challenge someone to post a video of themselves turning over a 175g star boss, beaten in or not.

Apothecary -- I'm not calling you a liar, because every disc is it's own animal and I've thrown "supposedly similar" discs that fly completely different. What is the weight on your champ boss?

Another bone to pick about the R-Pro version of the boss -- peopel need to stop dogging this disc because they can't throw it right... You can talk about it's durability all you want because it is indeed not very durable at all, but knowing that, why would you throw it on anything but a wide open hole? Great Tailwind driver, great hyzer-flip driver -- hell, it's even a decent hyzer driver. I think the people who don't like it are those who began playing disc golf with all extreme overstable drivers and their go-to form is "put tons of anny on everything".

i found the boss that turned flippy for me. it was brand spankin new when i found it and i LOVED it. thrown hot and low it would go 400-450' consistently with a massive skip. it was heavy...175 i think. ive never seen a disc change so much after so few hits (that wasnt dx plastic, anyway).

i dont have a video cam or i would drop everything im doing like you asked and take video.

you will have to settle for this video of my last colonoscopy:

i found the boss that turned flippy for me. it was brand spankin new when i found it and i LOVED it. thrown hot and low it would go 400-450' consistently with a massive skip. it was heavy...175 i think. ive never seen a disc change so much after so few hits (that wasnt dx plastic, anyway).

i dont have a video cam or i would drop everything im doing like you asked and take video.

you will have to settle for this video of my last colonoscopy:

That's funny cause YOU are the one always asking for video.:|

Boss- Can be flipped with a big arm. If you have to break it in just to use it, then I would disc down.

Wraith- Same as boss. if you have to beat one up just to throw it I would disc down.

Don't think just because everyone is using a wraith that the disc will make you a better player. If you can only throw a wraith 300 feet, I bet you can throw a sidewinder, valkerie, or roadrunner 350 feet. I see people all the time with big discs and short drives. Makes no sence to me. If you start with disc that are easy to flip over, they will keep becomming easier and easier to flip over. Then you move up to a bigger disc. Before you know it you will be crushing wraiths. But you have to crawl before you walk. It takes longer to learn the game with a bag full of stable discs that you have to throw anhyzer off the pad just to get to go strait.

Depends. I can't drive a boss well and I can't thumb a wraith. But I can do the converse with each disc.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH
that is such bullsh*t

A destroyer would be a better step up then the boss if you turn your wraiths over too much.

Wow I guess somebody's got a man crush on the Wraith. Really his opinion is bullsh*t really.... hmmm then I guess mine is to because I don't throw the Wraith and really have no need for it in my bag. In fact if I did need a disc that was Wraith like I'd throw a Surge they are a far more consistent disc and better overall.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH
that is such bullsh*t

Wow I guess somebody's got a man crush on the Wraith. Really his opinion is bullsh*t really.... hmmm then I guess mine is to because I don't throw the Wraith and really have no need for it in my bag. In fact if I did need a disc that was Wraith like I'd throw a Surge they are a far more consistent disc and better overall.

I'm not sure that Dave is that much of a wraith fan. His comment was probably more about the fact that it wasn't a very good description of a boss. They don't fly straight after eight rounds. Also, saying a disc is multiple times better than another is really subjective. It depends on what you need it to do.