• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your PDGA 'tax' dollars at work (now hijack free)

I can't imagine expecting an organization to pay for my indulgences; it's sad to me that a ruling even needed to be made in the first place. I spend a lot of time helping our local club and when we meet over dinner to discuss club matters, we all spend our own money. Is there enough money to cover our expenses? Of course, but that doesn't make it right.

I can understand the meal comp's at these meetings for a group as large as the PDGA, but seems to me, the members who voted to continue having PDGA money pay their bar tab would see their own flawed judgement.

I can't imagine expecting an organization to pay for my indulgences; it's sad to me that a ruling even needed to be made in the first place. I spend a lot of time helping our local club and when we meet over dinner to discuss club matters, we all spend our own money. Is there enough money to cover our expenses? Of course, but that doesn't make it right.

I can understand the meal comp's at these meetings for a group as large as the PDGA, but seems to me, the members who voted to continue having PDGA money pay their bar tab would see their own flawed judgement.

Praise the heavens there is someone else that can't see supposed "common sense" in this practice! Join the Dark side UNM, we're drinking up the hater aid!

Good points. I was discussing this issue with Biscoe last night & came to the agreement that, regardless of the merits of the pick up the tab/don't pick up the tab argument (though it is quite germane), do you really want people representing the sport & acting as stewards of your $$ that are so either stupid or so arrogant (or both) as to not realize or care about (or either) the firestorm that would be created by this politically-foolish insistence that we pay their bar tabs after being called out for it by 43% of their own peers on the BoD?

I was going to point out that Lith doesn't know what exploitation is, but then I remembered this is a "fringe sport" we're talking about, and decided all involvement was worthless.

Heh, my thoughts exactly and I can't understand how everyone else said I wasn't seeing the common sense side of this.

Discpicable, please express! Why do I not know what exploitation is?

There is common sense to both sides of the argument.

To act like either side is 100% right or wrong is a fallacy because morals are grey and dependant on more factors than simply right or wrong.

That being said, I do agree that there should be a per diem arrangement and they should do with that what they see fit. But...how do we know there isn't?

Just because their position people thought it was correct to allow them to exploit these profits by the organization for their personal leisures. I don't see how this is politically or morally right. ANYONE should know that this is some form of exploitation. No matter the amount they're spending, that's not the issue. It's the simple fact of the matter.

do you really want people representing the sport & acting as stewards of your $$ that are so either stupid or so arrogant (or both) as to not realize or care about (or either) the firestorm that would be created by this politically-foolish insistence that we pay their bar tabs after being called out for it by 43% of their own peers on the BoD?

I think this says just about everything.

You can rant on about it but I challenge you to find a better word than exploitation because if you are using the economic/political sense then it is done without knowledge. Now that it is common knowledge it is no longer exploitation.

My last post on this, while it has been fun it is just a broken record:

Here is the crux of the problem in my eyes. Somewhere, someone was given the power to decide what was morally right or wrong and then expected everyone to heed these rules. They did this without asking and they did this under the guise of a "cause" or a "mission". People who agreed climbed on their backs and they forced their ideas into law.

Again, morality that does not involve law is not black and white. This is proven by yours and my argument.

You instantly point towards the fact that they are using "your" money to "get drunk"

while I contend they are using my money to have a "drink" with dinner and discuss "ideas."

Your theory points to debauchery
My theory points to innovation

Who is right? Probably neither of us but we are clearly pessimists and optimists in the matter.

My other issue, they handled the motion democratically, what would you rather have happen? Some kind of Communist coup? Should a teatotaller brigade bust through the door and shoot those who opposed the second it happened?

Right/Wrong/Indifferent they handled the matter in the most fair way.

This is exactly my viewpoint on this. On Tuesday night, our club officers, and a few select others, had a dinner meeting at a local mexican restaurant to discuss all things on the agenda for our upcoming pdga tournament. The meeting lasted over 3 hours...some people had a few drinks, others did not. No club money was spent on any food or drinks. As volunteers, we know that we are donating our time (and sometimes money) for the betterment of our local club, and the sport in the area. Yes, or club has more than enough money to pay for these things, but it would be wrong to spend the money that is supposed to be going toward improving our club/sport on things for ourselves.

I wonder what really led to this motion. Was there some inciting incident that caused Rothstein to bring this up?

Rick likes to throw a few back, so maybe he saw the tab from one of their 'summits' and thought, "Man, it isn't really appropriate for the membership to be paying for this sh!t."

The ethics of the issue are that they should probably pay for it themselves.

If it were me I would feel guilty, no joke. I also probably wouldn't have voted for it myself. But they did, and it doesn't really hurt my feelings personally. Now... if I start to see things like tons of money being spent to renovate courses nearby boardmembers hometowns....... then I'll start to be a bit more interested. In the meantime they work hard and I'll buy 'em a drink. Cheers mates!

So now the argument isn't that it's about the nature of what's going on, it's about the political correctness of the terms used? That's a great way to argue the case.

You say you challenge me to find a better word than exploitation? Why when there really is barely a better word? Nearly all the definitions of exploit don't mention that the act has to be hidden or concealed for it to be exploitation. Exploitation can be done with or without the exploited's knowledge. It's up to you to step up and take charge of whether you allow it to happen after you gain knowledge of it's existence. Either way it doesn't change the nature of what they're doing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Countchunkula
Feldberg is just pissed off that the PDGA won't pick up the tab for his libations.

I'm fairly certain that you either didn't read the OP or didn't comprehend it.

I was referencing his herbal remedies, which our membership dues do not cover.

Rick likes to throw a few back, so maybe he saw the tab from one of their 'summits' and thought, "Man, it isn't really appropriate for the membership to be paying for this sh!t."

The club shouldn't even be put in the position to pay for such things. These are leisures and pleasurable pursuits. If they choose to partake in them during meetings THAT'S PERFECTLY FINE. As stated it clearly shows with the direction some of the rulings have been going. But, they shouldn't use the clubs dues to pony up the cash when their tab comes calling. Food, shelter, I don't mind paying for that. But, not their leisures or their pleasure seeking.