• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

YAY!! I've FINALLY GOT DARK DYES!!!

If I wanted to dye this onto a disc (the thumb drawing, not the faded wizard) how would I go about doing the shading?

I would really like to get it onto my putter permanently because it really helps me to remember to grip the disc properly but it keeps fading and I have to redraw it with the sharpie about once a month. Also would dying hold up longer than that since I would be gripping there a minimum of 18 times a round usually.

I would be dying this onto a few eraser wizards and this firm wizard, all S plastic if that matters.

I wouldn't recomend dying a wizard. The dye does not take well at all. At best it comes out looking really faded.

The Natural said:
I wouldn't recomend dying a wizard. The dye does not take well at all. At best it comes out looking really faded.

At least not any of the S plastics.

Frank
An E plastic Wiz would hold a dye.
Interesting nemonic device there.
I use the cloving of my Wiz in the same way.
My thumb must always be in one of the dimples.

The Euphoric Nightmare said:
The Natural said:

At least not any of the S plastics.

Frank
An E plastic Wiz would hold a dye.
Interesting nemonic device there.
I use the cloving of my Wiz in the same way.
My thumb must always be in one of the dimples.

That is pretty disappointing, I was really hoping that dying would take but oh well.

Nightmare

I have some driving wizards I do the clovering thing with but for my putter I don't like clovering on it. I have to have a flat putter which is why I am using that firm right now. I drew it on there because I have a tenancy to not grip the putter fully and it slips out early when I try to putt. With that drawing I make sure my thumb is covering the whole thing and then I know I am gripping it properly.

Zamson

Thanks man.

New dye I finished tonight.
To be honest, I'm totally not satisfied with this one at all. It's the first one Ive done for someone for cash. She emailed me and wanted me to do a Cowboy Bebop themed one for her boyfriend for christmas.

It started out good, but then it actually started to BAKE THE F'ING DISC.
I'm totally pissed. I didn't think going up on the heat would actually turn the damn disc BROWN. It's total bullshit.
It started off clean.

l_114089c39a8a8d6759a9aba56da7c600.jpg

Red looked nice, whites were still white.
Then I started with the other side, and it basically burned the damn thing into submission. What I dont get is that I pretty much did it like all of my other dyes.
So it kinda came as a shocker to see this brown appear outta nowhere.

The black dye you see is more of a border for each image, which I was kind of planning, but I had to make just some random anime lookin border to hide several flaws. It totally pissed me the hell off cuz I wanted this to be cleaner.
l_36a589ba8b1c6e827e5db5d7d10398c2.jpg

Now the brown burning looks good for a skin color, but I really wanted the backdrop from the image to be SOLID WHITE.
UGHHHHHHHHHHHH
But hell, Lesson learned. It's just another thing I've learned from dying a disc.

I've got a black KC pro aviar that has faded a little bit. Would it be too difficult to redarken the dye or should I just leave it as it is?

AciDBatH666 said:
New dye I finished tonight.
To be honest, I'm totally not satisfied with this one at all. It's the first one Ive done for someone for cash. She emailed me and wanted me to do a Cowboy Bebop themed one for her boyfriend for christmas.

It started out good, but then it actually started to BAKE THE F'ING DISC.
I'm totally pissed. I didn't think going up on the heat would actually turn the damn disc BROWN. It's total bullshit.
It started off clean.

Red looked nice, whites were still white.
Then I started with the other side, and it basically burned the damn thing into submission. What I dont get is that I pretty much did it like all of my other dyes.
So it kinda came as a shocker to see this brown appear outta nowhere.

Yeah, I've been hit by the brown menace before, too. It's happened when we've been dyeing a disc and then gotten distracted by something else, and 20 minutes later, it's "OH SHIT! The disc is still on the stove!" If you can see the dye steaming from the pot, it's generally a bad sign....

I know my buddy is always nervous when he has to dye a custom disc for someone else...always so much more pressure to get it exactly perfect, and it's so easy to make a quick, irreversible mistake.

Good job with the dye besides the brownness though, those lines look really clean and I don't see any runs. Nice 4-color dye as well. Gotta love the Bebop!

ZAMson said:
BenKrishman said:
I've got a black KC pro aviar that has faded a little bit.
whoa, those fade? how long have you had it, and is it fading drastically? 85% grey? ;)

i see a sun-bleach dye job possibility.. thought about doing that with some of the white star and pro discs that turn eggshell in the sun.

Stamp removal with a Magic Eraser faded out a couple spots on my new aviar. The fading isn't really bad, you don't really notice unless you're looking for it but when comparing to the bottom of the disc it's definitely not as dark.

Does anyone know of a good stamp remover for pro plastic? The magic eraser worked great on my Pro wraith, color is perfectly intact but I had a very hard time getting the stamp off of the black aviar, and the areas that are gone are slightly faded now. I'm guessing I'll probably just leave stamps on the black aviars until I figure something out.

Interesting. I can definitely live with it for now. I think I might buy another however and use that one until I attempt to re-dye the top of my current aviar.

Ok, I want to start dyeing disc, and I have read this whole thread, and I can not find any step by step instructions on how to get started. Please help. I need to know what I need, and what I need to buy that will be ruined buy the dye, and also what kind of plastic will and won't work, and where to get the contact paper. Thanks.

Midnightbiker said:
Ok, I want to start dyeing disc, and I have read this whole thread, and I can not find any step by step instructions on how to get started. Please help. I need to know what I need, and what I need to buy that will be ruined buy the dye, and also what kind of plastic will and won't work, and where to get the contact paper. Thanks.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/dye.shtml

Jerry R said:
Midnightbiker said:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/dye.shtml

Cool, thanks. I guess now I have my work cut out for me.

You might try a product called Goof Off 2. It's made by the people who make Goo Gone, but this is formulated not to damage plastics. It's water based and should well take off stamps <accidentally pulled part of the stamp off my white star shark with it>

NEW DYE!!!!!!

Friend of mine wanted a WEEN disc, told me to just put their logo, but I said why the hell just that. It's too simple. ANd I gotta make it complicated.
So I went with an image of the 2 band members, with 2 layers of darks.
I wanted to make the lighter shade of black a little lighter, but oh well.
still came out cool. Im sure my friend will be stoked.

l_76257e9362cee094c3a7bd237a82a97b.jpg

Animix said:
You might try a product called Goof Off 2. It's made by the people who make Goo Gone, but this is formulated not to damage plastics. It's water based and should well take off stamps <accidentally pulled part of the stamp off my white star shark with it>

I bought the "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" and it did a great job taking off the ink. Its very cheap and did a fantastic job:

Xmdisc2.jpg

Xmdisc3.jpg