• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

For the fifth time, am or pro has nothing to do with it.

It has everything to do with the performance scoring and how it affects the players (who range from Rec level to Open level themselves). If McBeth and Schusterick and all the players in the Open Flight played the Performance game instead, the ratings from their rounds wouldn't be statistically sound either.

But if the ratings from their rounds are not statistically sound because it is a different game, why do they get the benefit of getting the ratings from the Open flight?

You can't have it both ways. Either the ratings of performance group are not statistically sound and they should not get a rating or the ratings of the performance group are statistically sound and they should count in calculating the ratings they received. The middle ground makes no sense.

honestly, why do people care so much about the ratings? can we talk about what's actually happening on the course?

and will there be more coverage today?

The difference for Will and Nikko I see all comes down to putting. They are not consistent putters anymore/currently. Watching Nikko when he was at his best he was lights out from 50 and in. Thing with putting too is it's all about confidence, both seem to lack it. Mentally they might have more pressure now under Prodigy also, something to consider.

But if the ratings from their rounds are not statistically sound because it is a different game, why do they get the benefit of getting the ratings from the Open flight?

You can't have it both ways. Either the ratings of performance group are not statistically sound and they should not get a rating or the ratings of the performance group are statistically sound and they should count in calculating the ratings they received. The middle ground makes no sense.

I don't make the call here. Frankly, I don't see why the performance players need a rating for the event. The first year of Performance didn't get rated. No reason the following years should. I'm only trying to explain why they're not using the Performance rounds, not why they should use the Open scores.

The difference for Will and Nikko I see all comes down to putting. They are not consistent putters anymore/currently. Watching Nikko when he was at his best he was lights out from 50 and in. Thing with putting too is it's all about confidence, both seem to lack it. Mentally they might have more pressure now under Prodigy also, something to consider.

Putting is putting and at their level it is all in their heads. Doesnt matter if they throw prodigy or lighting plastic. Hell Jim Oats won a Masters World championship with lighting plastic.

A definite possibility, which brings the conversation back to attributes of the successful.

The Performance Flight gets ratings because they wish to get them for playing at the USDGC. I would be fine not doing ratings for the Performance Flight and have suggested it but it's the PDGA's call. In many cases, Performance Flight players will end up with round ratings pulling down their player rating and some rounds will be excluded for being too low. Here's Mike Masters Ratings Detail and you'll see how one USDGC round from last year is excluded: http://www.pdga.com/player/50475/details

Last edited:
I miss the ODOC format.

Happy to get to watch John E tomorrow. Hopefully he has another great round to make it interesting.

The Performance Flight gets ratings because they wish to get them for playing at the USDGC. I would be fine not doing ratings for the Performance Flight and have suggested it but it's the PDGA's call. In many cases, Performance Flight players will end up with round ratings pulling down their player rating and some rounds will be excluded for being too low.

Did you run the numbers from yesterday or are you just speaking from historical experience? I'd be curious what the 59 in performance rated out in a performance-only running of the ratings. Would it really be around 8 strokes worse than a 59 in the open flight?

I feel this way about Doss as well. It seems like his drives and short game are generally spectacular, but his putting lets him down somewhat...

The Performance Flight gets ratings because they wish to get them for playing at the USDGC. I would be fine not doing ratings for the Performance Flight and have suggested it but it's the PDGA's call. In many cases, Performance Flight players will end up with round ratings pulling down their player rating and some rounds will be excluded for being too low.

Will the Performance Flight ratings be calculated on the performance-adjusted scores or the actual score (score to par)?

If I could get the actual scores thrown by Perf yesterday, I could quickly check their SSA compared to Open. But it looks like I have to bring up each player and calculate their actual score.

Can someone play both performance and open if they qualified for both?

Can someone play both performance and open if they qualified for both?

Wouldn't be possible because players from one flight are still playing when the other flight is already teeing off. Unless you're okay taking par+4 on some holes...but yeah, I doubt they would allow that.

Wouldn't be possible because players from one flight are still playing when the other flight is already teeing off. Unless you're okay taking par+4 on some holes...but yeah, I doubt they would allow that.
Why would they have to be separate rounds?