• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

I'd love to see johnE win usdgc. After all the work and sacrifice he has put into going on tour full time, he deserves it. Although in the back of my mind it's mcbeths to lose. And I don't foresee him slipping enough to lose the lead. He's just too solid right now .

What happened to the 30 second rule? Noticed in the live stream this morning that Brown took 45+ seconds on many throws.

i had a big nasty **** talk post written this morning but he seemed to speed it up for the rest of the round. he was molasses- esq at worlds and i was dreading watching this card today live, but maybe someone said something to him this morning?

Interesting to note some of this year's changes on the OB rules for hole 9--ANY shot that went OB (no matter where) took a penalty and their next shot from the drop zone or previous lie. MacBeth's 7 today (second shot OB long, drop zone shot OB long) probably would have been a circle 4 par last year (when we used traditional OB where it went out).

It was fun flagging on this hole during the tournament.

The USDGC is a special case where the players in the Performance Flight are not playing the same game as the Open players because they don't have payout at stake and they are getting "handicap" score adjustments. This has resulted in the pool on average shooting up to 8 shots higher SSA than Open when we compare their ratings calculations done separately.

What? I don't doubt the numbers, but those reasons are incredibly weak.

I'm open to additional explanations but the bottom line is the numbers indicate the Performance format is a different game.

i kinda missed out on the timely discussion, but its UNCANNY how every prodigy player is struggling this year. seriously prodigy discs made NIKKO LOCASTRO a inconstant putter.

Can't wait to spectate tomorrow, but not looking forward to the weather :sick:

I'm open to additional explanations but the bottom line is the numbers indicate the Performance format is a different game.

You know I've always held that ratings are missing a slope calculation, to adjust for courses that play easier for pros than for bogey golfers. Perhaps this is one case. I know it usually doesn't matter, and probably can't be detected in the data on a wide scale.

Anway, whatevs, I agree with the poster that said if their scores aren't used to generate the ratings, then they shouldn't get the ratings. I mean that's just dumb, right? If the game they're playing is SOOOO different, then they shouldn't be given ratings on the other game that they're not playing.

i kinda missed out on the timely discussion, but its UNCANNY how every prodigy player is struggling this year. seriously prodigy discs made NIKKO LOCASTRO a inconstant putter.

nikko should have taken the idea ricky had by hot stamping prodigy on a choice putter

You know I've always held that ratings are missing a slope calculation, to adjust for courses that play easier for pros than for bogey golfers. Perhaps this is one case. I know it usually doesn't matter, and probably can't be detected in the data on a wide scale.

Anway, whatevs, I agree with the poster that said if their scores aren't used to generate the ratings, then they shouldn't get the ratings. I mean that's just dumb, right? If the game they're playing is SOOOO different, then they shouldn't be given ratings on the other game that they're not playing.
From a marketing standpoint, it might make more sense if the Performance rounds were rated and entered within the DGU handicap system.

I seem to recall him having putting issues after he was picked up by Innova (though the story was he was dealing with back issues), so I wouldn't put it entirely at the feet of Prodigy. Could be he's got a mental block on anything non-Wizard.

I seem to recall him having putting issues after he was picked up by Innova (though the story was he was dealing with back issues), so I wouldn't put it entirely at the feet of Prodigy. Could be he's got a mental block on anything non-Wizard.

I can relate, putting is hard when you HAVE to use a lesser putter.

You know I've always held that ratings are missing a slope calculation, to adjust for courses that play easier for pros than for bogey golfers.

Technically, the rating system does include a 'slope' calculation.. it's just tied solely to SSA. i.e. The PDGA rating system makes the assumption that all layouts of equivalent SSA have an equivalent slope.