• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Your thoughts on the Innova Gator?

Gator?

• Yay!

Votes: 244 59.2%
  • Nay!

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • Never tried it.

Votes: 132 32.0%

• Total voters
So will the flat top Metal Flake Champion butt much less hyzer. The Metal Flake Champion just have a super hook at the very end of flight Unlike the big Hyzer of the flat top Glow Gators I have seen both thrown in person. Those Metal Flake just have less glide then the numbers more then anything. The MF Champion Gator wants to dive to ground due to lack of glide that is then 1 or even a 0.5 in glide, least glide from a Gator ever. Most flat top Gators are this way with lack of glide being a 1 and a person can't get more then a specific max distance from those discs due to said lack of glide. However most other plastics with flat top to the Gator are not as heavy on the end flight hook or have hyzer the way some of the Champion plastic Gators are that have a flat top.

Of Course my experience seeing the glow Gator was the old model that he got the slight concave version. The Champion Glow Gator then hyzerd out like it was a Drone that had a 1 to 0.5 in the glide more then anything so the mold was still usable.

I have been looking to switch away from A2s as they are too domey for my forehand. Tried Mortars, Not OS enough. Based solely on the hand feel of an old DX bar stamp gator, I habe ordered 2 flat top processed luster gators and 2 of the factory glow gators. Cant wait for them to arrive!

I'm still loving my factory glow. It's just absurdly overstable, you can torque it over all you want and it will flex back. So consistent for approaches and get out of jail shots.

I do need to pair it with something a little less crazy overstable, especially since it's so distance limited. For me it's either a Caiman or a base plastic Zone (Jawbreaker or Soft X).

Got my factory glows and luster flat top Gators today. The factory glows are $$$ and fly like I wanted mt Mortars to. One luster is FT and flies like the glows but the other.... Is exceptionally domey. I ordered the flat top lusters from Disc Golf Values. They were described as "flat top processed" which the domey one obviously is not. I emailed asking if I could swap for a flat one. Am I being unreasonable? And has anyone had a similar issue with Disc Golf Values before? And of so how did they handle it? Thanks!

P.S. god damn I love these glow gators!

I ordered the flat top lusters from Disc Golf Values. They were described as "flat top processed" which the domey one obviously is not. I emailed asking if I could swap for a flat one. Am I being unreasonable? And has anyone had a similar issue with Disc Golf Values before? And of so how did they handle it? Thanks!

I've never had an issue with him/them before. I have a few glow Gators labeled as "flat topped" and they are a bit domey. From DGV and other retailers...

I did have good luck with the F2s from the Factory Store marked as flat.

The new Factory Store Glow Gators are growing on me. Super OS!

I've never had an issue with him/them before. I have a few glow Gators labeled as "flat topped" and they are a bit domey. From DGV and other retailers...

I did have good luck with the F2s from the Factory Store marked as flat.

The new Factory Store Glow Gators are growing on me. Super OS!

DGV got back to me today and we've come to a good solution. Really glad, because they have tons of cool stuff and I want to buy a lot more there.

I took my factory store gator out for it's 2nd round today and boy do I love this thing. Good reliability and controllable skips.

Ill look into the f2 glow gators for back ups

Am I being unreasonable? And has anyone had a similar issue with Disc Golf Values before? And of so how did they handle it? Thanks!

You are not being unreasonable. I once saw some "Flat Top" Gators in a store for sale and at first thought they were just mislabeled. Nope, just discs that were not at all what they claimed to be. I would definitely contact them and ask for an exchange for an actual flat one or a refund. When you buy something labeled as blue that you receive and it is orange, you have every right to get a full refund or exchange it for something else. And if they won't do that then they have terrible customer service and you should make sure others are aware of the fact so they don't also buy from the same place. But I would guess they will make it right. Most people have pride in their business and reputation and are willing to make it right.

DGV got back to me today and we've come to a good solution. Really glad, because they have tons of cool stuff and I want to buy a lot more there.

I took my factory store gator out for it's 2nd round today and boy do I love this thing. Good reliability and controllable skips.

Ill look into the f2 glow gators for back ups

Well so much for my unnecessary previous post. Glad to hear they worked it out with you. Also, consider flattening yourself any F2 Glows you buy if they are domey, because there is a chance they will come like that as F2s. I have done that with a couple of Rhynos, and although it probably won't change the stability to be as overstable as the FT processed ones, the feel will definitely be better than domey.

The F2s aren't the same nose configuration as the "Factory Store" Glow Gators. I figured I'd add that just in case... you likely knew that already, though...

The F2s aren't the same nose configuration as the "Factory Store" Glow Gators. I figured I'd add that just in case... you likely knew that already, though...

It has more the slightly square style nose from the pictures as seen on some of the modern non flat top Gator or not Gator 3. This is understandable as sometime in late 2000's the Gator had two nose styles one being the older nose and other being the new nose, just slightly squared off compared to old nose style.

Has anyone tried any of the recent KC Pro Gators? Super domey like the previous runs?

Right now carrying the factory store Glow Gator for primary super overstable approach duties and a Jawbreaker Zone when I really need it to hit & stick.

But I always prefer to stick to one mold if possible. KC Pro Gator might be a good bet if I can find a reasonably flat one.

Anyone else putt with these discs in a windy condition? I last went out using a champ gator I got in a players pack which felt awesome, putted great with.

I didnt expect it to sit as great as it did if I happened to miss a basket.

Why do I love throwing mid range discs for putters I will never know, but they get me......and I get them. Haha

Anyone else putt with these discs in a windy condition? I last went out using a champ gator I got in a players pack which felt awesome, putted great with.

I didnt expect it to sit as great as it did if I happened to miss a basket.

Why do I love throwing mid range discs for putters I will never know, but they get me......and I get them. Haha

Brother and I started playing in mid 2004.
My brother did the same for years and from 2005 on beat in a FAF DX Gator to fly straight as his main putter with a longer approach and windy day non beat in standard DX Gator as his other. He used these disc because he needed a putter that would work for his slam putting style, he had used a Classic Aviar and a Magnet before finding that the DX Gator was what he needed. This was until I got the putter closest to a Gator the Stud in DX back in 2017 for Christmas as he was needing a new putter and wanted the same thing as a Gator but slower in the putter category, speed 3 or slower. The Stud is better as my brother can use that disc right from the shelf as his putting putter, only needing the slight break in to catch better. My brother still has a near flat top MF Gator and a small dome G-Star Gator (I got him both, one for Christmas one for Birthday) for longer approach shots and driving putter needs as well as the G-Star for very windy days, he does not like the Stud for driving putter slot for reasons I forget.

Last edited:
The thing for me is I like a rim that is thicker and the depth to be smaller. The bullfrog feels awesome but it is a rolling machine. This is why I stick to the only DD plastic I own except for Escapes......Suspect and Justice.

The thing for me is I like a rim that is thicker and the depth to be smaller. The bullfrog feels awesome but it is a rolling machine. This is why I stick to the only DD plastic I own except for Escapes......Suspect and Justice.

The Colt in G-Star might be worth a try as is the plastic is more flex to it but that might be then a bounce machine. They to sell in the Innova Disc Golf Pro Shop a G-Star Gator, with the low glide of the Gator mold the combo might work for a putter/approach disc. I am having a hard time finding a low profile putter in other non bouncy, wait! the APX and Focus both lower profile versions of the Wizard/Magic in Jawbreaker and soft X.

The Colt in G-Star might be worth a try as is the plastic is more flex to it but that might be then a bounce machine.

GStar is actually known for the opposite. The plastic absorbs the hit and doesn't spring back to launch itself like Champion or Star would. Think of it like trying to bounce a water balloon and a ping pong ball. The water balloon will absorb the impact whereas the ping pong ball will transfer the energy back and spring off.

GStar is actually known for the opposite. The plastic absorbs the hit and doesn't spring back to launch itself like Champion or Star would. Think of it like trying to bounce a water balloon and a ping pong ball. The water balloon will absorb the impact whereas the ping pong ball will transfer the energy back and spring off.

I have seen G-Star putters bounce but that was more like a single bounce and then a flop right after the initial bounce. G-Star does bonce more then say DX but still not as much as Star or some in XT, XT or old DX can bounce bad due to how stiff the plastic is. I have seen this when my brother would on the rare occasion miss and hit the basket with his Stiff DX FAF Gator that was used as a putter, almost like the Stiff plastic would deflect off the hit object and go in another direction 90 degrees.

I have seen G-Star putters bounce but that was more like a single bounce and then a flop right after the initial bounce. G-Star does bonce more then say DX but still not as much as Star or some in XT, XT or old DX can bounce bad due to how stiff the plastic is. I have seen this when my brother would on the rare occasion miss and hit the basket with his Stiff DX FAF Gator that was used as a putter, almost like the Stiff plastic would deflect off the hit object and go in another direction 90 degrees.

Well, then what plastic doesn't bounce? Each type of plastic has their own pros and cons. For example, stiff plastics roll. As a GStar thrower, I've personally never experienced any excessive "bounce." My fiancee throws a GStar Colt and I've never seen it bounce any more or any less than any other plastic.

But the point was Innova markets GStar as not being prone to bouncing. My experience is consistent with what the video shows. https://youtu.be/_IOhzpoai2k?t=110

Well, then what plastic doesn't bounce? Each type of plastic has their own pros and cons. For example, stiff plastics roll. As a GStar thrower, I've personally never experienced any excessive "bounce." My fiancee throws a GStar Colt and I've never seen it bounce any more or any less than any other plastic.

But the point was Innova markets GStar as not being prone to bouncing. My experience is consistent with what the video shows. https://youtu.be/_IOhzpoai2k?t=110

I have seen the Special Steady Ed Putter plastic not bounce ever nor does R-Pro if floppy enough, stiff R-Pro will bounce bad. I have seen modern Pro D and DX have the least bounce of stiff plastics if it is the softer versions.

Nice I agree that G-Star does the one bounce and flop often up a tad from the height of the disc at about 6 inches then right down to the ground. It does the one bounce and flop so that is good.

Worst bounce is Z/Champion as that recoils bad, reason my Champion Valkyrie can get good forward ground skips.

Latest posts