• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your personal top 5 to 10 courses and how and why you rated them that way...

I have only played courses that are around Columbia, SC and Charlotte, NC, so I do not have a great list. Any recommendations for me would be great!

1. Renaissance
2. Eastway
3. R.L. Smith
4. Winthrop
5. Hornets Nest
6. Bradley Center
7. Plantation Ruins
8. Reedy Creek
9. Scrapyard
10. Nevin

I take it these courses are listed at random? Eastway at 2; over Hornets Nest (#5) and Nevin (#10)? What about the Columbia area courses (Stoney Hill, Earlewood) or others in between (All-Terrain)?

1) Stafford Lake. Extreme elevations, breathtaking scenery, wildlife everywhere. If you have never been, add it to your wish list and get out there!

2) Coyote Point. Extreme elevations & breathtaking scenery around Lake Casitas. My solo round here included about 1 hour devoted to taking pictures.

3) DeLaveaga. If you are reading this thread and still don't know about DeLaveaga, I feel sorry for you. :|

4) Sloterpark. Disc golf in Amsterdam...'nuff said. :D

5) Water Works Park. Hills anyone? Be prepared for a workout here. Lots of wooded holes...also lots of fun here assuming you are ready to climb.

6) West Lake Park. Great variety between wooded and open holes. Water comes into play on several holes here.

I was going to do 7--10 but it just feels like torture while I am stuck here in the office! :\

After 2 years and adding a bunch of new courses to the list, it's time to update my top 10, so here goes....

1) Stafford Lake...still in the top spot on my list. :thmbup:

2) Brian Head Resort DGC, Brian Head, UT. Although the teepads were less than desirable, I loved everything else about this course, especially teeing off on Hole #1 at nearly 11,000 feet.

3) Beaver Ranch, Conifer, CO. This course lived up to the hype. There were no "filler" holes...it's worth every penny and then some.

4) Squaw Creek Gold/Fairfield White at Fairfield Park, Round Lake, IL. 2 great courses on 1 piece of property. This was recently redesigned (by Chuck Kennedy) and the park reopened in May, 2014. Excellent mix of open and wooded holes with multiple par 4's and 5's. Concrete teepads have been installed. Gold is very challenging...looking forward to seeing the scores/ratings at the first tourney this weekend. (I am biased here because it is my home course.)

5) Coyote Point. Lake Casitas, CA.

6) DeLaveaga. Santa Cruz, CA.

7) Las Vegas Ski & Snowboard Resort DGC. Mount Charleston, NV. Hole #1 starts at 9,300'. For a seasonal course, the designers did an excellent job here. Great mix of downhill bombs and everything else you could ask for on a mountain course.

8) Sloterpark. Disc Golf in Amsterdam. :thmbup:

9) Water Works Park. Kansas City, MO.

10) Ghost Town DGC. Russel Gulch, CO. I didn't see any ghosts, but I did see and play an excellent course. I would love to play a glow round here.

Honorable Mention (in no particular order)
West Lake Park, Davenport, IA
Golden Gate Park DGC, San Francisco, CA
Bailey DGC, Bailey, CO
McNaughton Park, Pekin, IL
Blue Ribbon Pines, East Bethel, MN
Bryant Lake Park, Eden Prairie, MN
Dretzka Park - Winter, Milwaukee, WI
Brown Deer DGC, Milwaukee, WI

black jack is playable?

A friend of mine played it, and posted pictures of it, in the last week or two. (Along with Harmon Hills and Ashe County on the same trip!)

I don't know the story beyond that.

A friend of mine played it, and posted pictures of it, in the last week or two. (Along with Harmon Hills and Ashe County on the same trip!)

I don't know the story beyond that.

You have to set up a tee time. There is a pdga there later on this month.

Fuel up the vehicle and hit the road!

Well, obviously you're starting with excellent courses in the Charlotte area. But the area in the mountains around Boone, NC oughtta be your first field trip. Ashe County, Blackjack, and whatever else you find up there.

Upstate S.C. (Greenville/Spartanburg) has a cluster of nice courses, perhaps not for your Top-10 list but an easy day trip away.

If you're traveling between Charlotte & Columbia regularly, take a backroads detour and visit us at Stoney Hill. Preferably, when it's not summer. It might make your list.
My roommate and I will definitely come by Stoney Hill at some point in the upcoming semester. We've already had it planned.
:thmbup:
Thank you for the suggestions!

My roommate and I will definitely come by Stoney Hill at some point in the upcoming semester. We've already had it planned.
:thmbup:
Thank you for the suggestions!

Grand Central Station, located in Central, will easily crack the list you had. That's one of my favorites out of 150+ played courses.

Timmons should as well. And, obviously, Stoney Hill should top your list once you've played it.

Grand Central Station, located in Central, will easily crack the list you had. That's one of my favorites out of 150+ played courses.

Timmons should as well. And, obviously, Stoney Hill should top your list once you've played it.

Central is fantastic. That, Stoney Hill, and Trophy Lakes are the top 3 in SC in some order (though I haven't played Chester yet). Shoally Creek / Va-Du-Mar / McMillan in Boiling Springs is criminally underrated, IMO. Very good course.

I have only played courses that are around Columbia, SC and Charlotte, NC, so I do not have a great list. Any recommendations for me would be great!

1. Renaissance
2. Eastway
3. R.L. Smith
4. Winthrop
5. Hornets Nest
6. Bradley Center
7. Plantation Ruins
8. Reedy Creek
9. Scrapyard
10. Nevin

My favorite thing about this list is that one of the courses on it is one I helped design. Thanks for the mention of Bradley, I'm honestly surprised (in a good way) to see it mentioned. I'm sure though, that as you play more courses your list will change.

This list will undoubtedly be changing after hitting Flip/Mason County later this month.

1. Rollin' Ridge
2. Borderland State Park
3. Winter Park
4. Highbridge Granite
5. Highbridge Blueberry
6. O'Hauser Park
7. Sandy Point
8. Brown Deer
9. Silver Creek
10. Standing Rock

Highbridge Gold is an incomplete, as I only got to play about half of it before being scared off by a bear.

I don't think it will change much after hitting up the Flip and Mason County courses

Harmon,tn
Ozark, mo
West lake, ia
Big brother, wisc
Lodge moccasin, ok
Sugaree, nc
Flyboy, ga
Black jack, nc
Holler, ky
Idle wild, ky
Foundation, il

Gotta update after paw paw and some soul searching

1. Ozark
2. Whippin post
3. Harmon
4. West lake
5. Big bro
6. Lodge moccasin
7. Sugaree
8. Black jack
9. Flyboy
10. Idlewild

Hm no order

Holler
Foundation
Shawshank
Stoney
Idgc (steady and Jackson)
Logan university
Ashe co.

Too many goodies

Gotta update after paw paw and some soul searching

1. Ozark
2. Whippin post
3. Harmon
4. West lake
5. Big bro
6. Lodge moccasin
7. Sugaree
8. Black jack
9. Flyboy
10. Idlewild
So just because you had to hide in a cave while a tornado moved through instead of playing, Harmon gets dropped 2 spots ?

So just because you had to hide in a cave while a tornado moved through instead of playing, Harmon gets dropped 2 spots ?

Ha! The wind can't knock off the tee signs across the road cause there are none, it didn't even clear some of the trees so you could see the first tee across the road...how are people supposed to know there is another nine across the road without an act of god? stupid wind. Harmon still gets my top favorite rating but the golf is just a bit better at whippin post and ozark is ozark. If anything the spelunking with mead in hand solidified the favorite spot HH holds for me.

I haven't played that many but I think they have been of good quality, I'll just do 5;

1) Rollin Ridge, awesome course it's top 5 in the nation. I'm going to Flip City in two weeks so we shall see if it stays at #1.
2) Tobbogan, that is amazing. Real workout too.
3) McCurrey Park, just a very nice well laid out park. Diverse shots and a some cool mandos and elevation.
4) Oregon Park, my home course and a nicely laid out park.
5) draw between Kensington Black Locust and Brickyard.

slight changeup after ~10 rounds of play at Little Mulberry and realizing I left off Jim Warner for some reason:

1) Flyboy/Flyboy Viper
2) Brackett's Bluff (old)
3) Stoney Hill
4) Steady Ed
5) WR Jackson
6) Jim Warner
7) Little Mulberry
8) McCurry (homer pic :p)
9) NGCT
10) Parc du Bourdon

Just tried to narrow to a top ten. Seriously can't do it.

Came up with 19 courses I consider top 10.

Too many nuances. I appreciate courses for different reasons.

Some for pure challenge. Some for fun. Some for balance. Some for beauty.

Like ol' Ben Franklin said of beer...All disc courses are good, just some are better than others.

Just tried to narrow to a top ten. Seriously can't do it.

Came up with 19 courses I consider top 10.

Too many nuances. I appreciate courses for different reasons.

Some for pure challenge. Some for fun. Some for balance. Some for beauty.

Like ol' Ben Franklin said of beer...All disc courses are good, just some are better than others.

What are the top contenders?

Latest posts