• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Youth league

Buchajs1

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Ok so i am 13 years old, we ran a ctp contest yesterday and raised $265 dollars and there will definitely be more donations. I expect to have about $400 by the spring and would like to know what prizes would be best for juniors, i am thinking lighter weight slow starter pack-ish discs and maybe some of the starlite discs as well as some of the blizzard and lat. 64 beginner discs. For those of you who have experience with running youth leagues and junior tournaments, how long should the average hole be and how long will it take them to play a round of 9-18. The league will have ages sixteen and under.

I think you should set the course up like an ace race setup where all of the holes are between 100 -200 ft so that they can have some success and stay interested in the sport. It may also be beneficial to have one of the pros in your area or club put on a clinic beforehand just to teach the basics and fundamentals of the game. It's nice that we have young people growing the sport and kudos to you for stepping up and introducing disc golf to a new audience....:clap:

I was thinking about this, i know a couple 1000 rated pros in the area that would be willing to help out. I have holes marked out where the total distance would be 1 1758ft for nine holes. Thanks for chiming in. Any ideas of what companies would donate or have the best deals for sponsorship?

I am on student council and trying to improve our middle school dg course, and maybe start a league for after school. Any recommendations for course improvement?

I am on student council and trying to improve our middle school dg course, and maybe start a league for after school. Any recommendations for course improvement?

Is your school working with the EDGE program? Def. check into this at a student council meeting for support from your teachers and other staff.

http://www.edgediscgolf.org/

Making DG an integral part of the PE program as well as an extra curricular activity will be one of the only ways you will be able to have any major course improvements.

Dont make the course longer than 250ft per hole, if anything just add more variety and possible alt tees for people looking for more challenge

What has the cheapest wholesale prices? How can i get the best out of my money? Would certain companies be willing to donate

i would look to dynamic discs. they have great customer service and a desire to grow the sport. i think they would love to be a part of a 16 and under league

Are you contemplating a league for players 16 and under, in one division, or multiple divisions (under 8, under 10, under 13, etc.)?

Multiple divisions, 13-16, 10-13, and 10and under

Excellent. But that brings in a range of answers.

I've been to and assisted with several youth tournaments that had all these divisions; I was there with the younger kids (ages 5-7). They combined disc golf with field events, like a simple putting contest, and distance, so more people get to win something. Ribbons for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd in each category are popular with the young ones, but won't be with the teenagers.

The older boys can throw max weight discs, but the everyone else will want lightweight stuff.

The president of the board is a good friend of mine, i talked to him, and came up with ideas and i started to raise money

Use landscaping flags to create temporary tees for the younger kids.

As I mentioned, I mostly helped out with 6-8 year olds at acouple of tournaments, where a good hole might be 50-100'. If you've got an under-10 division, you might want some 80-200' holes.

Gateway would be worth checking out as well. I don't know how beginner friendly they are but they do offer awesome deals on bulk orders.

Any prize ideas? What customized paraphanalia would work best