• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Zero Masks, Zero Social Distancing...

Do you really not see the hole in your logic? Honestly asking. Just wanna know if you are trolling or actually this dumb.

VIRUSES DO NOT FLOAT AROUND BY THEMSELVES! THEY ARE IN WATER DROPLETS!

Are you telling me that we aren't just swimming in airborne RNA strands? Shocking!

Having traveled widely throughout the eastern US since this virus arrived, I find the tone of this thread amusing. Weekly leagues are being held all over the country with no precautions taken whatsoever. Government guidelines and mandates are being completely ignored by the majority.

Driving through Kentucky a few weeks ago I heard some official, perhaps the governor, thanking Kentuckians for their cooperation and sacrifice. Meanwhile the stores (all posted with signs requiring masks) were packed with maskless customers. Employees with masks do not wear them properly the majority of the time.

My point is that, whether or not they might theoretically be effective, these "health initiatives" often only serve as political tools. To pretend that disc golfers are any more or less educated, caring, responsible, stubborn, selfish or enlightened than the population is silly. To be shocked by their actions is to be ignorant of the actions of the real world population.

I'll just say that I have doubts that a person is running around all conscientious about his mask wearing while not giving a bat's ball whether others are doing so.

Maybe it's plausible in some corner case with a person whose Ayn Rand collection is lined up on several bookshelves and sorted by weight and stability...

Meh, Atlas-shrug

People actually follow them and buy their stuff?
~18k followers on instagram, and a decent selection of crap in their online store, much of it with Paul's name on it. I don't think I've ever seen any of it in the wild, but I'm sure they do well.

My point is that, whether or not they might theoretically be effective, these "health initiatives" often only serve as political tools.

This is really only true in 'Murica and a couple of other places. Because by and large, our populous is just...really dumb. That's not an insult, just truth. And now bc of covid, that's finally catching up with us.

In the rest of the world, far higher percentages of people follow health initiatives. Because they are HEALTH INITIATIVES, not political games.

We have zero, ZERO sense of togetherness here.

I'll just say that I have doubts that a person is running around all conscientious about his mask wearing while not giving a bat's ball whether others are doing so.

Maybe it's plausible in some corner case with a person whose Ayn Rand collection is lined up on several bookshelves and sorted by weight and stability...

Meh, Atlas-shrug

I agree with you that it's unlikely (though I don't know how Ayn Rand is connected since I've managed to dodge that waste of time so far). However I believe that such a person should exist, even if they don't. Conscience is a personal thing, and shouldn't depend on anyone else for its satisfaction or justification.

I don't know if your comment was directed at myself, but to be sure that I'm not dishonestly claiming any act, I am not such a person. I haven't yet worn a mask.

This is really only true in 'Murica and a couple of other places. Because by and large, our populous is just...really dumb. That's not an insult, just truth. And now bc of covid, that's finally catching up with us.

In the rest of the world, far higher percentages of people follow health initiatives. Because they are HEALTH INITIATIVES, not political games.

Finally catching up with us? Boy.

The consequences of this national idiocy in connection with this virus are utterly inconsequential in comparison with others, generations old, that you are apparently blind to. Your right about the togetherness though.

Finally catching up with us? Boy.

The consequences of this national idiocy in connection with this virus are utterly inconsequential in comparison with others, generations old, that you are apparently blind to. Your right about the togetherness though.

Semantics. It's now catching up with us in an highly visible, obvious way, playing out on TVs all over the globe, directly causing a huge loss of confidence/respect from other nations. Obviously, it's been hurting us for much longer. Better now?

Not where I live in TN. People are masked up. People without masks stick out like sore thumbs.

Chattanooga to Knoxville to Mt. Vernon KY on Saturday-Monday. In the downtowns probably 60% wore masks, and 90% of employees. Outside of big city centers that dropped to 10% and 60%. Rough estimates.

This right here.

It sucks because if everyone acted responsibly and selflessly by wearing masks and practicing social distancing, then more of us would feel comfortable going out in public.

Semantics. It's now catching up with us in an highly visible, obvious way, playing out on TVs all over the globe, directly causing a huge loss of confidence/respect from other nations. Obviously, it's been hurting us for much longer. Better now?

Worse. Loss of global respect and confidence? That only hurts if you're a nationalist.

I agree with you that it's unlikely (though I don't know how Ayn Rand is connected since I've managed to dodge that waste of time so far). However I believe that such a person should exist, even if they don't. Conscience is a personal thing, and shouldn't depend on anyone else for its satisfaction or justification.

I don't know if your comment was directed at myself, but to be sure that I'm not dishonestly claiming any act, I am not such a person. I haven't yet worn a mask.

I was talking about the Dingus guy.

I do think we should all share the responsibility of lowering transmission rates, and the only way to do that is for everyone to wear masks. People who get the benefit of others wearing masks in public are moral free-riders. The only people we want free-riding on our collective mask habits are people who genuinely can't wear one without serious discomfort or health problems.

I do think we should all share the responsibility of lowering transmission rates, and the only way to do that is for everyone to wear masks. People who get the benefit of others wearing masks in public are moral free-riders. The only people we want free-riding on our collective mask habits are people who genuinely can't wear one without serious discomfort or health problems.

I won't say what my own position is, because I haven't got the energy to do so justly within this frenzy. But it is important to know that it is impossible to assume anything about a person's intelligence, moral character, concern for others, or concern for their own health, simply by observing their mask habits.

Worse. Loss of global respect and confidence? That only hurts if you're a nationalist.

Well shoot, guess I'm a nationalist now! :|

I won't say what my own position is, because I haven't got the energy to do so justly within this frenzy. But it is important to know that it is impossible to assume anything about a person's intelligence, moral character, concern for others, or concern for their own health, simply by observing their mask habits.

Wrong. If you are going to a store without a mask right now, you don't give a crap about anyone else. That's a fact.

Also, one can assume anything one wants. You, master of semantics, should have picked a gooder word.

What about me? You don't think it is possible to wear a mask and not moralize to others about wearing masks?

I understand your moral freeloading point, but that happens in every corner of society. I round up for charity, I put money in the collection plate, I buy the school fundraiser crap, I volunteer for local charities, I pick up trash on the DG course, I return my shopping cart... I don't go around policing these behaviors in others. My mom always told me to be the person you wanted to see in society. So I do that. I can't imagine how exhausting it is to worry about more than one person, expanding your worry from just yourself to a family is bad enough, I couldn't take on an entire society. As my pastor would say, I just mow my lawn, I don't worry about my neighbor's.

The consequences of this national idiocy in connection with this virus are utterly inconsequential in comparison with others, generations old, that you are apparently blind to.

Only if you consider 150,000+ people dying a miserable, lonely death "utterly inconsequential". Not to mention the larger number of people who are likely to live with some degree of impairment from COVID-19.

Does the U.S. have other big problems? Absolutely. Does that justify ignoring a pandemic for selfish reasons? Nope.

Sometimes it makes sense to focus on the most urgent problem before moving on to remedy other problems.

Iwill now only play early morning rounds by myself and even then, when I run into people I stay away from them but being a known good player in the area people always want to talk and chat me up so its hard to keep others away.

The advantage of being an 850'ish player: no one wants to follow me around the course like a lost puppy.
:D

But it is important to know that it is impossible to assume anything about a person's intelligence, moral character, concern for others, or concern for their own health, simply by observing their mask habits.

I don't think this is true. To me, wearing a mask is like abstaining from cursing. I know that those around me will be very uncomfortable if I curse and scream in public, so I don't do it. I know that not wearing a mask will make others feel uncomfortable so I wear the mask.

Just based on this thread, you know that not wearing a mask makes people uncomfortable. If you abstain even while knowing this you are showing a lack of concern for others. On the other hand, if you did have some level of concern for others, you would be able to determine the personal discomfort of wearing a mask is microscopic compared to the level of discomfort you are causing in others.

So please, wear a mask, and don't curse in front of the ladies.

Please just stop feeding this recycled troll. :doh::doh:

Troll? Are you joking or just being "that guy"?

*sigh* Liability is a big deal whether or not you choose recognize it. I run a multimillion dollar outdoor recreation-based entity and literally deal with it directly on a daily basis and even that doesn't keep you from being sued- because someone can sue you for *literally anything* if they even vaguely suspect you of causing them loss of income/damaging their legally held contracts' viability/injured them somehow- or even if you inadvertently created a situation where they hurt themselves!

So yeah go ahead and call me a troll all you want, it is just an admission that you don't understand any of this. Real professionals take steps to protect their assets, and those who don't are soon to part with them. Simple as that. Excuse me for caring and hoping that a cool org like Foundation gets their **** together before something bad happens and they get HOSED. Putting people in danger for a promo photo that's now being passed around as an example of what *not* to do is generally regarded as BUSH LEAGUE.

Latest posts