• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

XXX

how would the xxx compare to the flick? or is it just better saying its a faster longer firebird, or a predator for that matter

more glide than a FB, not as long as a pred is the general statement i hear, mine coming in the mail soon!

also, i shoulda stated before...
i'd like to know for overhands, fh, and bh comparisons
i'm most interested in overhands, but it may become a headwind driver also

MotoDj said:
also, i shoulda stated before...
i'd like to know for overhands, fh, and bh comparisons
i'm most interested in overhands, but it may become a headwind driver also

I replaced my champ FB with the XXX a couple of months ago. It is much like the FB, so much so that it took very little adjustment on my part to get used to it for all shots. It was a much easier transition than going from a Predator to a FB or vice versa. It has a smoother flight than the FB as is every bit as stable. On overhand shots it goes farther with less arm. At first I though that the FB was straighter on the thumber line, but the reality is that the XXX is just a little more workable if thrown on slightly different angles.

When thrown with hyzer, bh or fh, the XXX is hard to differentiate from a FB except for the fact that it is a bit faster with more skip. However, when thrown turned over the XXX will get better glide and have a slower transition back to stable (I think due to its larger diameter) yielding better distance. So when thrown with hyzer its hard for me to get more than 320' with the XXX, but if I gun it Spirit style (turned over significantly) it can go 360' on a huge S turn. This can be a bit tricky transitioning from a FB on like 200' approach forehands. Where my FB was a bit forgiving if I turned it over too much, if I turn the XXX over as much it will go too far.

I don't understand how this thing is so much longer on overhands than my Firebirds! It doesn't seem to hang in the air any longer, but I get an exrta 30 feet easy with it. I am having some trouble getting the same backhand distance as my Firebirds, but if I'm going for backhand distance I'm not throwing an overstable mold!

mason65 said:
I don't understand how this thing is so much longer on overhands than my Firebirds! It doesn't seem to hang in the air any longer, but I get an extra 30 feet easy with it. I am having some trouble getting the same backhand distance as my Firebirds, but if I'm going for backhand distance I'm not throwing an overstable mold!

I think its a combination of the fact that the disc is faster, yet the larger diameter causes its roll through the air on overhand shot to go slower thus penetrate further forward.

mason65 said:
I don't understand how this thing is so much longer on overhands than my Firebirds! It doesn't seem to hang in the air any longer, but I get an extra 30 feet easy with it. I am having some trouble getting the same backhand distance as my Firebirds, but if I'm going for backhand distance I'm not throwing an overstable mold!
Is that the one I sold you? I guess it just likes you better than it did me!

Roc Lover said:
has anyone tries any FH rollers with it? how does it do?

Great! I can't compare it exactly to my Proline FB that I used to use for rollers because that was a bit broken in but the XXX is at least as stable on rollers and probably a little more than the FB was even when new. Brand new the XXX just did not want to stand up all the way if I started it with any sort of rightward lean and though that tendency lessened some after it hit a few things it still resists turning left at the end unless I start it nearly straight.

That's for rollers that probably don't go more than 270 or so at best, if you can get a lot more forehand snap than me then I doubt the above behaviors will hold exactly true, but its stability should be great for rollers regardless.

adamschneider said:
mason65 said:
Is that the one I sold you? I guess it just likes you better than it did me!

Yes! The one you sold me is an identical copy of one I already had (yellow, 169g.) So they're pretty interchangable.

I have been digging the XXX for shorter hyzers. It is definitely not as long as my predator. It is sooo consistent though. It is my hyzer birdie machine.

I bought a domey XXX to try out thinking it might be nice to have a longer and glidier version of my trusty flat XXX. It was at least 95% as overstable as my flats despite being a gram or so lighter. It was a little weird on overhand shots. I ended up giving it to a buddy, but for anyone who doesn't throw a lot of overhands, do not fear the domey XXXs.

I got in a couple xxx and they are what I wanted my 1st one to be. The one I got when they released was like an avenger or an xtra. Not really overstable and flexed out bigtime in a wind.

The new ones are what I wanted them to be. They fly like a firebird but longer. It is really nice. More testing to come.

There must be some variability in XXX. Mine (which I like) is an absolute lawn dart. More overstable than a champ FB by quite a bit. It has a bit of dome, certainly not huge.

I'm getting an XXX to replace my firebirds. I just want it for my overhand shots, and maybe the rand?om dog leg upshot or something. Are XXX's all the same? domey, flat, different runs.. etc Does any of that matter for what I want?

tigel said:
I'm getting an XXX to replace my firebirds. I just want it for my overhand shots, and maybe the rand?om dog leg upshot or something. Are XXX's all the same? domey, flat, different runs.. etc Does any of that matter for what I want?

I've thrown flat ones (the three I have are flat as flat can be) and a domey one. They were not all that different. All sick overstable. DGdave and Jesse speak of less stable XXX's, but I've not experienced any.

I've just got in 3 from a newer run. 2 had a little dome and one was table top flat. They all fly the same very overstable flight. They are very nice.

A guy around here has a really domey XXX and it is less stable than the flat ones I have. It is still really overstable though.