• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Writing on putter

Never. I don't throw at the ground. I focus on what I want to hit, the pole or a chain link. What you're describing makes no sense to me.

Actually.....what you're describing makes literally....no sense at all. Because what you're describing is the "end result" of something that happened much early on, and that is hitting your line correctly.

"I don't throw at the ground." That's always a good thing.

Actually.....what you're describing makes literally....no sense at all. Because what you're describing is the "end result" of something that happened much early on, and that is hitting your line correctly.

"I don't throw at the ground." That's always a good thing.

lol focusing on what I want to hit makes no sense to you? Let's play a round 9 for $100. :thmbup:

lol focusing on what I want to hit makes no sense to you? Let's play a round 9 for $100. :thmbup:

I think you're just not realizing the subliminal decision being made and others are more aware of it. Simon makes comments like this all the time, especially on hyzer shots. "hit the line/angle, and let the disc do the rest". Unless you're throwing completely level/straight the entire flight to the basket, you're going to have to consider the angle, line, etc, the disc comes out of your hand, you have to first hit that first window/line before there's any possibility about hitting that pole or chain link you mention. With all due respect, it's basic 101 disc golf and is taught by pretty much....every one.

"I asked Avery Jenkins at a clinic what to focus on and he said more than anything else he focuses on the hit point. The spot in the air right in front of him where he wants to release the disc at."

Last edited:
I think you're just not realizing the subliminal decision being made and others are more aware of it. Simon makes comments like this all the time, especially on hyzer shots. "hit the line/angle, and let the disc do the rest". Unless you're throwing completely level/straight the entire flight to the basket, you're going to have to consider the angle, line, etc, the disc comes out of your hand, you have to first hit that first window/line before there's any possibility about hitting that pole or chain link you mention. With all due respect, it's basic 101 disc golf and is taught by pretty much....every one.

"I asked Avery Jenkins at a clinic what to focus on and he said more than anything else he focuses on the hit point. The spot in the air right in front of him where he wants to release the disc at."

The spot in the air right in front of him where he wants to release the disc at.
..is not on the ground. :wall::wall:

The spot in the air right in front of him where he wants to release the disc at.
..is not on the ground. :wall::wall:

dude...get off the ground.... I have no idea where you're getting that from. Read man....read man...before posting! :wall: :wall: :wall:

And the funniest thing is...you're probably behind your keyboard...giving me credit for making this shizzle up! lol.. C'mon man....disc golf 101...disc golf 101!!!!

dude...get off the ground.... I have no idea where you're getting that from. Read man....read man...before posting! :wall: :wall: :wall:

And the funniest thing is...you're probably behind your keyboard...giving me credit for making this shizzle up! lol.. C'mon man....disc golf 101...disc golf 101!!!!

You must be old and have memory problems.
Like I said, any day $100 and I'll show you "disc golf 101".

Nah, that's nothing that I personally would ever think of calling, like I said, the disc or object, towel, etc, would have to be a few feet in front of the lie to get my attention.

Totally depends how far in front of your lie. Inches..no big deal. A few feet...I'm starting to wonder why it's there.

In over 100 tournaments, I have never called anyone for this rule. Like I said, if I saw someone throw something down on the ground a few feet in front of their lie, I would ask them to remove it the first time, 2nd time...call them out. And here's why.....since a few of you don't understand how it could possibly be a visual aid.

When it comes to putting and approach shots, the window needed to hit your line is typically only a few feet in front of you. Once you hit that window, the rest is up to the disc. Granted it's not on the ground, it's a window probably anywhere from 5ft-7ft off the ground, but only a few feet in front of you. Distance perception is vital in this game, we all look for visual clues to get an idea how far the disc is to the basket. Especially on fairways with few features, in this case a rock, broken branch, etc, could be very helpful in getting a feel for distance and hitting a line. Most of us will do this in a subliminal nature and not even realize we're doing so. So sure, in the rare case when a player obviously places something "in front" of their marker, it's going to get my attention.

Seriously...you've never seen a large rock, fallen branch, etc, on the ground in between you and the basket, and then used that object as a reference point? Now..take that object and now imagine a straight line going up from that object which allows you to set an imaginary target to hit. You've never done something like that while playing this game??? :confused:

You must be old and have memory problems.
Like I said, any day $100 and I'll show you "disc golf 101".

I'll admit to short term if you admit to selective memory problems. ;)

When it comes to putting and approach shots, the window needed to hit your line is typically only a few feet in front of you. Once you hit that window, the rest is up to the disc. Granted it's not on the ground, it's a window probably anywhere from 5ft-7ft off the ground, but only a few feet in front of you.

I'll admit to short term if you admit to selective memory problems. ;)

The practicality is the concept you are talking about, using natural objects as aiming points is sound, sure DG 101. The scenario that you are describing using this concept makes zero sense.

The practicality is the concept you are talking about, using natural objects as aiming points is sound, sure DG 101. The scenario that you are describing using this concept makes zero sense.

Scenario? I didn't outline a specific scenario, if anything I outlined "any" scenario? Care to expand your thoughts?

Scenario? I didn't outline a specific scenario, if anything I outlined "any" scenario? Care to expand your thoughts?

Maybe that's part of the problem. Is everyone of your posts a completely independent scenario?

Are we even talking about putting anymore?

I'm going to have to agree on that one. If your marker is already down, and you're placing ANYTHING on the ground in between your lie and the basket, that's 100% a rules violation in my book.

Them emphasis was yours here. 100%... ANYTHING... But you also qualify it as "in your book" which is a huge pet peeve of mine. Making up ones own criteria for rules enforcement. Which is it because you retracted that to something a few feet or more... based one where this conversation went how many is a few feet? And still how do you use an aiming device on the ground during putting? or did you just stop talking about putting in this completely?

Generally a few points from my standpoint.
A) Unless the basket is obstructed by something I aim at the freaking basket when putting. Anything on the ground no matter the distance is a distraction from putting at the basket. If the basket is obstructed. Huge confusion here on the concept of an aiming device on the ground, especially if you are talking about looking 5'-7' above the aiming device on the ground.

B) I use points to aim at on almost all drives except for something short enough I'm throwing straight at the basket with something that doesn't fade like a putter. I could easily list from memory every thing I do aim at on my home course and disc I drive with.

C) Preference in an aiming point is in the distance. Trying to make a gap you don't aim at the gap you aim at something beyond the gap. This is DG 101. using an aiming point several feet in front for a throw... if we did leave the putting discussion here... is silly. Wanting to hit a point in space a few feet our makes sense BUT that point is going to be lined up with something in the distance. When I aim to cross over a specific rock i'm not aiming at the rock, or at a space just above the rock. I'm aiming at the dark tree in the background that lines up with the rock.

D) I can easily think of a few times using an artificial aiming device would come in handy. Generally on blind holes and unfamiliar throws. On a familiar course I think it would only take a few rounds to find something natural on the course to aim at, but on a new course? Especially where I don't know where the basket is. having to walk up the fairway to see the basket then compare where the teepad is or the basket and figure out where you want to throw and stand on the teepad and second guess the line that doesn't quite look like it did? Would be nice to drop the bag or an umbrella or something to aim at when looking for the basket. Not practical for pace of play obviously. MORE common is after a shanked drive where the basket can't be seen. Dropping the bag in the fairway about even with the basket so when you get to your disc down the hill or in the forest you know about where you need to get the disc to break or distance out of the trees.

So.. what the hell are we talking about? Generalities of a device to with direction? or specifically with putting? If it is with putting ... I don't get it.

Getting back to the queston at hand if writing on a putter is a rule book violation then is Dying a disc from the color it came as from the factory a violation but in modification of the disc, they allow writing in tha part of the book if not detectable thickness but sometimes a dye will change a disc in how it feels. Even the accidental hot car method can change a disc. I even have a disc from factory that was Star but came almost G-Star is that a disc Violation? These are very minute, but the only clear violation I have seen was a person who had a disc that he tried to fix a small spot on a Pro disc with a thin spot of polyurethane or lacquer where the disc had lost a bit of top coating/minor top layer of disc. Violation was missed by the person checking discs due to it looking like the Pro disc had all of its top coating and disc to it.

So.. what the hell are we talking about? Generalities of a device to with direction? or specifically with putting? If it is with putting ... I don't get it.

lol.. well..when I jumped in this thread, I replied directly to this comment:

"That's definitely what I think. But I did have one guy say something like, "you're using that disc to line up the throw/putt and that can be called a violation."

with:

"I'm going to have to agree on that one. If your marker is already down, and you're placing ANYTHING on the ground in between your lie and the basket, that's 100% a rules violation in my book."

And I stand by that, there is NO need to put anything between your lie and the marker, once your disc is down. From there my personal focus was on rule 813.02., mainly to the text in this section:

"Placing an object as a directional aid is not allowed. An item such as a towel or a pad may be placed on the lie as long as it is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed."

And all of my comments were in general and certainly not applied to just putting. But..I digress.. the conversation certainly came to fork in the road and went from writing on a disc to more about the specifics of 813.02. Then ol Jay and myself kind of went into a drunken debate on semantics but in the end we might have been talking about the same thing. Who knows..lol.

My final thoughts...

If someone is using their disc as a marker and it has written a big fat arrow on it, I'm not calling him on rule 813.02. But if he places ANYTHING else in front of that marker, like I said earlier, it's going to get my attention and I would ask him to clarify it's use.

My final thoughts...

If someone is using their disc as a marker and it has written a big fat arrow on it, I'm not calling him on rule 813.02. But if he places ANYTHING else in front of that marker, like I said earlier, it's going to get my attention and I would ask him to clarify it's use.

I hope they would first ask you "why are you asking me that?"
Then you'd go "Oh I don't want you to use that disc right in front of your marker as a directional aid!"
Then the rest of the card could laugh at you and get on with the round

Then you'd go "Oh I don't want you to use that disc right in front of your marker as a directional aid!"
:clap:
That's funny.
Also, if D50 kept up with the questions I'd call him for a courtesy violation.

Like I said before, I have never seen this in my 100+ tournaments, perhaps that's why it would indeed get my attention if I did see it. It would be interesting to see how one of the pros would react to this scenario.....

Hey..let's see if we can get MJ's thoughts on this.... ;) lol...

Tagging to see if you would take the time to reply. Thx!

Player walks up to his lie, places his marker down. Steps back, walks up and throws a 2nd object in front of their lie, a few feet out. Would you be concerned with this player using it as a visual aid?

Latest posts