• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Your Favorite Forehand Mid-Range Disc

jrodkelly1

Hey everybody, I know that there has been a similar post to this in the past but the last response was 7 years ago. So I feel like now is a good time to get some feedback from those of you who flick midranges. What are your mid's of choice? I can't seem to find a mid range that flicks well for me. I love the Gator but I can't flick it, and I've tried the Rocx3. I like it as well, but I don't flick it very well either. I know part of this might be user error but I can flick a putter around 200-225 so I know its not all my fault. I heard good things about the Hyzerbomb mortar, but I wanted to get some feedback before I started to buy every mid on the market.

I'm pretty biased but I've had a ton of success forehanding the Gila (made by Reptilian Disc Golf)

The Warrior, Verdict & Prophecy are also fantastic options for a reliable, straight to fade forehand mid.

If you prefer beadless, the BuzzzOS, Demon or Drone are great picks.

I use the same discs I use for backhand a Innova Shark, Star and an old Pro Plastic and a Champion Shark 3. They are bead-less so I can do forehand as well as my much more used backhand. I also use a Discraft Impact forehand as my forehand is not that good and the bead on that disc seems to fall in line with the plastic to keep it from being an issue, in fact if the Impact did not have a bead the bottom part of the wing would be too sharp to even use the disc period.

my ion is my approach disc

i use whatever

if there is a ceiling im discing up

ion is the disc all disc

I bag a Justice for FH under 300, it's git a slam bead to maintain beef, but I've never hung it out like other beaded mids.

I'll use my Bards to hyzerflip FH, but not all the time.

The Gila is also good in the Amber plastic, I know it's JCs disc, but he isn't wrong. You can flick them hard and they can flip, but it takes a ton.

Verdict, Demon and it's not really a mid but I use the Stego like this. Up to 250.

Verdict is what I use, I'll typically FH it up to 275' for laser straight approaches with a soft to moderate finish. I can probably get it further but I don't really smash it on the open field to see how far it goes, I just know it holds straight for that far. It is kind of a fast midrange, so on a hard flick it will carry some speed on the ground. If you are FH'ing your putters within 150-200' then the Verdict will definitely take over from there no problem.

I've thrown the mortar and I don't think it will add distance to your putter throws by an appreciable amount. It will add flexability or increased fade to your options.

A champ leopard or leopard3 is what I use as my forehand "midrange." If you're truly proficient with your putter forehands you should be able to do amazing things with the leopard.

For my forehand game in the past I have flicked either zones or harps and then stepped up to a XXX. I flick my verdict once and a while when I feel the shot is just out of harp range and it works great! I also occasionally flick my EMAC Truth for flip up to straight lines.

Last year I toyed around with a Buzzz OS and it held great flick lines. Similar to the harp. Just longer.

So my answer is Verdict, Buzzz OS, or EMAC Truth.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I hate forehanding a disc with a bead. My mid/approach lineup for forehands are.... Harp, Drone, MD4, and I'm thinking of picking up a Shark3. For any beefier forehand lines I club up to a sexton firebird.

And I'm searching for a beadless mortar but they seem hard to find. Hyzerbomb needs to restock these things asap.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What do you mean by "cant flick" these discs? They aren't controllable, or you can't grip them the way you'd like? If you are getting clean putter forehands out to 225' you should be able to throw just about any mid with success.

With that being said, I don't bag anything different for forehands. Just rocs as far as mids go. I've bagged a mortar in the past and I agree it won't add a whole lot of distance for you, and a mortar is just a gator with a smaller/no bead so if you don't like the gator you may not like the mortar either. What sort of flight are you trying to achieve here?

I actually prefer a bead on my mids for a forehand, they just come out cleaner. Just the shape of my fingers I guess.

I forehand Rocs and Comets. They're the only mids I carry

Verdict = farthest mid I can FH, and it feels great in the hand for a Flick-

I carry 2, a beat Lucid for straighter and a fresh Hybrid for more beef/fade

Buzzz OS is also a good option, although it's the last non trilogy Disc in my bag and I have been throwing it BH lately

I flick the same mids I backhand - Truth and M4. Truth is flat, low profile, and very comfortable in my FH grip.

Tried Verdict for a while. Good disc, but I prefer to carry fewer discs and make shots work with what I have.

Buzzz/Wasp

I really have started loving flicking my mids. I kind of want to get a Meteor to try an US disc for flicking.

I have 3 mid-range molds that I like for FH.

1. Buzzz OS: These are amazing for FH. Very OS I like that they're made in durable Z plastic. A real workhorse in my bag. Just takes some field work to figure out how much power to give it. A FH exclusive for me b/c I don't have the power in my BH to get a true flight from it.
2. Glo Z Buzzz: Very stable. Great for standstill FH shots and hyzer-flip FH's.
3. Zone: This is a mid-range, not a putter. Long approaches and is used mainly as my mini Buzzz OS where I don't have to power into it as much.

I'll toss in some FH advice that may help along your journey. Keep your elbow tucked in and the disc up near your shoulder. Stack the middle finger on top of the index. Figure out how to draw power from your hips and shoulders. Avoid that silly swing around pre-throw thing that McBeth and Simon do. It's just unnecessary.

Last edited:
Probably Verdict. It's very versatile. I throw it bh, fh, and overhand. I love the Claymore also and just got a Core and it's gotten a lot of use already. It may eventually be my favorite.

Latest posts