• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A question for you Destroyer throwers...

One brand new 168g pro Destroyer in my bag. I had another 175g nicely beat in Pro that I tossed in the river at league the other night.. I wish I could have that thing back.

I have a seasoned 169 Star Destroyer in my bag and it's one of my favorites. I'll definitely have to check out a pro destroyer to see how I like em'.

The first run stars are indeed flat, and less stable. The flat stock stamp I referred to here is exactly like a 1st Run. For some reason my 1st Run Stars are more nose angle sensitive than the domier Destroyers.

FWIW, Echo Stars are domey like the Pros, and have been the longest and most consistent flyer for me.

For now, I carry a Pro and a first run, with Valks filling the rest of the distance slots. The Pro and the Valks get used a lot more than the First Run Star, I just carry it in case of a mild headwind. When the Pro beats in, I have no doubt that I won't be using the first run stars, I'll just be keeping them as a backup in case I lose a seasoned Pro. Right now I'm thinking I won't be running the gamut with Destroyers, the Valk seems to do just fine in tight situations, enough HSS without having that harsh LSS when you power down.

I am thinking about switching to destroyers. Is it worth putting one domey star or a champ in there or do the pros stay stable enough with some hits?

I think the pro's stay stable enough. I've really never met a destroyer I didn't like either. 1st run stars are my favorite along with nice domey pro's.

Yeah, go with the Pro's. You'll like the way they break in.

If you want to be sure to get a domey star and you can't find any in town, get an Echo, they should fly just like the Pro's.

I remember Avery Jenkins said in a video interview that the pro destoryer is the longest disc he's ever thrown. I'd take his word for it.

In the bag: 171 first run star. Domey, stable and perfect in every way.

However I've been digging lots of good destroyers out of the lake lately. IMO the best destroyers must have the following traits:

Stiff star plastic
Heavyish weight
Dome

I found a CFR destroyer and am not impressed with it. It goes right and never fades back.

Jesse B 707 said:
throwing Destroyers without having some pros in your bag is like dating Jessica Alba but choosing to stay celibate

Really? I hate pro destroyers. VERY unpredictable and they just get torn up so fast.

BIG MACK said:
First Run Star Destroyers...oh baby, quite possibly the best maximum distance driver ever made (IMO).

The latest runs of star destroyers have been reminding me a LOT of the first runs. Stiff plastic and domey. Great flight.

for not super stable distance driver i throw pro destroyers. i have about 15 that are all merlot or bright pink. they do beat faster than the star, but i dont see that as a bad thing. the slightly beat ones are the best. i have a few flat ones that are pretty stable but beat in to great hyzer discs and a few domey that are my go tos, slightly more stable but to me seem to fly better and do a great helix. but then again i like domey so im a little biased.

After getting sick for the last couple days, today I feel well enough to hopefully go out and do some more Destroyer testing out in the field.

^^ Yea for someone who throws 500 feet.

My 167 from DGV is VERY overstable for me throwing it around 350.

booter said:
the 1st run xouts from dgv are $$$$$. Flip flat right out of the box

I'm glad I bought a nice little pile of them. The weights marked on mine are all off by about 3-5 grams tho.

My first runs are flat with a very gummy center, is this what they're normally like?

I'm just not a big fan of them, seems like seasoning a Pro is a better solution (and happens pretty quickly from what I'm finding.)

emiller3 said:
My first runs are flat with a very gummy center, is this what they're normally like?

I'm just not a big fan of them, seems like seasoning a Pro is a better solution (and happens pretty quickly from what I'm finding.)

Seasoning a pro one is a good way to get there too. The problem is it doesn't hold that $$ spot for a very long time. One day it'll just turn into your flippy one. These will keep that sweet spot for a long time. I've still got pro ones in the bag and prefer them for some lines.

The tops still pop on my 1st runs (I made sure to request them that way) they are just a little flatter than a pro one.

cali what oolor did you get? I've had some different colors be more overstable than others. Dayglow is a color that comes to mind. It's always been a meathook color in my experience.i don't even throw near 500 lol but I'm in the 400+ range and mine flip flat with a slight hyzer.

the ones I got were slightly gummy. Not bad but just a tad ,exaclty like my others. I didn't request flat ones but mine have a very very small dome if any. I havnt weighed mine yet but I requested low 170's so I'm hoping they're not way off.