• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Writing on putter

What does the marker being down have to do with anything?

Not sure where you're jumping in at, but since you quoted parts of my statements...it all stems from what happens after the player's marker is down. At that point if the player throws any other object in front of the marker, I would be interested to know why he is doing it. Obviously this is going to be a rare event, perhaps that's why there is so much shock & awe about someone saying they would ask why they would do that.

Not sure where you're jumping in at, but since you quoted parts of my statements...it all stems from what happens after the player's marker is down. At that point if the player throws any other object in front of the marker, I would be interested to know why he is doing it. Obviously this is going to be a rare event, perhaps that's why there is so much shock & awe about someone saying they would ask why they would do that.

just to clarify - there is nothing in the rule book that says that "placing ANYTHING on the ground in between your lie and the basket" (previous post by you) is a rules violation, either before or after the marker has been placed. that is your interpretation. I think that's the reason for the shock & awe, that you're trying to pass off your specious interpretation of a rule as a rule that you expect others to abide by

just to clarify - there is nothing in the rule book that says that "placing ANYTHING on the ground in between your lie and the basket" (previous post by you) is a rules violation..

"An item such as a towel or a pad may be placed on the lie as long as it is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed."

That's why I keep mainly referring to another disc, marker, etc, that is placed on the lie AFTER your marker is down because clearly...according to the rules...it IS a violation because those items are clearly greater than one centimeter in thickness, so if you're going to argue the specific rules, in this case it is not saying used as a visual aid, it is saying ANY ITEM greater than 1 centimeter when compressed can not be placed on the lie.

I think that's the reason for the shock & awe, that you're trying to pass off your specious interpretation of a rule as a rule that you expect others to abide by

I don't expect anything except to give my own interpretation of the rules. Like all PDGA disc golf rules, it's open to the interpretation by the players on the card. Like foot faults, how do we know the intentions of the player, was it a mistake or did he intentionally foot fault because he thought he could get away with it?

You make less and less sense with each post.

Sleepy Jay woke up from a nap...

813.02 Illegal Device
Last updated: Saturday, March 3, 2018 - 09:47
A player must not use any device that directly assists in making a throw. Devices that reduce or control abrasion to the skin (such as gloves, tape, bandages, or gauze) and medical items (such as knee or ankle braces) are allowed. Placing an object as a directional aid is not allowed. An item such as a towel or a pad may be placed on the lie as long as it is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed.
A device that is questioned by another player or an Official is illegal unless it is subsequently approved by the Director.
A player receives two penalty throws if observed at any time during a round to be using an illegal device. A player who repeatedly uses an illegal device may be subject to disqualification in accordance with Section 3.03 of the PDGA Competition Manual.

We've all seen that rule every time you've posted it. Thing is it has nothing to do with visual aide.

We've all seen that rule every time you've posted it. Thing is it has nothing to do with visual aide.

Perhaps that's where some of your confusion is..stop thinking of it as a "visual aid" think of it more of a "directional aid" as stated in the rules. But seriously..you're just arguing bits and pieces of every single post I make, your social media warrior skills are improving, I'll give you that. But if you follow along..properly...this thread (for better or worse) has several sub threads in it.

1) Writing on a disc. I could care less.
2) Talking about using objects as visual/directional aids. I said I've NEVER called anyone on it because I've never seen it done. BUT...if someone DID place an object a few feet in front of their marker, YES.. I'm wondering why.
3) The SPECIFIC DETAILS of the rule set in regards to the thickness of an object being placed in front of your lie. So if someone places another disc, mini, etc, YES I'm saying that's a rules violation based on my interpretation of the wording of the rule.

Is it REALLY that hard for you to play along or are do you just read the last few sentences of a thread and chime in? :confused:

3) The SPECIFIC DETAILS of the rule set in regards to the thickness of an object being placed in front of your lie. So if someone places another disc, mini, etc, YES I'm saying that's a rules violation based on my interpretation of the wording of the rule.

The rule does not say anything about the object of questionable thickness being placed in front of your lie. It specifically says "on the lie" and is in reference to using a pad or towel or something else for either traction or to not get ones knees all icky.

Perhaps that's where some of your confusion is..stop thinking of it as a "visual aid" think of it more of a "directional aid" as stated in the rules. But seriously..you're just arguing bits and pieces of every single post I make, your social media warrior skills are improving, I'll give you that. But if you follow along..properly...this thread (for better or worse) has several sub threads in it.

1) Writing on a disc. I could care less.
How much less could you care?
2) Talking about using objects as visual/directional aids. I said I've NEVER called anyone on it because I've never seen it done. BUT...if someone DID place an object a few feet in front of their marker, YES.. I'm wondering why.
And that makes no sense as me and others have pointed out
That rule is for using it as a buffer for your stance, under your foot or knee, not for in front of the lie.
Is it REALLY that hard for you to play along or are do you just read the last few sentences of a thread and chime in? :confused:
Disagreeing with you makes no one a keyboard warrior. The only thing I'm doing wrong in this discussion is feeding the troll. You.

The rule does not say anything about the object of questionable thickness being placed in front of your lie.

"An item such as a towel or a pad may be placed on the lie as long as it is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed."

That is one of the joys of a sport where the rules are just vague enough to be left up to interpretation by the players. I totally understand if you were to see a disc put on the ground in front of you lie, you would not call it. I'm saying the first time I would not call it, the 2nd time I'm calling it. We disagree, and that's ok.

Perhaps Discfifty believes that a very thin directional aid would be ok.

I'd rather hear what your opinion on that is. Care to opine?

That's why I keep mainly referring to another disc, marker, etc, that is placed on the lie AFTER your marker is down because clearly...according to the rules...it IS a violation because those items are clearly greater than one centimeter in thickness, so if you're going to argue the specific rules, in this case it is not saying used as a visual aid, it is saying ANY ITEM greater than 1 centimeter when compressed can not be placed on the lie.

This is talking about what is allowed to be placed ON the lie. It is not saying anything about what can or cannot be placed IN FRONT OF the lie.

This is talking about what is allowed to be placed ON the lie. It is not saying anything about what can or cannot be placed IN FRONT OF the lie.

According to him that's only your interpretation of the rule. :rolleyes:

good luck with that... ;)

Let's play a round 9 for $100. :thmbup:

I wanted to touch base on that before the thread splices into oblivion. My standard policy for betting is your rating has to be within 30 points of mine so it's a fair match OR your rating has to be over 1020. So either we have a good match, or I learn something from an elite pro. If either of those criteria is matched, hit me up when you're in the DFW area. ;)