• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your personal top 5 to 10 courses and how and why you rated them that way...

In no order. Currently...
Leviathan, MI
10-3 @ CB- long, CO
Justin Trails Big Brother, WI
Camden II, IL *mostly "C" positions*
Renny Gold, NC

This is a rough copy and could change tomorrow at will. These are definitely some of my top favs though regardless.

I'm going to post mine, even though I've only played 25 courses and it's pretty western PA dominant. I've got a few road trips planned in 2014 that should shake this up a bit, but for now here's where things stand, a year and a half into my disc golfing experience.

5) Flanacher Park - Unique, demanding course in Baton Rouge. Features a bunch of true par 4s in a tightly wooded environment. Some real unique looks, and a lot of risk/reward (mostly risk :p).

4) Deer Lakes - Fantastic course with some through-the-roof memorable holes (I'll never forget staring down the barrel of hole 3, in which "things got real"). I didn't love it as much as some others, but still a fantastic course.

3) Knob Hill - A western PA classic. Doesn't have the wow factor of Deer Lakes, but is all-around more consistent. There's just a magic to how this course flows and comes together that makes for a special round to me.

2) Orange Crush - This course doesn't get talked about enough. In an area loaded with options for great golf, Orange Crush stands out as a true tour de force in the woods. Easily the most challenging course I've ever played, and yet, extremely fair and enjoyable regardless. I can't rave enough about this course: it plays a very particular kind of golf due to the omnipresent woods, but does about as much as you could do within that context. Awesome, awesome, awesome. I imagine this'll always be near the top for me, as it's truly quality.

1) Moraine State Park - Simply the best course I've played, in any and all aspects. Super varied, great flow, gorgeous setting. Any time I talk about this course I feel my descriptions are inadequate.

Honorable Mention: Linbrook - Best course you've never heard of. Only 9 holes, and still rough around the edges, but boy does this have the makings of something special. At least three of the four 500'+ par 4s would be in my top 10 most memorable holes. They all are extremely challenging - 3 is almost undoubtedly the hardest hole I've ever played - and pushed my game to new places. Balancing these out are a masterful mix of densely wooded holes that cover an amazing variety for only 9. I really hope this course gets expanded to 18 in the near future and becomes better groomed. Under those conditions, it could easily become the best course in the area. And that's saying something.

- - - - -

I'm looking forward to heading to eastern PA next summer and pitting Tyler/Nockamixon/etc against the best western PA has to offer!

Last edited:
Redo
1. Hawk Hollow
2. Flyboy
3. Stoney Hill
4. WR Jackson
5. Brackett's Bluff (old layout)
6. Steady ED
7. Castle Hayne
8. New Quarter
9. Bradford
10. Glenburnie

Same number 8, yet my 2 is your 5 :popcorn: Also we've only played 2 of the same courses.

I plan on rectifying this situation next year by playing the IDGC and possibly Lincoln Ridge and Idlewild.

I plan on rectifying this situation next year by playing the IDGC and possibly Lincoln Ridge and Idlewild.

those are great courses all of them. I loved Lincoln Ridge, as a course I would want to play every day. If i lived by idlewild I feel like I would play it once a month. Great course, but its a bit to hard for a lower AM3 player.

Nevin - Built and partial design
Bailey - Designed it and built it, practice here prepping for most major tournaments I play.
Robbins - (future) Built and designed it

In no order:
Iron Hill
Orange Crush
Tobaggan in Kensington Park (would like it more if it were a maintained real course)
Gran Canyon
Moraine

I'm going to post mine, even though I've only played 25 courses and it's pretty western PA dominant. I've got a few road trips planned in 2014 that should shake this up a bit, but for now here's where things stand, a year and a half into my disc golfing experience.

5) Flanacher Park - Unique, demanding course in Baton Rouge. Features a bunch of true par 4s in a tightly wooded environment. Some real unique looks, and a lot of risk/reward (mostly risk :p).

4) Deer Lakes - Fantastic course with some through-the-roof memorable holes (I'll never forget staring down the barrel of hole 3, in which "things got real"). I didn't love it as much as some others, but still a fantastic course.

3) Knob Hill - A western PA classic. Doesn't have the wow factor of Deer Lakes, but is all-around more consistent. There's just a magic to how this course flows and comes together that makes for a special round to me.

2) Orange Crush - This course doesn't get talked about enough. In an area loaded with options for great golf, Orange Crush stands out as a true tour de force in the woods. Easily the most challenging course I've ever played, and yet, extremely fair and enjoyable regardless. I can't rave enough about this course: it plays a very particular kind of golf due to the omnipresent woods, but does about as much as you could do within that context. Awesome, awesome, awesome. I imagine this'll always be near the top for me, as it's truly quality.

1) Moraine State Park - Simply the best course I've played, in any and all aspects. Super varied, great flow, gorgeous setting. Any time I talk about this course I feel my descriptions are inadequate.

Honorable Mention: Linbrook - Best course you've never heard of. Only 9 holes, and still rough around the edges, but boy does this have the makings of something special. At least three of the four 500'+ par 4s would be in my top 10 most memorable holes. They all are extremely challenging - 3 is almost undoubtedly the hardest hole I've ever played - and pushed my game to new places. Balancing these out are a masterful mix of densely wooded holes that cover an amazing variety for only 9. I really hope this course gets expanded to 18 in the near future and becomes better groomed. Under those conditions, it could easily become the best course in the area. And that's saying something.

- - - - -

I'm looking forward to heading to eastern PA next summer and pitting Tyler/Nockamixon/etc against the best western PA has to offer!

Agree, i'd take orange crush over Idlewild always. then you have a second course on the property!

Out of the 58 courses I've played (not many in the national top 20):

1. Black Jack @ Bear Tree Cabin - Sugar Grove, NC
Elevation, variety, scenery, memorable hole after memorable hole, everything I could ever ask for in a DG course. Every time you step on the teepad on any hole, you just want to stand there and take a moment to soak it all in before you even let a disc fly.. It's that awesome!

2. Gran Canyon - Brooksville, FL
elevation, variety, the coolest property for a DG course I've ever played on, especially for FL. Everywhere you turn, you just want to throw your disc.. wouldn't matter where the basket is.. there are so many cliff ledges and hills to throw bombs off and tough twists and turns through the trees.. Too much DG fun to be had here, shame its not permanent anymore.

3. Ashe County Park - Jefferson, NC
One of the best maintained park course I've seen.. again, lots of elevation, variety in hole types & length, used lots of discs and needed lots of different shots to score well.

Top 3 courses above are definitely a notch above the rest of these, but this would be my remaining top courses.. the order is arguable:

4. Richmond Hill - Asheville, NC
Rustic, natural, undoubtedly scenic NC mountain golf at its finest. Very challenging, well kept up.. can't wait to make it back someday to see how much my game has improved since I was last there. That course ate me alive when I was 900-rated - now 931 rated, playing more like 945. Richmond Hill is a definite skill tester.. and fun too!

5. North Georgia Canopy Tours - Lula, GA
Tranquil and serene. Gorgeous property. Good variety in length and lines to the basket. Some use of elevation and great mix of open/tight fairways maybe a bit more on the open side. All around fun course.

6. Bill Frederick Park @ Turkey Lake - T2 - Orlando, FL
Where my DG experience all began... such a great challenging course that requires all shot types.. Scenic, technical, clean and well kept.. Water hazards, shule, doglegs, long open shots, tight curved shots.. One of my favorite courses in FL.

7. Magnolia DGC - Live Oak, FL
A great technical treat of a course nestled in the fun campground and music park along the Suwannee River.. although the course doesn't play near the river, the scenery is gorgeous.. Massive shaded oak canopy throughout with great shaped fairways.. well kept up. Need big arm WITH accuracy, not just one or the other. A great challenge but not too frustrating to hurt the fun factor which is very high. Love this place (playing in the Suwannee Open this weekend, can't wait!!)

8. NAD Park - Bremerton, WA
A really neat chunk of classic northwestern forestry with a fun course running throughout.. Very technical and challenging.. amazing scenery and use of the land.. mild elevation here and there, play in the shade the entire time. It was a real treat to play here and definitely among the more memorable of the 8 courses I played while in Washington a couple summers ago.

9. JP Moseley DGC - Stockbridge, GA
A big arm dream course.. Nice big property for the course that offers lots of big bomb shots that still need a touch of finesse to setup your approach shots just right on most of the holes. Well maintained and just plain all around big arm fun. Had a blast here.. among my favorites on my GA trip a couple years ago.

10. River City Nature Park - DeBary, FL
Home sweet, home. Soooo much work has gone into this course since it was the little 9 hole practice course I used to stop by on my lunch breaks a few years ago. Now our club has pulled together and turned this into a well maintained 18-hole FL gem. 3 - 11 pin placements on EVERY hole (we move 6 - 10 baskets about every 6 weeks to keep fresh variety and replay quality high).. 2 really nice concrete pads on every hole.. great variety in shots required.. a bit on the flat side, but the scenery along the St. John's River with the always active bald eagle nests on holes 3/4 is among the nicest in all central FL. Just a great, fun course for all skill levels. It's quite obvious by how busy this course gets, that its a favorite of many locals these days. A worthy stop for anyone travelling through central FL / Orlando / Daytona area.

TTT such a good thread I don't want to see this die.

It's nice to see 2 courses that I helped design on the list. Out of two that I've had the chance to help work on.

Anyone hiring a course designer??

Flip City
Whistlers Bend
Deer Lakes
Lincoln Ridge
and in a surprise move....
Thompson Park in East Liverpool Ohio
Loved that course

Since last time I posted I dint have a proper ten. and I couldnt edit, i'm going to do a redo

1. Stoney Hill, SC 4.7
2. Porcupine Ridge, ME 4.5
3. Wickham Park, CT 4.5
4. Rock Ridge Park, NC 4.5
5. T2, FL 4.3
6. Richmond Hill, NC 4.2
7. Rockness Monster, NC 4.2
8. Borderland, MA 4.2
9. Bracketts Bluff, NC 4.2
10. Renaissance, NC 4.1

i can't remember if i already posted here.

in this order. i think...

Ozark Mtn/Akita's Run/Spencer-Davis in Vichy, MO
Selah Lakeside/Creekside in Talco, TX
Trophy Lakes in Charleston, SC
Chautauqua Park in Crystal Springs, MS
Parma DGC in Parma, NY
Emporia Country Club in Emporia, KS
Flat Rock Park in Columbus, GA

This is really difficult. I often don't rate the better courses I play partially because they already have tons of reviews and partially because my OCD makes it tough to decide on a rating. So, in no particular order:

Seth Burton/Orange Crush - Fairmont, WV

Rotary Park (learned here) - Huntington, WV

Wood County Veterans - Parkersburg, WV

Woodshed/Whipping Post - Paw Paw, WV

Deer Lakes Park - Tarentum, PA

Thompson Park - East Liverpool, OH

Oak Ledges - Massillon, OH

Forked Run - Reedsville, OH

Arboretum - Canton, OH

Hornet's Nest - Charlotte, NC

Bradford Park - Huntersville, NC

Idlewild - Burlington, KY

Last edited:
Redo
1. Hawk Hollow
2. Flyboy
3. Stoney Hill
4. WR Jackson
5. Brackett's Bluff (old layout)
6. Steady ED
7. Castle Hayne
8. New Quarter
9. Bradford
10. Glenburnie

Update out of 178 played

1. Hawk Hollow
2. Flyboy
3. Black Jack/bear tree cabin
4. "Old" Brackett's R.I.P.
5. WR Jackson
6. Stoney Hill
7. Steady Ed
8. Castle Hayne
9. Sugaree
10. SunnySide

That is really solid bravethrower. I haven't had the pleasure of Stoney Hill yet so I'd probably sub Maple Hill for that one. It pains my little brain too much to do my own list, but I'd have to find a place for Holler in the Hills also. It was a really cool place. If you gave me a top 20 or so I might be able to narrow it down.

That is really solid bravethrower. I haven't had the pleasure of Stoney Hill yet so I'd probably sub Maple Hill for that one. It pains my little brain too much to do my own list, but I'd have to find a place for Holler in the Hills also. It was a really cool place. If you gave me a top 20 or so I might be able to narrow it down.

Yea it's really hard to choose when there are so many great courses. I hope I get the pleasure of playing a few of those one day. My list may change as well since I'm doing a large road trip to the Deleware/Penn area soon.

1-4 are top tier courses where I said 'Wow" several times throughout the course while looking at the view, was impressed by the design and thought that went into each hole, and had a lot of fun playing.

5-10 are great Layouts that I like for different reasons and are in no particular order.

The thing about my list is that the top 4 for me are elite and then the rest are pretty much interchangeable. They all have things that I enjoyed in different ways. On that second tier I probably had the most fun at Stoney Hill and Steady Ed, but think that WR Jackson and Castle Hayne are the best thought out technical courses and Sugree was a beat down and most unique.

A few just outside my list that are very nice as well and I feel sad leaving them off.