• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wysocki's Instagram Stories ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last thing, anyone who has to deal with these bugs regularly should do is get a supply of doxycycline and take two pills anytime you get bitten, especially if you show any rash. If your feel any symptoms keep taking the antibiotics for a few weeks. I have been bitten several times and even had the bullseye rash but with these steps have never tested positive for lyme.

This is terrible advice. Yes, antibiotics will clear up your rash, etc, but telling people to get a supply of antibiotics and just take them whenever is irresponsible.

The over-prescription of antibiotics is already a huge issue, we don't need people taking them when they don't need to (like if you get bit but have no rash or symptoms).

The overuse of antibiotics just leads to more antibiotic resistant diseases.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2016/p0503-unnecessary-prescriptions.html

This is terrible advice. Yes, antibiotics will clear up your rash, etc, but telling people to get a supply of antibiotics and just take them whenever is irresponsible.

The over-prescription of antibiotics is already a huge issue, we don't need people taking them when they don't need to (like if you get bit but have no rash or symptoms).

Every time I have been bitten and gone to urgent care guess what they prescribe. 2 doxycycline to take as a precaution. Having a supply of them makes it easier to not have to go every time your bit.

When they test for Lyme, they're testing for the antibodies your body produces in response to the bacteria. Your body doesn't really start producing them for a few weeks. So you can be infected and test negative. And if you start antibiotic treatment early and the treatment is effective, you won't produce the antibodies to test positive.

There are a few different ways to get tested for lyme. Some test the blood for antibodies while others test for the actual dna of the borrelia bacteria. Some tests are done on spinal fluid while others simply a patients blood. Lyme is a tricky illness that can take many rounds of testing to diagnose.

When I had a tick bite and bullseye rash, they put me on a 14-day course of doxy. I thought that was a relatively standard treatment. I think 2 days doesn't really do much.

Again, I wonder if he even has Lyme. He posted a picture of a bug bite that looked like a typical spider bite or bee sting. He didn't pull a tick off himself from what I remember. Then he felt sick for a few weeks, then he started feeling better. What if he just got mono or something? Or a bad flu?

When I had a tick bite and bullseye rash, they put me on a 14-day course of doxy. I thought that was a relatively standard treatment. I think 2 days doesn't really do much.

Again, I wonder if he even has Lyme. He posted a picture of a bug bite that looked like a typical spider bite or bee sting. He didn't pull a tick off himself from what I remember. Then he felt sick for a few weeks, then he started feeling better. What if he just got mono or something? Or a bad flu?

This is where it gets inconsistent. Some doctors think just a one time dose is enough while others insist on a few weeks of treatment with a bite showing rash. I lean on the side of taking more as a precaution, especially if you think the tick has been on you for more than a few hours. The only time I wont bother taking any doxy when I'm bit is if I saw the tick crawling on me and it bit me before I got it off. In that case I just use some alcohol to clean the bite after soap and water. From what I've heard from medical professionals, the tick has to be attached a decent amount of time before infection can occur.

Every time I have been bitten and gone to urgent care guess what they prescribe. 2 doxycycline to take as a precaution. Having a supply of them makes it easier to not have to go every time your bit.

Right. That's exactly the problem - that's a bad practice.

Docs shouldn't be over-prescribing antibiotics like that.

Agree. But, prophylactic antibiotics are sometimes used, when the benefits outweigh the risks. This issue is prescription of more than two, allowing patients to self diagnose and prescribe. Nobody should have a stash of antibiotics to take as they feel needed.

Really? Sounds like a bunch of holier than thou jerks to me. It's getting really hard to find a thread on here were the people actually talk and act like a person.

Ricky is a grown man, let him make his own decisions. It's his health.

Dude, I've been through Lymes and the treatment.

I enjoy watching Ricky play and what he brings to Disc Golf.

He certainly is entitled to do what he wants, but he won't have a career anymore if he doesn't take care of this properly.

Lymes is nothing to mess around with.

Beyond the physical symptoms, it can ultimately lead to neurological issues as well.

I've only been watching disc golf for a few years but I've been playing for about 15 years. But I just don't understand the hate Ricky gets on here. I mean, the pro game is so much better with him in it. Hell, he's the only one really consistently pushing Paul in a lot of the bigger events. I was at final round of worlds this year and Ricky pushed paul to the limit. I don't know Ricky, but I just hope he gets well. The game, really OUR game is better if he does. This is just my two cents I guess. But I don't kick a man when he's down. And none of us that I'm aware of know him personally. The game's better with him than without though. That's a fact.

Ricky has been at the most elite level of disc golf pros for a while now. And now that the sport has a nascent spectator fan base, a player like that will naturally have some fans and some haters.

I agree 100% that pro frolf is better when Ricky's competing to the best of his abilities. To that end, it's frustrating if the rumors are true that he's suffering from The Lyme and eschewing well known, effective treatment measures. The snarky jokes come from legit concern for Ricky's well being, but also bewildered amazement that a top level pro athlete would so badly mismanage their own health.

If the rumors are false, then the hecklers are ignorant trolls tilting at windmills. Welcome to the internet! But if it's true, then Ricky has much bigger problems than a few sarcastic comments on DGCR. And they aren't the type of problems that can be solved by praying with your hand on a monkey skull.

So you are suggesting that people shouldn't take antibiotics after getting bit by a tick? I think that taking antibiotics is much safer than not, but I'm no expert. Symptoms can takes weeks to develop, and by the time they do you may have become infected to the point that treatment becomes much harder.

Last edited:
So you are suggesting that people shouldn't take antibiotics after getting bit by a tick? I think that taking antibiotics is much safer than not, but I'm no expert. Symptoms can takes weeks to develop, and by the time they do you may have become infected to the point that treatment becomes much harder.

I am suggesting that people should not have their own supply of antibiotics that they take whenever they feel it is warranted (like you recommended they do), since they are not doctors.

I don't fault you for listening to your doctors that prescribed 2 as preventative treatment.

That said, I believe the current consensus in the medical community would be that it's not the best practice. We are understanding better now the effect that years of over prescribing antibiotics has had, and there is a push to stop doing it. I think taking doxycycline just because you got bit is classic over-prescribing.

It's representative of American healthcare in general: who cares whether you actually need it, prescribe it (and charge for it) anyway.

Current recommendations from the CDC:

In areas that are highly endemic for Lyme disease, a single prophylactic dose of doxycycline (200 mg for adults or 4.4 mg/kg for children of any age weighing less than 45 kg) may be used to reduce the risk of acquiring Lyme disease after the bite of a high risk tick bite. Benefits of prophylaxis may outweigh risks when all of the following circumstances are present:
Doxycycline is not contraindicated.
The attached tick can be identified as an adult or nymphal I. scapularis tick.
The estimated time of attachment is ≥36 h based on the degree of tick engorgement with blood or likely time of exposure to the tick.
Prophylaxis can be started within 72 h of tick removal.
Lyme disease is common in the county or state where the tick bite occurred (i.e., CT, DE, DC, MA, MD, ME, MN, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WI, WV).

Taking a couple doses of doxy anytime you find a deer tick attached to you that was probably there for a day or more actually reduces the total amount of antibiotics taken, since if you let it go until you get full blown lyme, you'll be taking doxy twice a day for a month.

Current recommendations from the CDC:

In areas that are highly endemic for Lyme disease, a single prophylactic dose of doxycycline (200 mg for adults or 4.4 mg/kg for children of any age weighing less than 45 kg) may be used to reduce the risk of acquiring Lyme disease after the bite of a high risk tick bite. Benefits of prophylaxis may outweigh risks when all of the following circumstances are present:
Doxycycline is not contraindicated.
The attached tick can be identified as an adult or nymphal I. scapularis tick.
The estimated time of attachment is ≥36 h based on the degree of tick engorgement with blood or likely time of exposure to the tick.
Prophylaxis can be started within 72 h of tick removal.
Lyme disease is common in the county or state where the tick bite occurred (i.e., CT, DE, DC, MA, MD, ME, MN, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WI, WV).

OH is forgotten, also very common there too.

A friend of mine almost died from a tick bite. It isn't something to **** with. The bacteria can be VERY BAD. The only way to get better is to go to the doctor. You can't kill the bacteria with idiotic natural remedies, and any so called natural "doctor" that doesn't send someone with symptoms of lyme disease straight to real medical doctor should be drug out into the street and forced to suffer the bites of 1000 ticks. Ricky is going to be straight up ****ed and will possibly be dead if he doesn't go to the doctor. what a friggin moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.