• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A question for you Destroyer throwers...

My 170 is considerably more gummy than the 175, the 175 is pretty stiff overall.

They all have slight dome, but I think in general would just be considered flat. They don't quite pop, but they're close.

There were a TON of first run Destroyers (I wonder what the number was). I remember getting run after run of them in...My friend bought 50 of them to practice with in the field. So there is a lot of variation in that and there is no way to typify all of those discs as being flat/domey/stable/understable. They were made of a pretty similar plastic...It was medium stiffness and really grippy. Most of the stiffer Stars out now are much slicker, and the softer ones a lot more gummy. The first runs were very well rounded. Very few were really poppy topped, and very few were flat as a pancake like many of the other runs. The one I have has a dome, but its not stiff and poppy like an Echo Star or some of the other star runs, and certainly not like the CFR Champs that were domey and poppy.

TeamTollandDG said:
Seasoning a pro one is a good way to get there too. The problem is it doesn't hold that $$ spot for a very long time. One day it'll just turn into your flippy one. These will keep that sweet spot for a long time. I've still got pro ones in the bag and prefer them for some lines.
That further confirms my conviction that I a more manageable and more reliable counterpart to the Destroyers. Star Valks have fit that bill quite well for me and after a couple months I can finally say that I'm glad that I ditched the Monarchs for them.

discspeed said:
After getting sick for the last couple days, today I feel well enough to hopefully go out and do some more Destroyer testing out in the field.

Although I've still got a touch of the flu, the last couple of days of rest really had my snap in top form.

I tested the following Destroyers:
174 domey Echo Star
175 domey Echo Star
173 domey stiff Pro
174 medium stiff Champ
175.8 domey stiff Champ

This was quite fun. I tested them forehand and backhand.

I have found my new D driver...I loved these discs. I never quite got in the Destroyer groove when they came out. When they came out I threw them a bit, but I mostly threw ESP Flashes/Forces and Wraiths during that time, and then I moved on to Bosses, etc.

Each of these discs flew great, and compared to the faster discs out there they were much tamer, flew on tight max D lines, and flew very low, straight, and far when I popped them up from a very slight hyzer. Basically, they flew on the same lines that I like to throw all my other discs on, just lower and longer. They were MUCH more accurate than the Nukes/Bosses/Katanas I've been throwing in the field lately. I was aiming about 430'-450' away at trees, and I put a disc up against them several times. Here's a profile of each:

Echo Stars---These flew the same with the only difference being that the light one flew a tiny bit less stable and had a tiny bit more glide on the fade. These flew great. I can't believe how nose down they could get and still pull out. Whoever said that they fly like domey Pros do when new was right on. They even seemed a little more consistent than the Pro, and were a little longer than the Champs and had a little more movement as well. In headwinds the giant domes slowed them down a bit and turned them a little more than I'd like. FH these were my longest, flipping up from slight hyzer, flying straight, and fading predictably. These were probably my favorite overall.

Pro--This was a great disc well. It had the longest flights, but for some reason I made the most mistakes with it as well. When i got it right it went further than the Echo Stars with a tighter flight path. I look forward to breaking this one in more.

174 Champ--This is the lighter and flatter of my two Champs, and if I had to choose only one of these to put in the bag, this would be it. It is very controllable stability-wise, with slower and straighter action than the Echo Stars. It was also less affected by the wind than them, and seemed more accurate/predictable with my FHs than any of the other ones. It did seem a little slower than the Echo Stars.

175.8 domey Champ--This thing was an overstable pig of a D driver. For me, it is a true "0" in HSS. If I released it with even a hint of hyzer, it was holding it throughout the flight. Although the giant dome slowed it a bit in the wind, its steadfast stability was more than a good tradoff. This disc was too stable for my forehand for anything other than skip shots. It will go in my bag as my overstable D driver. It seemed to have more HSS than my Champ Bosses.

Overall I'm very pleased with the Destroyers and they are definitely going to be my new distance drivers. The minimalist in me loves the endless combinations of plastics/shapes this disc is available in, and it is much more manageable in every way for me than the speed 13+ discs.

So the Destroyers held their own against Nukes and Halos? I had thought about trying the other two out after reading your reviews, but Destroyers have always flown so well for me that I couldn't bring myself to try them.

emiller3 said:
So the Destroyers held their own against Nukes and Halos? I had thought about trying the other two out after reading your reviews, but Destroyers have always flown so well for me that I couldn't bring myself to try them.

They definitely hold their own. I haven't been able to get any new Halos yet to test, but I'll be checking them out when we get new ones in (hopefully they will have more dome). Against the Nuke...The Nuke is longer and more dynamic, but the plastic sucks and they seem inconsistent at this point. The Destroyer is easier for me to throw 400'+ in a straight line than either of those.

So today I was rockin a pro wraith on some long 450-480' bombs at all out 100% field work drives. My question is if a destroyer would benefit me at all. I love my pro wraiths and have not thrown a pro destroyer in ages. should I get my hands on a couple of destroyers to see if they would do more things for me know?

peppermack said:
So today I was rockin a pro wraith on some long 450-480' bombs at all out 100% field work drives. My question is if a destroyer would benefit me at all. I love my pro wraiths and have not thrown a pro destroyer in ages. should I get my hands on a couple of destroyers to see if they would do more things for me know?

I'm not sure it would be advantageous to you at your altitude...They may be too stable. If you try a Pro, just remember that they are pretty stable until you hit some things. I would honestly recommend the Echo Star in my limited experience.

I got to try a bit beat Star Destroyer (mild dome, not flat but not poppy top either) and I think that if I had a reason to stop throwing only Discmania at the moment I'd get me one or two Pros and Star Destroyer. Seemed very controllable and was very long. It's funny how I can throw speed 11 drivers like the Wraith and the DD, and also apparently speed 12 drivers like the Destroyer, but the Boss is still such a damn hog. It won't stay leveled out for a second with a flat release, it just goes left. Probably something wrong with it...

Ya, I hear ya on the boss thing. Even with the monster bombs I was throwing today the boss I had out there with them was a moose. I still got it out to 450'ish, but it was only flat for like 60% of the flight before it started to fade out. NO right left movement at all. I had to start it on an anny to get any S flight out of it.

With the star plastic on wide rimmed drivers, once you get down to 168 or below, you're talking star lite plastic which does mold up quite a bit more stable than regular star.

Animix said:
With the star plastic on wide rimmed drivers, once you get down to 168 or below, you're talking star lite plastic which does mold up quite a bit more stable than regular star.
Yeah, I know about the Starlites. =)

Mine is 171 though.

emiller3 said:

Destroyers will hang with anything. They're fast and stable enough to handle some big rips.

I've been throwing a ton of D drivers in the field lately, and all of the top ones that get attention here can hang. It all depends on what feels good to you and what flight characteristics you need the most based on where you play most often.

I like the Destroyer because I like the Wraith, and the Destroyer simply seems like a faster Wraith. The profiles of the two discs are quite similar, with the obvious difference of the Destroyer having a wider wing. The speed makes the Destroyer a little more speed stable and low speed overstable. It also makes it fly better on a little lower lines.

I took my Destroyers to the course yesterday and they flew really well for me. I'm looking forward to getting my Echo Stars broken in a little. I bought a flat/somewhat gummy E Star to try and it flat out sucks. I have never liked flat Destroyers...much squirrelier than the domeys and with less glide.

discspeed said:
I took my Destroyers to the course yesterday and they flew really well for me. I'm looking forward to getting my Echo Stars broken in a little. I bought a flat/somewhat gummy E Star to try and it flat out sucks. I have never liked flat Destroyers...much squirrelier than the domeys and with less glide.

I feel the same way. I don't really like em unless the top pops.

Heh, I've got a pop top Star Destroyer that is one of the most overstable wide-rimmed discs I've ever thrown.

I have to put it on a hard anny to get it past 350', it has like 0 glide. Its 170 so maybe its a heavy Starlite or something, but it is a freak.

Back to the thread topic: Most Innova pros seem to favor Destroyers and Xcals over Bosses, so that should tell you something right there. And Climo likes the Wraith.

discspeed said:
peppermack said:

I'm not sure it would be advantageous to you at your altitude...They may be too stable. If you try a Pro, just remember that they are pretty stable until you hit some things. I would honestly recommend the Echo Star in my limited experience.

Ya, that is what I was thinking. I have tried other big D discs and alway go back to wraiths eventually. I am so inconsistent with my distance abilities that I should just stay with what I have. The day after I was getting monster D I went back out and was having a hard time hitting 400'. Now if I could just figure out how to stay consistent.

Anybody else notice the stability difference between the one's that are marked *D and SDS on the bottom? All the SDS Destroyers I have are quite a bit more overstable than the old *D marked one's. Anybody else have the same experience?

Parks said:
Heh, I've got a pop top Star Destroyer that is one of the most overstable wide-rimmed discs I've ever thrown.

I have to put it on a hard anny to get it past 350', it has like 0 glide. Its 170 so maybe its a heavy Starlite or something, but it is a freak.

Back to the thread topic: Most Innova pros seem to favor Destroyers and Xcals over Bosses, so that should tell you something right there. And Climo likes the Wraith.

That Destroyer probably has glide when its going 70mph. Last time I played with Climo (Jan-Feb?) he was only throwing Wraiths for rollers. He was using a pro Destroyer and a pretty beat Echo Star Xcal for distance.