• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

YAY!! I've FINALLY GOT DARK DYES!!!

ferretdance03 said:
I've never really had too many issues with contact paper residue. Usually some hot soapy water will do the trick. I've also used acetone, but only a little bit, and I wash the disc right away so it doesn't effect the dye.

Iso alcohol works for me.

Happy Holloween!!!

firebird.jpg

how does old KC plastic take dye. I have some white discs I'd like to be orange I think

do you guys mean the Mid/Putter plastic? I'm talking about the old KC Pro Driver plastic. Like Teebirds and Firebirds

I was talking about kc aviar plastic. The old stuff, that's just like CE, right?

Some was. Some was a hybrid candy/Kc pro and some was pro. It is kinda like the newer pro plastics, but a little more grippy and durrable

Pro dyes all right, but it fades and blurs pretty quickly. If you're not doing to intricate of a design, it'll work fine, but if you do anything with any detail, it'll continually fade and widen...like slo-mo absorption and won't look so hot anymore.

my friend Chuck did this one
P1013702.jpg

which I thought was one of his coolest dyes. Unfortunately though, it was on pro plastic and within a month or two, it'd lost all its sharpness and clarity. Star plastic will behave the same way, btw, it just takes longer to do it. The solid black dyes I have on star seem to hold up just fine though.

^^^Nice, and what a coincidence, I was looking through my old laptop hd yesterday and found all the episodes of the show.

Yep, based on the comic by Sam Keith. Slightly amusing note. On the show Maxx always asks if people have any toast. That's a copyright thing. In the comic, he's after Pez.

Well, it's coming to that time of year again, Christmas. I want to spend a little money on myself so, I was wondering if any one could dye a disc for me. The disc would be a Champion Teebird and the dye would be the logo of the band Phish.
I am willing to pay pretty much whatever you want so please pm me with any offers and if you could send a picture of a dye you have done.
Thanks,
Jack

P.S. if you need my email for any reason pm me.

Just throwin out some new stuff I've been workin on.
Friend of mine wanted a University of Georgia logo with this arches logo.. All dead center of it... I one upped it and decided to get a shadowed print of a bulldog on it.
Gonna try to do some custom shading to make some of the black stuff fade a little.
Gonna be some time tho, but should come out lookin cool.

bulldog.sized.jpeg

Damn you guys have give me some ideas.
Anyone who has ever been to Houston will remember the old "Astroworld " logo. I did this with a marker. Not great, but it was my first attempt. I loved the "Sky Screamer" at Astrowold, so I figured that would be a great name for a disc. Here is my first attempt on a Discraft XL.

AstroworldDisc.jpg

got the image done. All that is left is for me to mock up the Georgia "G" and put it in the oval at the bottom. Prolly knock that out this weekend
Bulldog2.sized.jpeg

So, I've successfully dyed some discs. They didn't turn out as professional as I wanted but I know why and with some more time I could achieve professional quality dyes.

My quesiton is, how do companies like huk lab replicate dyes so well. I am assuming that the process is also quick inorder to keep an inventory.

Same process I've talked about in earlier posts: sign vinyl and just rit dye in water. AFAIK, the only things they dye are the "tri-fly" symbols, which are pretty durn simple, the rest of their stuff is actual custom stamps. I imagine they have a stack of precut templates sitting in their workshop, and whenever they want to dye a disc, just acetone the factory stamp away, slap the vinyl cutout on there, and dip it in the dye. I don't know if they have a plotter to do it all themselves, or just get a sign shop to cut out the templates for them.

Latest posts