• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Your favorite 'NEW to you' disc you've tried in the last 6-12 months?

Drone.

I've been through Pigs, Gators, Mortars, Rhynos, etc.

Beef + Glide is a wonderful thing. Too bad they're basically OOP.

Beef+Glide is a wonderful thing when you play in calm conditions and want a nice predictable overstable finish. It's a terrible thing when the wind is howling though, which is primarily when my beefy discs earn their keep. That's why I replaced my Drone with its slower brick of a cousin, the Zone. No glide at all, even in a hurricane.

Beef+Glide is a wonderful thing when you play in calm conditions and want a nice predictable overstable finish. It's a terrible thing when the wind is howling though, which is primarily when my beefy discs earn their keep. That's why I replaced my Drone with its slower brick of a cousin, the Zone. No glide at all, even in a hurricane.

To each their own. I recently benched the Drone just for curiosities sake, but I've been throwing them since their release. They aren't too glidey and ANY disc will be affected by the wind. Just know your nose angles and the direction the wind is going - if the bottom of any disc is exposed to the wind it's gonna glide extra in that direction. Exposing the top of the disc will cause it to be pushed down.

Not saying you shouldn't switch to the Zone because they're an absolutely awesome mold. Just saying reading the wind is more important than which disc you choose to blame the wind on. EDIT: sometimes "riding the wind" is super beneficial as well.

The un-inked, unknown weight Star lite wraith I found on Sunday. I threw it from the parking lot into a field anticipating leaving it for someone who needed it. It flew way too beautifully and far. I went and retrieved it. I counted over 160 paces.

Also I like recon mortar 1.4's.

To each their own. I recently benched the Drone just for curiosities sake, but I've been throwing them since their release. They aren't too glidey and ANY disc will be affected by the wind. Just know your nose angles and the direction the wind is going - if the bottom of any disc is exposed to the wind it's gonna glide extra in that direction. Exposing the top of the disc will cause it to be pushed down.

Not saying you shouldn't switch to the Zone because they're an absolutely awesome mold. Just saying reading the wind is more important than which disc you choose to blame the wind on. EDIT: sometimes "riding the wind" is super beneficial as well.

That it can be. I have gotten good at riding the wind though some molds are not for any wind as they are too flippy in the understable category

A couple new to me molds made the bag this year:

Kastaplast Stal - Kicked out Firebirds which I thought was impossible
Discraft Zone - How did I never throw this before? Kicked out the Harp
Kastaplast Reko in K3 plastic - The straight approach disc that I have always been looking for since Axiom won't make a base Proxy

Drone.

I've been through Pigs, Gators, Mortars, Rhynos, etc.

Beef + Glide is a wonderful thing. Too bad they're basically OOP.

The Drone is plenty capable of fighting headwinds. I don't throw it often, but if the wind is up and I have a 'Buzz' shot, I'll switch up to the Drone and get similar results as a Buzzz in calm conditions.

Agree on nose angle and exposing flight plates, but I find the Drone to be a little more forgiving in windy conditions...
I bag the Drone & the Zone, but use them differently.
Drone = Overstable Mid - RHBH
Zone = Overstable Putter - RHBH & RHFH approaches

Not a new disc, or even new to me, but I've had a lot of success with the Drone over the years. If they ever do go OOP, I'd probably switch to a Gateway Demon.

The Drone is plenty capable of fighting headwinds. I don't throw it often, but if the wind is up and I have a 'Buzz' shot, I'll switch up to the Drone and get similar results as a Buzzz in calm conditions.

After re-reading my post, I see that I wasn't quite clear with why I don't like throwing the Drone on windy days. It's not a matter of fighting headwinds, which yes the Drone does a great job of. Instead it's in those weird combos of crosswinds that I don't like how the Drone flies, especially on days where the wind swirls a bit.

I find the Drone to be exceptionally glidey for a beefy disc, which means the flightplate is exposed for longer than something like a Zone. And yeah, the goal is to not expose the flight plate to the side the wind is coming from but that's not always possible. As an example, sometimes you need a shot that fades left, but the wind is blowing hard from the right. That shot for me is extremely difficult to control with a glidey OS disc like a Drone. I want something that fights to go to the ground to offset the lift created by the wind...something like a Zone.

In a nutshell, Drone and Zone both are great in a headwind. Drone has too much glide for me to control well in some crosswind situations, whereas the Zone has no such issue. I don't get enough of a distance difference to justify bagging both, so for me the decision is Drone or Zone not both. If I need more distance I'll step up to my most stable Felon, although that too gives me less control compared to the Zone.

PA-1's have found a home in my bag. I love them. I have kept bulldogs (RIP), VPs, panzer tanks, and a caltrop in that spot. I loved my first run panzer tanks because they were so good for full power shots.Later runs were not the same and they beat in super fast. The PA-1 is a great thrower and my most recent ace was with one.

PA-1's have found a home in my bag. I love them. I have kept bulldogs (RIP), VPs, panzer tanks, and a caltrop in that spot. I loved my first run panzer tanks because they were so good for full power shots.Later runs were not the same and they beat in super fast. The PA-1 is a great thrower and my most recent ace was with one.

which plastics are you using? i'm thinking about trying one as a straight to overstable thrower

I have one of the prototypes in firm translucent plastic maybe like the current 750 plastic .The 300 and 350 are my faves. 300 beats in quicker and the 350g is perfectly firm, but still tacky, great for driving. I pretty much reach for a pa1 for any hole under 300ft. They have been so much fun to throw. they work great for forehand approach shots too. I want to snag a couple in 400g plastic next.

Moonshine Deputy- I had no intentions of ever giving this disc a try as a throwing putter. I received one in the Handeye subscription box and this thing was Awesome! This compliments my Judge very well!
Innova XT Nova- I put off buying this disc for years but I'm super glad I finally picked this up. I love how this disc floats and then just sits down nicely.
The Deputy and Nova are both in my bag, eventually one will leave. As off now I'm loving these discs.

Star Mirage for me. It doesn't come out often, but it's always a fun throw when it does. It's a bit more under-stable than I'd like, but definitely has changed my approach on several holes at my local courses.

Latest posts