• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wtf..?? Question about McClain Park in San Antonio, TX

fly_hyzer

OK.. So I play McClain Park in San Antonio, TX at least once every two weeks. I used to play it more when I lived 3 minutes from it, but now I live 5 minutes from Live Oak and UC... Anyhow, what I'm saying is that I know this course and I have played enough to see others with their dogs and even walkers with their dogs.. That being said, I wonder, since when have animals not been allowed at McClain Park?? There is an icon on the review page stating that this is such and I have to say I was/am completely unaware of this policy. I take my dog there (70lbs Staffy/bulldog mix) and my buddy takes his mutt there and she walks beside us off her leash. All the while, no one has ever made mention of animals not being allowed in the park. Can someone please shed some light on this for me please because I would hate to draw attention of a passing baconator who feels he has to come bother and/or ticket us for having our dogs at the park...

I know that there are no dogs "allowed" at our course/park, but its not even remotely enforced. The only reason the cops ever patrol out there is to try and catch people smoking and drinking. All they end up doing is standing in the fairway of hole 1 refusing to move for about 30 mins.

My point is, maybe they were never "allowed" but its really only a rule in theory/technicality.

been going there for years, people always have had dogs. if anything the cops need to keep out the damn dirtbikers tearing up the course.

been going there for years, people always have had dogs. if anything the cops need to keep out the damn dirtbikers tearing up the course.

i have only played there a few times when visiting family and i think i have seen a dirtbiker every time i have been there.

There is a sign on O'Conner Rd. behind the number 5 tee box near the gate with all the park regulations posted on it.
I'm sure no one has ever seen it.

I had no idea. I took my dogs a few times. My friends and I took our dogs. For a total of 5 dogs...lol. we got a look from another guy...he was complaining about "when did this become a dog park" Didn't worry about him since his group had a disc golfer with a dog of his own. Maybe since our dogs weren't on leases.

anyway...I agree...I worry more about 4wheeler/dirtbikers tearing up the place.

One of my local courses Pickerington DGC is the same way. The course page so no dogs allowed, but I have see multiple people out there with their dogs, one of them being a member of the club that installed it.

How many DG dealers (not including chain stores) are in San Antonio?
Would San Antonio be a viable area to open a store?
Would it thrive immediately?

ITT: Dog owners break the law and get away with it. :|

Bad time of year to take your dog to McClain. Seen multiple rattlers out there this summer.

Seems like a bad time at any course in Texas this summer, I've seen snakes at 4 different courses already within the metroplex

How many DG dealers (not including chain stores) are in San Antonio?
Would San Antonio be a viable area to open a store?
Would it thrive immediately?

i am not sure there are any brick and mortar stores in SA that are disc golf focused but there are discs available in academy and dicks, my personal feeling is no, it would not be viable and no, it would not thrive

Last edited:
there are no DG dealers in San Antonio, i think the closest are in Austin. You can buy discs from Academy, Dick's and PlanetK (headshop). But like jcrab suggested, i do not think San Antonio, altho we have about 11 courses in town and 2 brand new 18 hole courses just opened at two College campuses here....but im not sure the community is out there, i play a lot and i seem to see the same regualars at most of the courses.

a disc golf store in sa would not thrive, although its a dream of mine. the selection at academy/dicks/planet k BLOWS. same sh!t, all year. i know the inventory of all those stores listed and i don't even have to step into the store because it's always the same.

believe me, i'd love a local store that sells gateway, lat 64 (omg that stuff is buttery goodness), millenium (they're based out of wimberley, why such a sh!tty selection, big box stores?), as well as a larger selection of the big brands (why can't i find dx rocs in san antonio?) but i just feel that the scene just isn't big enough to support a brick and mortar store.

Latest posts