• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

Oh no, here we go again.

I'm not trying to troll here. I just wonder how a player goes from being so dominant on tour to not winning a major or nt in like two years. It's not like his temper is a new thing.

It's the same thing that I wonder about Sarah Hokem. It's the same scenario. Top rated woman that slips rating wise and is no longer in contention for the big tournaments. Her rating has dropped what thirty or more points since the switch? The only difference is she doesn't put on the sane fireworks that Nikko does.

Last edited:
You're looking at this wrong. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHO THE PLAYERS ARE. Period.

It's the math. Using the same process as every other event, the ratings generated by the performance flight were found to be so far off the norm as to be statistically unreliable. Theorize all you want as to why, the fact is the math shows there is something different about the scores being thrown by players in the performance format. Chuck's already chimed in here pointing out that SSA generated by performance flights have been off by 8+ strokes compared to "normal". It's a unique occurrence.

I can take an amatuer tournament, such as AM worlds, and have players rated from the 500's to 1000, and still get a rating. Please tell me this is "so far off the norm" again.

That doesn't matter, ratings are determined by final score, not by your par on the hole.?
This is true, but a player playing for a birdie on a par 7 is going to play different than a player playing for a birdie on a par 5. They might choose not to bring as much risk into play and just chip away at the fairway a few times. So while they are playing the same fairways, they are attacking them differently. A player capable of getting a 5 on hole 5 for instance might play for a 6 on purpose, just to guarantee themselves a handicap par birdie.

So pros getting 11, 12, 13+ don't count

Sure it does, but they're not doing it because they don't care. High numbers are going to happen at Winthrop no matter what side of the field you're on, but you might get a lot more instances of high numbers from the performance flight if you get someone that knows they're not going to get the trophy and they're just there to have fun so they start bringing on unnecessary risk. The game you play when nothing is on the line is different than the game you play when money is a factor.

Just got a chance to tune in. It's embarrasing watching Locastro.

This is true, but a player playing for a birdie on a par 7 is going to play different than a player playing for a birdie on a par 5. They might choose not to bring as much risk into play and just chip away at the fairway a few times. So while they are playing the same fairways, they are attacking them differently. A player capable of getting a 5 on hole 5 for instance might play for a 6 on purpose, just to guarantee themselves a handicap par birdie.

That's called course strategy, and handicap is not ratings, and has nothing to do with DG. In the performance flight, you still have to play the best round you can, which ultimately means the lowest score you can card, regardless of strategy.

Sure it does, but they're not doing it because they don't care. High numbers are going to happen at Winthrop no matter what side of the field you're on, but you might get a lot more instances of high numbers from the performance flight if you get someone that knows they're not going to get the trophy and they're just there to have fun so they start bringing on unnecessary risk. The game you play when nothing is on the line is different than the game you play when money is a factor.

This is the norm anyways, for any tournament, this always happens, so not a valid excuse.

He did just clutch up and make a big birdie though. I'm sure he'd be more competitive if he just stayed out if his own head (coming from someone who has had some recent trouble with his own mental game).

This is the norm anyways, for any tournament, this always happens, so not a valid excuse.

Playing for a 6 on a par 5 on purpose is not course strategy that happens at any tournament. Maybe some players SHOULD be doing it, but believe me most people are not. I have played in the performance flight two years. I've been near the top the first year (2012) and near the bottom the next (2013). I don't have the discipline to play against my projected par, so I was always just attacking the course. I was playing with people who played short or laid up just to get their projected birdie when it really counted. They definitely did not throw the same shots they would throw in a normal round. Likewise in 2013 I have played with people that said "hey let's see if I can reach it" and throw a stupid shot that never had a chance of landing in bounds, just because this was their one time playing Winthrop and they just wanted to enjoy it. Again, not going to happen in a real competition but in this case it didn't matter.

How do you get an 11 on hole 12...I just heard that about Nikko on the broadcast. Its not stroke and distance and there is a drop zone off the drive. Thats 6 throws 5 OBs? How is that possible.

How do you get an 11 on hole 12...I just heard that about Nikko on the broadcast. Its not stroke and distance and there is a drop zone off the drive. Thats 6 throws 5 OBs? How is that possible.

Unsuccessfully ran the green after his first in-bounds drive, then several more shots that didn't reach the green when he brought it to the line. He was not in the right frame of mind on that hole.

I got a chance to watch a little bit during lunch today. I saw the first tantrum Locastro had after missing his eagle putt for birdie...

I was def embarrased. I've been pumping the event up to lots of rec players that I've played with around town, who have never heard of the USDGC. Serveral of them were really excited to find out that such a prestigious event was going on, and were planning to attend as spectators. I would really hate for them to attend and see this type of behavior setting the example of our most heralded event. I'm protective of the sport I love, and if you are not capable of exhibiting professional behavior, GTFO!

The USDGC is our "Masters" and Winthrop is our "Agusta National". DO NOT detract from the mystic that this event generates.

I can take an amatuer tournament, such as AM worlds, and have players rated from the 500's to 1000, and still get a rating. Please tell me this is "so far off the norm" again.

Dude, not to be a dick but give it a rest. There is something called statistics which apparently is something you do not fully understand. The Performance Flight is not scored like a normal disc golf tournament and the ratings reflect that, therefore using them does not make any sense.

Dude, not to be a dick but give it a rest. There is something called statistics which apparently is something you do not fully understand. The Performance Flight is not scored like a normal disc golf tournament and the ratings reflect that, therefore using them does not make any sense.

Please make it stop. :wall::doh::wall::doh:

I got a chance to watch a little bit during lunch today. I saw the first tantrum Locastro had after missing his eagle putt for birdie...

I was def embarrased. I've been pumping the event up to lots of rec players that I've played with around town, who have never heard of the USDGC. Serveral of them were really excited to find out that such a prestigious event was going on, and were planning to attend as spectators. I would really hate for them to attend and see this type of behavior setting the example of our most heralded event. I'm protective of the sport I love, and if you are not capable of exhibiting professional behavior, GTFO!

The USDGC is our "Masters" and Winthrop is our "Agusta National". DO NOT detract from the mystic that this event generates.

I'm no fan of Nikko either, but by Nikko standards, his little meltdown after missing the eagle putt on 10 was tame. I've seen similar or worse behavior from ball golfers at the Masters or US Open or the like (Tiger Woods in particular). His tantrums today are a blip on the radar, no more, because I've been eyewitness to far far worse Nikko behavior than what he displayed today.

Today wasn't necessarily good but it definitely could have been worse. He's not going to be "cured" of his tantrum tendencies overnight, and maybe it's just the optimist in me, but baby-steps are better than no steps at all.

Paul goes -5 on the back 9, finishing strong and keeping a 5 stroke lead going into Friday. Good round to watch for the highs, and the lows.

We did a test calculation only using "super propagators" with low deviations and higher ratings. But statistically it didn't work as well as simply having more regular propagators at all rating levels.

The USDGC is a special case where the players in the Performance Flight are not playing the same game as the Open players because they don't have payout at stake and they are getting "handicap" score adjustments. This has resulted in the pool on average shooting up to 8 shots higher SSA than Open when we compare their ratings calculations done separately.

If they aren't playing the same game, why do they get the same ratings? And why do they get the ratings bonus of not having their low ratings count as propagators?

I'm not trying to troll here. I just wonder how a player goes from being so dominant on tour to not winning a major or nt in like two years. It's not like his temper is a new thing.

It's the same thing that I wonder about Sarah Hokem. It's the same scenario. Top rated woman that slips rating wise and is no longer in contention for the big tournaments. Her rating has dropped what thirty or more points since the switch? The only difference is she doesn't put on the sane fireworks that Nikko does.

For someone not trying to troll you sure make a good go of it. Paul McBeth has introduced new plastic into his bag(Thunderbird, Krait, Nova, etc) as has Cat, Paige, Feldberg, McCray, Lizotte and Rick and yet no mentioning of their outstanding finishes this year being because of changes they made to their bags. Why is this? Because it's ludicrous. Maybe just maybe they put more work into their games, practiced smarter, or have attributes more conducive to success(i.e:talent)?

Last edited:

For the fifth time, am or pro has nothing to do with it.

It has everything to do with the performance scoring and how it affects the players (who range from Rec level to Open level themselves). If McBeth and Schusterick and all the players in the Open Flight played the Performance game instead, the ratings from their rounds wouldn't be statistically sound either.