• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

XXX

god dammit. I've just fallen in love with my champ FB and now I read all of this. I love the lat64 discs I've tried so far and now I'm going to have to try and find one of these to test drive.

Any chance there's room for both in the bag?

what'shisname said:
god dammit. I've just fallen in love with my champ FB and now I read all of this. I love the lat64 discs I've tried so far and now I'm going to have to try and find one of these to test drive.

Dammit indeed. I've been rolling with the pred / xtreme combo recently and been liking it pretty good but all this xXx speak has me thinking I could replace both with one disc. I'm assuming that the xXx is less HSS than an xtreme?

Jesse....what is the max range one a xXx throw for you? You and I have about the same max d I think so you would be a good barometer for me on this disc?

peppermack said:
Jesse....what is the max range one a xXx throw for you? You and I have about the same max d I think so you would be a good barometer for me on this disc?
BH, 320/330 or so EDIT: on big flex lines ive thrown them in the 350 range BH but i never find myself throwing that for golf
FH, 370/380
OH, bout 340/350

what'shisname said:

I can't see any reason at all to have both.

discspeed said:
what'shisname said:

I can't see any reason at all to have both.
unless your FB is DX........but still no

Hmmm...when springtime roles around I am going to have to try one out. On a slightly off topic, I sure as hell with I could throw overhand. I have a strong arm, but man for some reason I can't throw overhand for shit. One of you guys need to make a trip out to Idaho this summer and teach me this throw. I have not met anyone around here that throws it with much success either. Visit Yellowstone park which is only 70 miles from my house, and teach Karl to throw overhand. I don't have much in the way of Disc Golf Skills to teach anyone else, but if it involves hunting, building stuff, or other random farm skills I'm you man :wink:

uNicedmeMan said:
Dammit indeed. I've been rolling with the pred / xtreme combo recently and been liking it pretty good but all this xXx speak has me thinking I could replace both with one disc. I'm assuming that the xXx is less HSS than an xtreme?

It is probably a tad less HSS, but it would take a disc cannon to tell the difference. The main difference is speed and glide, which the XXX has some of, the extreme none.

I don't know if you could replace a semi-beat Z Pred with the XXX because the Pred is longer. I use a new Champ EX for that slot and its place in my bag is secure.

My Z Pred is getting to beat to be a good overhand disc (I still love for BH headwind duties though) so I might just try this disc out. Also if you're looking for a max D overhand disc is it better to go max weight or as light as possible?

Risk said:
My Z Pred is getting to beat to be a good overhand disc (I still love for BH headwind duties though) so I might just try this disc out. Also if you're looking for a max D overhand disc is it better to go max weight or as light as possible?
if you have some arm to put behind it max weight will be longer in most conditions IMO

The only reason I'm still using the 11x fb is because I can throw it farther overhand. Backhand I like the XXX better.

Jesse B 707 said:
discspeed said:
Jesse-Have you gotten one broken in any yet?
i have gotten a few pretty broken in (looking) but the flight has not really changed on any of mine yet, granted my last 2 were aced with and put on the wall just as they were getting really seasoned so its hard to say, id REALLY like to try one in gold line though for a (possibly) less stable/longer option in the bag to compliment my Optos

It would be great to have a longer/less stable XXX...it would have a chance at knocking my champ EX out of the bag because I basically only use it for hyzers as I use the Stalker for everything else.

discspeed said:
Jesse B 707 said:
discspeed said:
i have gotten a few pretty broken in (looking) but the flight has not really changed on any of mine yet, granted my last 2 were aced with and put on the wall just as they were getting really seasoned so its hard to say, id REALLY like to try one in gold line though for a (possibly) less stable/longer option in the bag to compliment my Optos

It would be great to have a longer/less stable XXX.

Like an Orion LF in Opto......yummmmm!

RoomTenONine said:
discspeed said:
Jesse B 707 said:
discspeed said:

There's like 12 steps of stability between an OLF and an XXX...maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but the OLF is nowhere close to a zero in HSS. I would like something fast that is not going to turn over unless thrown flat into a 20mph headwind, yet has a straight portion to its flight path without being thrown turned over.

BTW, I know I'm late to the party, but OPTO plastic is effing sweet! I tried to file the little bit of flashing off my XXX like I do with all my other discs and after about 10 minutes I just said F-it and gave up. That's some tough plastic!

I did consider a XXX tonight at the store but gave up the thought after the only one marked 171 was actually 174. I didn't bother weighing the others marked higher since in my experience L64 tends to usually be over the listed weight, not under. Did pick up a Trident for the hell of it though.

discspeed said:
RoomTenONine said:
discspeed said:
Jesse B 707 said:
discspeed said:

There's like 12 steps of stability between an OLF and an XXX...maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but the OLF is nowhere close to a zero in HSS. I would like something fast that is not going to turn over unless thrown flat into a 20mph headwind, yet has a straight portion to its flight path without being thrown turned over.

BTW, I know I'm late to the party, but OPTO plastic is effing sweet! I tried to file the little bit of flashing off my XXX like I do with all my other discs and after about 10 minutes I just said F-it and gave up. That's some tough plastic!

As tough as it is, still try not to hit rocks with it. I permascarred one of my strikers on a giant boulder 300' out in the center of a fairway. Why there is a giant rock in the middle of a large open grassy fairway... or how I manged to nail it front and center... I will never know...

Because I'm curious, damnit! :p

Plus the utility of a disc for someone throwing 370-400 can be totally different than that of someone at 270-300 so despite you and Jesse not liking it much that doesn't mean it won't potentially work well for me.

JimW said:
I did consider a XXX tonight at the store but gave up the thought after the only one marked 171 was actually 174. I didn't bother weighing the others marked higher since in my experience L64 tends to usually be over the listed weight, not under. Did pick up a Trident for the hell of it though.

You trusted that old scale!!??? I have a scientific scale at home that goes to a 10th of a gram. I know what my discs weigh so I bring my bag into the store. When I bought my XXX the scale was weighing 2+ grams heavy, so that XXX probably was 171-172. That Trident just doesn't have a look of aerodynamic performance...It does look like it could roll well though. Its going to be sloversable like a mofo...

Stuff I've weighed there and then at home has generally been about right in my experience, I wasn't aware there was a potential issue. Either way I don't think the XXX is at all a viable option for me unless I replaced that CP Firebird with it, just going to be too overstable. I actually grabbed a 169g Star Eagle tonight to fill the spot I've been using seasoned DX Firebirds for.

I'll be testing out the Trident as a roller too of course, as well as on short thumbers. It's something new and a little unusual to play with and thats all that matters anyway :lol: