• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your First Bag / Discs

My first bag is no longer with me.

My first discs were all purchased from Play It Again Sports. They included:

1. JK Aviar
2. Recycled Latitude 64 Fuse
3. A Helium - this was apparently some college molding project that made it out into the wild and then into the used box at PIAS. Not legal, and felt really weird in the hand, but it had a colorful stamp on top and I had no idea what I was looking for since I was a beginner.

I still have them.

First 3 discs were from a Whamo starter set, the Turn driver, Over mid, and putter. Those are long gone.

First bag I used was a regular old school backpack from my college. First real dg bag was the DGA Starter Bag. I still have both, but not used in over a decade.

Fairly certain first disc was a DX Raven, followed by a couple DX Cobras, then a Candy Pro Firebird? Had that Firebird a long time... :(

First bag came after a decade of being a three disc chucker, think it was a Fade bag with that great rain fly. Still have it!

Think this was the exact one! Look at that stamp, glorious.

s-l500.jpg

Here's my first bag! I bought it the summer of 2003 in Spokane, WA at a Play It Again Sports.
The discs are long gone, but if I still had them they'd be a dx spider, a dx leopard, and a champion eagle. Honestly, it was a great setup even though I had no idea how to play or what to throw.

Attachments

• 20230225_120242.jpg
    20230225_120242.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 19
I still have my discs. I had a small blue Innova shoulder bag but gave it to a friend's child who was starting out. I replaced it eventually with a similar bag for light rounds. The discs? All bought on the same day as the local shop's recommendations. A neon yellow Z Buzzz, bright yellow +170 Carat Diamond, grey swirl Deputy, and a yellow Gateway mini marker. My discs in the bag have changed a lot since that day (I don't sell or trade in any discs), but the +170 Carat Diamond has never left my main summer bag / cart. Now I want to take those original 3 discs and play a round with them lol. It was a pretty solid shop recommendation for a new player.

I carried my discs in a plastic grocery store bag for the first two months I played.

I played literally every day for two months before I took a couple of days off because my leg hurt.

I carried a Rattler, a cryztal Buzzz SS, and a blizzard Katana.

I only used the Buzzz SS (for putting and pretty much everything), and the Katana (for "oh, that looks far").

I still have and would totally bag that Buzzz SS.

Thrembo, your pic of this Phantom got me thinking of OG Discraft discs i once threw......

Back in the day, the Cruiser had a HUGE beveled edge
c2599386c9b4.jpg

d5594b987420.jpg

Also, the Glo Maurauder was my go to midrange before the Roc

851acccac94f.jpg

NICE! That Motor City Chain Gang stamp is classic. They are still around and kicking. I think BogeyNoMore plays in a league of theirs.

Aahh
The Cruiser, first disc I rolled over 700 feet.

Down the fairway on the hole I was on,
then down the next holes fairway as well...

Parked that basket...
Save the par with a great approach back and made the putt.

Went to tee "the next hole" parked that one for drop in birdie...

Remember when they added a bead to the Cruiser and called it the Windstar?
Don't remember if that was Discrafts first over-stable driver or was it the Vortex...

My first bag was lost in water [so to speak]

After my friend took me to play, I went online in Dec 2009 and bought an unofficial 5 disc innova disc golf starter set from a private seller that included a red innova small shoulder starter bag. [My buddy was using a grey innova starter bag.]

The discs were all dx: an aviar, spider, leopard, valkyrie, and destroyer.

I went to Johnson Road in Germantown/Memphis TN which plays around two lakes with water on the right ~59% of the time! By the time I got to #18, I only had the aviar and spider. Of course I threw the spider in the drink. But i quit and saved the putter. I later gave it to my son, so its still in the family. A couple years later, my buddy lost his grey innova starter bag and i had started using a big Lightning shoulder bag, refitted with innova backpack-type shoulder straps, so i gave him my starter bag. He's still using it after ~8 yrs! [i used that Lightening bag ~5 yrs! and liked it so much i bought another one, which was crap! I used that Lightning bag as my car back-up bag another 5+ years, and only threw it away a year ago! That first one was very well made, but the 2nd one had multiple zipper probs.]

So, I lost 80% of my bag, all the discs but one, to the water on my first round with it! I replaced those 5 with about 600 mostly innova discs since then. I dont love innova or dislike the other brands, but i just dont wanna learn all the different names for their plastics and models.

correction & addition

Corretion: I lost 60% of my first bag, but in my defense, it felt like 80%.

Related addition: I had no retrieving devices other than limbs, so I recovered none of them. I dont remember if i inked them, but i started inking them from then on!

I quickly bought a golden retriever. My first son threw my first golden retriever in a lake at Latimer Lakes in Horn Lake. I dont remember if i told him to wrap the loop around his wrist or not. My second son threw my second golden retriever in a lake at Johnson Rd [where i had lost my first bag discs]. I do remember I told him to wrap the loop around his wrist. He felt he didn't need to. I only have two sons, so I threw my 3rd golden retriever into a lake at what i call the army depot course in Mphs. I don't remember if i had the loop around my wrist or not...:\ I may never forget how about 15' of the string continued to float on the surface, out of reach, mocking me.

I probably have lost at least 20+ discs at Johnson Rd. It's brutal.

I definitely don't have my bag and discs... But I remember them somewhat fondly. I started out, for my first three months or so, with a black track and field spike bag with a Nike logo on it, and used that to carry

-Lightning Glow #2 Driver
-Discraft Z Reaper
-Discraft Z Putt'r

By the time it got from March to June I had bought a bag and a handful more discs. And then it got to July when I was carjacked and all my discs and my first actual bag were stolen out of my car. At that point I'm not even sure if I still had all three of the OGs. I played a lot of Ohio Northern University in Ada, Ohio at that point and there were several water carries that were daunting to even play around as a newb.

I had a Phantom+ and an Aviar XD that were my first discs, but I didn't like disc golf.

The first "set" of discs I don't really recall but I know when I run across one of them; I wrote my name on the back of the flight plate in HUGE letters right up where the wing attaches so that when I gripped the disc I always had my fingertips on it and always had black ink on my fingers after I played. After that first bunch of 4-5 discs I stopped doing that. I think I had an Aviar, Cobra, Stingray, Panther and Shark. I think the Panther and Cobra are still around here somewhere.

The first bag I had was a Wall City Cube. It had no internal frame and held probably 12 discs. With only the few discs in it, it wouldn't hold its shape and so it flopped over and rolled down hills easily. That was annoying so I right away bought a bunch of discs just to fill out the bag. I think those were an XD, a Deuce, a Roc, a Cyclone and a Eclipse. I know later on I got a Raven when those came out.

I had no idea what I was doing. The Stingray was my "driver" so I threw it all the time. When I got the Raven that was my "driver" so I threw it all the time. The Roc and Cyclone were just there to take up space and I never threw them. :\

First two discs were a Shark and an Aviar, purchased at In Flight in East Lansing in 1993 (along with almost all my plastic the first decade I played). Those are both long gone.

I added to this with a Viper with a custom In Flight stamp that I still have, as well as various Whippets and Cyclones (the Cyclones particularly after hearing the local club guys in CCR talk them up). At one point I had a black Cyclone with a custom stamp of an iguana on top of a disc given to me by Mark 'Lizard Lawyer' Ellis. It was a prized possession that also taught me the important lesson of how easy it is to lose a black disc.

I do still have a few of those old Cyclones, as well as a Discraft Hawk that was my main mid for a long time, and my green Rattler with a Steal your Face stamp that I bought just because of that stamp. I think my old Stratus is still kicking around in the bin as well. First bag was In Flight branded as well, lost that to a basement flood years ago though.

First two discs were a Shark and an Aviar, purchased at In Flight in East Lansing in 1993 (along with almost all my plastic the first decade I played). Those are both long gone.

I added to this with a Viper with a custom In Flight stamp that I still have, as well as various Whippets and Cyclones (the Cyclones particularly after hearing the local club guys in CCR talk them up). At one point I had a black Cyclone with a custom stamp of an iguana on top of a disc given to me by Mark 'Lizard Lawyer' Ellis. It was a prized possession that also taught me the important lesson of how easy it is to lose a black disc.

I do still have a few of those old Cyclones, as well as a Discraft Hawk that was my main mid for a long time, and my green Rattler with a Steal your Face stamp that I bought just because of that stamp. I think my old Stratus is still kicking around in the bin as well. First bag was In Flight branded as well, lost that to a basement flood years ago though.

My first bag was a cube style bag from In Flight, green one with the In Flight logo. It came with a lifetime guarantee, per the store. That bag is still in commission. Gave it to my brother in law. He does not play much, a few times a year. He does load it with four beer, a couple feezie packs and a handful of old school discs I gave him, with the bag. Still waiting for it to wear out. :hfive: