• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A question for you Destroyer throwers...

Triflusal said:
How stable are poppy top non destrulcan AJ destroyers? marked *DS and is 170g. Not gonna get to throw it till tomorrow and I want to know what to expect
this destroyer is tits! best distance driver I have ever thrown

Triflusal said:
Triflusal said:
How stable are poppy top non destrulcan AJ destroyers? marked *DS and is 170g. Not gonna get to throw it till tomorrow and I want to know what to expect
this destroyer is tits! best distance driver I have ever thrown
Poppy Top AJ's are def my favorite as well. Easy to find consistent flying discs that mold up that way too. Especially compared to other runs of Destroyers.

Non-vulcanized destroyers are getting tough to find now. Anyone know a source that has some in the 170-172 range. I picked through all of MST's stock over the wkn and didn't find any that worked for me.

I just try to trade for destroyers with older tourney stamps. There are a bunch out there and aren't worth a ton so you can trade for them pretty easily.

I understand that sub 170 Destroyers are stabilized i.e. "Starlite"

were the First Run Protostar Destroyers that came out under 170 also stabilized? Or did this stabilization occur at a later time?

and I flipped through 8 or so pages of this thread but not all of it so sorry if this has been answered before but are the Echo Destroyers less stable or more stable...recognizing that this is mostly a PLH issue
and on the Echo plastic does anyone know if the Orange and Yellow is less stable than the Green?

are sub 170 Echo Destroyers stabilized?

The sub 170 protostar destroyers I have are not stabilized.

I can't comment on sub 170 echo stars as I don't have any.

none of the proto star destroyers were stabilized as far as ive known,ive owned a shit load. the first stabilized ones were marked s/ds if i remember right. even the flat first run productions were flat and similar to proto stars but not stabilized

as for echos,most domey ones ive thrown have been beefy ,some more than others but plh is going to be the most reliable way to distinguish beefy ones from ones that arent as meathookish.

thanks guys
I'll avoid the Echo for now as I have no way of seeing or feeling them

either of you have a spare sub 170 proto that you'd care to sell? 7.5 or better

the few starlight destroyers i've seen have all been in the 167-168 range and were marked sds and the plastic had a gritty or grainy texture to them. i've owned probably half a dozen starlight bosses at one point and have seen maybe 2-3 destroyers. aside from the sds ones anything under 170 has flown like a regular destroyer in my experiences.

i bought some sweet upper 160s champ destroyer xouts from dgv a few times, all the ones i were getting were baby blue and had a decent dome to them. pretty beefy to start out with but once they broke in they were sooooo nice.

A while back they NEEDED to use Starlite to get below 170 on the wide rimmed discs. Starlite made them more overstable but it seems they have figured that out and can now make some lighter star discs without them coming out overstable.

On a random note I was looking through DGV's store today and saw they started listing the S/DS destroyers as collectible and selling them for $20. Does this mean we will never see destroyers like that anymore? that would make me sad.

Frank Delicious said:
On a random note I was looking through DGV's store today and saw they started listing the S/DS destroyers as collectible and selling them for $20. Does this mean we will never see destroyers like that anymore? that would make me sad.
It's Innova, you never know what's going to come out of the molds next...

Frank Delicious said:

This makes me happy and sad...I just discovered how beautiful the S/DS fly compared to the other Destroyers.

I have a 169 S/DS that scale weighs in at 172, Not grainy or gritty and it doesn't appear to be stabilized. Fairly average dome. Flies like a dream. Probably 8.5/10 flies a lot like a new Pro Destroyer that stays new for years.

Guess I should've stocked up before they went collectable.

At least the AJ run of Destroyers is pretty nice, well all the ones w/o the Vulcan Top. I've got a few of those stocked up unfortunately they're usually all heavy.

Frank Delicious said:

That's funny cause I bought some of those exact ones from him a couple of months ago for dirt cheap. They aren't domey and not nearly as stable as the poppy-top S/DSs. The new Avery *DSs don't seem that bad, but they are not nearly as stable as the older marbled and domey S/DSs. But, if you look around you can still find the old S/DSs. I've actually had great luck looking around at head shops and occasionally I have found them at PIAS. I think I am up to roughly 20 or so S/DSs.

Here's why I throw destroyers. Plus this is some of the nicest pro plastic I've fondled.

2012-01-03172135.jpg

That's a pretty Disc. Looks like a good run of Pro, nice and stiff? All the Pro Destroyers I've seen lately are a really, really soft Pro that does not fly like Pro should.

I just bought a soft/domey 172 Pro Destroyer today. It was supper flippy right out of the box. I am soooo disappointed. It flies like a broken in pro wraith. It will be garbage in a week. Should I just skip Pro and stick with star?

Latest posts