• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] XCaliber?

For those wondering about a Champion XCal...

Recently picked up a Champion XCal. It is definitely very overstable off the shelf. It currently acts like my Z Flick. I haven't beat it up enough to see if it becomes as nice as my old Star Xcal (which has not become flippy yet - almost neutral).

I have the same problem with flipping a destroyer when I try to flick it too. I can even flip my max that way too. Problem, I'm afraid, is us not the discs. A good friend of mine who plays pro says you shouldn't have to adjust the disc for your flick. He can crush it both bh and fh and flicks a wraith or orc just as well as anything else. I think spin is the problem not speed. When you flick your wrist really hard in a flick the torque of a the disc is high. I think this causes it to turn over so fast it has not time to do anything but roll. I noticed if I back off that and put more arm into and less wrist it is a much better result. Problem is I can't do it consistently and I can't make by brain understand you don't have to throw so hard for a flick.

Xcaliber = discraft flick. Darn near impossible to turn either one of these discs over and if it has time it will always come back.
I have a 175 Xcaliber that's beat in to it's perfect flight stage, and the other day I bought a 170 Force and I swear they are the same disc. Very slight high speed turn in the beginning of it's flight sometimes but it straightens out very quick and flys far then fades hard left. I've don't usually forehand much but when I do I like these for hyzer shots.

I have not thrown an XCal yet, but I have always preferred overstable to stable discs for my forehand throw and my Pro Destroyer has been the best natural throw I have found. I may try an XCal someday as well, but like other threads it depends on what you don't like about the Destroyer an whether or not the XCal is for you.

I throw both XCal's and Destroyers. XCal's are definitely the most overstable of the three, and they all have some great glide. if you like the glide on a Destroyer, and you're strong enough to get an Xcal out there, then Xcals are great. You can put some annie on them, and as long as you're throwing it fast enough, it will hold the annie for a while, but will almost surely come out of it. and if you put it on a hyzer line, it will not flip. My XCal is slightly flippy, but that is only into some wind, and because it is beat up pretty bad. I used it for every long shot for about 8 months-hyzer drives, straight drives, forehand drives (I don't throw anhyzer hardly ever), overhand drives, and skipping shots. So it basically took every possible beating it could for those 8 months, and now it's too flippy to hold a line with a headwind, but with no wind or a tailwind, it's fine.

Champion Glow Xcals are the way to go. Super stable
I still prefer a new champ Destroyer for hyzer shots and a seasoned one for turnovers and max D

I have a 172 Star XCal and an R-Pro 160 XCal. The Star I throw for drives that I can put all of my power into and not worry about it turning over, also when they need to go around trees or finish hard left. The R-Pro I have not used a whole lot, but it turns over a bit, but is really straight with a less hard finish than the Star XCal.

I have a 172 Star XCal and an R-Pro 160 XCal.

never seen an r-pro xcal.

i've got a cfr champ xcal but i don't have the arm for it. i keep it in the bag and throw it just for super hyzers bh or fh. thing also masks my terrible fh form.
good disc to throw hyzer bombs when you've got water to the right, like hole 7 at lake park.

never seen an r-pro xcal.

i've got a cfr champ xcal but i don't have the arm for it. i keep it in the bag and throw it just for super hyzers bh or fh. thing also masks my terrible fh form.
good disc to throw hyzer bombs when you've got water to the right, like hole 7 at lake park.

I think R-Pro Xcals were only released as fundraisers for the Japan Open. I have a 145g R-Pro Xcal... yet to see how it flies.

Latest posts