• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A question for you Destroyer throwers...

BLURR said:
Anybody else notice the stability difference between the one's that are marked *D and SDS on the bottom? All the SDS Destroyers I have are quite a bit more overstable than the old *D marked one's. Anybody else have the same experience?
Every *D I have or have had has been pretty flat. Perhaps your old *D were flatter, and maybe your newer SDS are domier like the Echos and Pros?

I took my Destroyers to the field again today. After all the throws I've had with them, I have to say that my Echo Stars fly consistently a little longer than my Pro. I'm going to keep the Pro to throw on water shots, but I think my 174 super domey Echo Star is going to be my main bomber BH/FH. I'm also carrying the 2 champs--small dome 174/huge dome 175.8. The lighter one is slightly more HSS than my Echos and also less LSS. It is my favorite for line shaping and it also my best FH driver because it glides straight without flipping on FH shots, where the Echo Star likes to flip up a little more and go farther. The other Champ is a great hyzer/headwind disc, and goes far if I force the nose down the whole flight.

<----- I dyed my first Echo Star Destroyer when I first got it, I think it pretty much summarizes my thoughts on it...

Although a Pro Destroyer will fly longer when it gets a little seasoned. I haven't seasoned an Echo Star yet, I'll be curious how yours break in.

discspeed said:
Parks said:
Heh, I've got a pop top Star Destroyer that is one of the most overstable wide-rimmed discs I've ever thrown.

I have to put it on a hard anny to get it past 350', it has like 0 glide. Its 170 so maybe its a heavy Starlite or something, but it is a freak.

Back to the thread topic: Most Innova pros seem to favor Destroyers and Xcals over Bosses, so that should tell you something right there. And Climo likes the Wraith.

That Destroyer probably has glide when its going 70mph. Last time I played with Climo (Jan-Feb?) he was only throwing Wraiths for rollers. He was using a pro Destroyer and a pretty beat Echo Star Xcal for distance.

I shoulda had Feldberg throw it when he was here, since he said he likes the pop tops the best due to their stability. I could've seen if this one was good at super high speeds or if it truly is just an overstable freak at all speeds. I don't have a problem flipping any other Destroyer, although max weight domey ones are pretty tough for me to turn much.

Also, whether or not Climo is still throwing the Wraith for long shots, he's still not using a Boss for distance from your description. Which was my original point. I know Feldberg was throwing Echo Xcals for any 400'+ air shots when he was here.

Roy said:
Chalk up one more vote for beat pro destoyers.
And another. Just found my half-beat domey Pro Destroyer in the lost and found bin at DeLaveaga today, super happy to have it back. Lots more character will come out of this disc as it ages further.

That being said, either my domey Pro Wraith or my Champion Orc are more accurate for me, probably because they have stayed more stable, whereas the Destroyer will begin to flip after a while, which is a good thing (and much better than a Katana or Nuke, for me at least) but still this can make it more difficult to finesse, particularly in gusty conditions.

I've been throwing all of my Destroyers trying to find which combination of plastics I want in my bag. It is difficult because each version I have possesses it's own merit.

Echo Star (174&175)--These are super domey and consistently the longest flyers (along with the Pro). I have broken one of them in so that it flips up from a little hyzer and the other one is still stable, requiring a full power rip to get a little bit of turn. I like these a lot, though I'm still not quite familar enough with the broken in one to throw it consistently. It gets a lot of movement for me now, but once I get used to it I should be able to shape its line a bit better. The main weakness of the Echo Star is the huge dome that gets pushed around a bit in crosswinds and slowed/turned into headwinds.

Pro (173)--This disc shares the same strengths and weaknesses of the Echo Star for the most part. It is the most affected by the wind--longest in a tailwind, turned the hardest by a headwind, and most affected by crosswinds. In calm conditions it is right there with the Echo Star.

First Run Star (175)--I found this disc in my collection. Someone fished it out of a lake after a long time--it looked awful, but cleaned up pretty well. This disc is a little broken in, fairly flat, and fairly stiff. This disc is great. All around it is probably my favorite. It flips up from a little hyzer predictably, holding its line upwind and downwind. Finishes consistently far. It is my favorite for FH and is also the best out of the Star/Pro for crosswinds. It does not get slowed by headwinds like the domier versions.

Champion with small dome (174)--This disc flies a lot like a slower/shorter version of the FR Star. Before I found the FR Star I was really digging this disc, but now it seems to be outshined. This disc is good at everything, but best at nothing. Out of all my Destroyers it is consistently the shortest. It is very easy to shape lines with but is a bit understable at full power.

Champion with big dome (175)--This disc is not as domey as the Echo Stars, but it is still pretty busty. It is also quite stiff. It is stable at high speeds and is my best disc in the wind. It still flips a bit in a headwind, but it is predictable. In adverse wind conditions I seem to be able to force this disc farther than my others. It has good glide despite its stability, and when I get it turned over into a full flight it goes just about as far as any of the others. Out of all of these, this one has the most sure spot in my bag.

So far I'm thinking I like the FR Star, broken in Echo Star, and domey Champ for my bag. The Pro is good, but I'd rather go for the durability of the Echo Star. I still want to try a dx for throwing over water/trouble and a stiff, flatter current production star to see if it flies like my FR. I like all of these discs and overall I'm pretty happy with the Destroyer in my bag over the other wide rimmed drivers.

I'm carrying two pros and a first run Star, seems to handle everything I need. After I beat a couple Pros in to get some backups, which doesn't look like it'll take long, I'll probably switch to Echo Stars since they last longer. I really like the Pro plastic, though, so I may just stick with them.

Flatter Destroyers are great for headwinds and crosswinds, predictable and long. They bite in a tailwind, just saps the distance from them. I haven't been throwing domey Destroyers long enough to know how they do in a tailwind, but I'll have to give them a try. I've been using Valks for tailwinds.

emiller3 said:
Flatter Destroyers are great for headwinds and crosswinds, predictable and long. They bite in a tailwind, just saps the distance from them. I haven't been throwing domey Destroyers long enough to know how they do in a tailwind, but I'll have to give them a try. I've been using Valks for tailwinds.

I'd keep using Valks for tailwinds. Still the best tailwind big D driver in my opinion.

I picked up a dx Destroyer last night to compare to the others I have. I am hoping to use them to throw on a very dangerous water shot on my home course where losing discs is inevidable even if you are a pussy and totally lay up.

Right now I'm comparing parting lines between the dx and my overstable champ and the difference is ridiculous...definitely between 1 and 2mm. So I'm guessing the Dx Destroyer is the least stable of the bunch? This is not what I was hoping.

discspeed said:
I picked up a dx Destroyer last night to compare to the others I have. I am hoping to use them to throw on a very dangerous water shot on my home course where losing discs is inevidable even if you are a pussy and totally lay up.

Right now I'm comparing parting lines between the dx and my overstable champ and the difference is ridiculous...definitely between 1 and 2mm. So I'm guessing the Dx Destroyer is the least stable of the bunch? This is not what I was hoping.

THey are the least stable of the bunch in my experience, however not by much. You might be just fine with them as long as they are pretty new. The domier ones I've had have been a little more overstable than the flatter ones. I use em for pond chucking too (Maple Hill).

TeamTollandDG said:
discspeed said:

THey are the least stable of the bunch in my experience, however not by much. You might be just fine with them as long as they are pretty new. The domier ones I've had have been a little more overstable than the flatter ones. I use em for pond chucking too (Maple Hill).

That's good...I got a super domey one. Tolland...I've got a buddy that moved up to Martha's Vineyard last year and plays at Maple Hill sometimes...Ever met a Brazillian dude named Fabricio (He's quite a character, you wouldn't forget him)? He got an albatross (2 on a par 5) there in a tournament last year. I'm not sure what hole because I've never been there, but it sounded pretty impressive. He had a perfect drive and then hit a fairway ace for the 2.

discspeed said:
TeamTollandDG said:
discspeed said:

That's good...I got a super domey one. Tolland...I've got a buddy that moved up to Martha's Vineyard last year and plays at Maple Hill sometimes...Ever met a Brazillian dude named Fabricio (He's quite a character, you wouldn't forget him)? He got an albatross (2 on a par 5) there in a tournament last year. I'm not sure what hole because I've never been there, but it sounded pretty impressive. He had a perfect drive and then hit a fairway ace for the 2.

I've met him a couple times, team challenge finals and a few tournies. He is a character all right. Good golfer and fun to play with. I just played a casual round with him at wickham park (manchester CT.) the other day.

TeamTollandDG said:
discspeed said:
TeamTollandDG said:
discspeed said:

I've met him a couple times, team challenge finals and a few tournies. He is a character all right. Good golfer and fun to play with. I just played a casual round with him at wickham park (manchester CT.) the other day.

Next time you see him tell him that you know Mike Phillips...He'll probably tell you how I got him throwing Buzzzes...

I just got back from the field after throwing my Destroyers. Holy cow the dx is understable compared to my others! I don't think its going to fulfill what I hoped it to be. I should have known when I saw how low its parting line was...Anyway, this thing is no good in anything but no wind or tailwind, and even then it takes at least 15 degrees more hyzer on the release to keep from flipping terminally.

Any possibility it was a freak one? Maybe most DXs aren't quite that understable.

jubuttib said:
Any possibility it was a freak one? Maybe most DXs aren't quite that understable.

It was super domey. I only grabbed one (it was the only heavy dx we had) and it is super domey. I know that they are not all like this as I had one that was a little more stable that I got in a tourney a couple years ago (wish I kept it). It wasn't real stable though. This sucks because they do something to dx Wraiths and Teerexes to make them more stable, yet they neglect the Destroyer...I guess my water disc is going to be the Pro Destroyer because I too often am throwing into a headwind on the particular hole I need it for.

2 First Run Stars.

One beat, one shiny and new. Although the beat one seems to have held onto its stability. They pretty much do the same thing as one another but I like having 2 around for taking multiple practice shots on certain holes.

I like that at my altitude I can throw a Destroyer flat and no matter how much I put on it, it won't turn, even at 400'. It's consistent and dependable. But after playing a week at a lower altitude, I found that it's robbing me of about 50' of distance by fading hard right (LHBH) instead of forward. I dropped down about 3000' and I was able to get some turn on an almost new Pro Destroyer, and I threw at least 440' every time, with my longest throw going 470' (brought my GPS along to measure, I'm a dork.) That's my longest non-wind aided throw to date. It was like magic, I was ripping it so well consistently. I really enjoyed it.

Then I get back and all of a sudden I'm throwing nose up again (I struggle getting my weight forward) and that newish Pro Destroyer is only going about 380', thanks to my suddenly poor form and my lack of power to turn it in this thin air. Oh well. I look forward to the time it gets seasoned enough to fly like it did last week, and it seems like it's breaking in pretty quick.

Me likey Pro Destryer!! i have not thrown a destroyer in a couple of years, and certianly not since I learned the one inch punch. late snap, crush the fuck out of it throw that Blake and Bradley havve been teaching in the technique section. I picked up a new 175g pro destroyer today cause last week I was having a hard time keeping the wraith from going way right on big throws. Holy shit, this thing bombed straight and then faded hard hit the ground out at about 430' then skipped another 50'. I was left of the hole by 100' though, but yowey zowey, it is good stuff. I would imagine when it breaks in it will have less fade? Also, is there one that has less fade out of the box?

If you threw it 480' on a dead straight line (no noticeable high speed turn), you must be at elevation...like 5000'+? I've thrown a new one that far at 4000' and it had noticeable high speed turn. If that's the case, then I'd say no, in my experience you won't lose that LSS, and you'll want something else for more narrow fairways.