• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A question for you Destroyer throwers...

So my max distance is now around 350 with an S – PD. It is around 280 plus with a buzz and 320 with a cyclone. I was wondering am I in the range to start looking for a Max D driver?

CHEERS - Koffee

koffee said:
So my max distance is now around 350 with an S – PD. It is around 280 plus with a buzz and 320 with a cyclone. I was wondering am I in the range to start looking for a Max D driver?

CHEERS - Koffee

If you have not, buy an Orc!

also really digging the newer production run champs, i have 2 orange @ 170 that for me are just about the perfect distance driver, real nice run of plastic (feels like it may have some XG mixed in?) and a perfect subtle dome

A local guy in my area has some CFR Champ Destroyers for sale. I'm curious how these fly compared to a FR Star? I only ask this particular disc because its the only other Destroyer I own. I really love the FR, but its starting to turn a little on me RHFH.

Any insights?

xeroxed44 said:
A local guy in my area has some CFR Champ Destroyers for sale. I'm curious how these fly compared to a FR Star? I only ask this particular disc because its the only other Destroyer I own. I really love the FR, but its starting to turn a little on me RHFH.

Any insights?

Best destroyers out there consist of, slight dome pro, super dome echo, and cfr glow. All the others are just meh.

Well I hit up some of my friends and begged and barrowed some discs to try. I got a chance to throw the following discs. and got some base impressions on there characteristics.

My question is based on how easy it is to replace lost discs. An example of what I mean is I really liked the first run Nuke I tried but if I lose this disc it would be hard to replace.

It looked like the destroyer was easy to replace in either glow or echo plastic. I also read people's impression on opto plastic was good and their production runs were consistent. wich makes opto a nice option.

Orc
beast
Destroyer
Nuke
Wraith
Halo
Riot

CHEERS - Koffee

koffee said:
Well I hit up some of my friends and begged and barrowed some discs to try. I got a chance to throw the following discs. and got some base impressions on there characteristics.

My question is based on how easy it is to replace lost discs. An example of what I mean is I really liked the first run Nuke I tried but if I lose this disc it would be hard to replace.

It looked like the destroyer was easy to replace in either glow or echo plastic. I also read people's impression on opto plastic was good and their production runs were consistent. wich makes opto a nice option.

Orc
beast
Destroyer
Nuke
Wraith
Halo
Riot

CHEERS - Koffee
All I can say is that I've had really varying experiences with Beast, I haven't thrown two that flew the same. Wraiths are easy to replace, especially since the Discmania P-DD flies like and E* Wraith.

I throw 169 Domey Pro and 175 Domey Star, it can be tricky to find a consistent dome on star, but I noticed 175 echo stars are all good n' domey...

IMO, destroyers with similar domes and parting line heights start out flying similarly, then varying weights and plastic types reveals slightly varying flight characteristics throughout the life of each disc.

I have been favoring the destroyer and thats nice to know that the wraith is easy to replace. Well I will definitly grab a destroyer in the glow and a domey echo to give this a try.

Thank for the information

CHEERS - Koffee

I've been taking a bunch of Destroyers to the field a couple times a week since I got all of them. Man, they are pretty darn consistent across plastics. Every time I throw a different one goes farther...Its pretty darn confusing. I throw discs all of the time and you guys know I usually see consistent differences...but with the Echo Star, domey Pro, domey champ, and flat glow champ are all long and stable. They are easy to put a turn on my manipulating the nose angle and are easy to shape lines with at full power. None of these are good for me on shots other than straight to hyzer and hyzer all the way under 400' as they are too stable. My FR Star is perfect for this application though as it is a little flippy. The FR Star is not as long though out in the open because it doesn't glide as well at the end of the flight. I was throwing downhill today, but I put 6 of these within thirty feet of each other @ about 500' out. I got each of these to creep right slowly and then pull up and come back. They were very straight shots for that distance. There was a little right to left wind. Next weekend I'm playing two rounds at a golf course DG layout for a tournament, and I can't wait as I'm feeling very dialed in with my distance driving.

I tested my DGR P-PDs as well, and they were all a little short of the Destroyers with the exception of one that I threw a HUGE anny with that came back at the very end of the flight.

Well I went out to the field today to test out the wraith. I decided to toss some plastic that has been on the shelf for a bit. I was throwing into the wind which was about 20 with some gusts. These seemed to handle the wind nicely at 175 g my lighter ones at 160 got blown around some. I was able to avg between 330 - 350 consistently not sure how much D I lost with the wind but I they flew nicely. I noticed that with the wind they seemed to be more stable disc.

CHEERS - Koffee

Is there a significant difference between the destroyer and the wraith other then the destroyer being a bit faster? The reason I am asking is I already have a few wraiths and was wondering if I should snag a couple destroyers for long term testing. On the other hand I will still probably get a few destroyers no matter what the answer as I am compulsive.

CHEERS - Koffee

The destroyer is quite a bit faster and fades harder. The stability is pretty close though depending on what kind of plastic.

Yeah, the Destroyer was noticeably faster than a Wraith for me the first time I threw it. If I'm remembering right, it is really close in stability to domey Star and Champ Wraiths. My old Pro Wraith is so trashed I can't remember what it flew like when I got it.

Got a chance to test the destroyer today with a 25 mph head wind. It seemd to hold nicely and did not turnover. I even hung a couple up in the air and it held the line and just died on distance. I can not wait to test this disc on a calmish day.

CHEERS - Koffee

Yesterday I lost one of my DGR P-PDs in some super thick pricker vines on the edge of the fairway. Anyway, while looking for it I found an old Star Destroyer of mine that someone else had found and tried to blackout my name. It looked pretty beat, so I was eager to try it out thinking it might be good to have a really beat and flippy Destroyer in my bag. My first throw I just smoothed it with a little hyzer...to my surprise it was more overstable than any Destroyer I've tried this year since I put them back in my bag! Long story short, I now have a super overstable Destroyer to use in headwinds and for true hyzers!

Now that some time has passed, I think I'm a little more set on exactly what Destroyers I have in my bag. Although I like all of them, I'm really gravitating toward only having Stars in my bag. The Champs fly nice, but I don't feel like I'm getting as good of a grip on them. The Stars are also a little faster and seem to deal with wind from all directions a little better. I also have a couple Stars I've found that are super overstable, so I no longer need the Champ to fight the wind. My first Echo Star is quite flippy now for a Max D disc (-2 HSS), but it absolutely bombs with a little height and some room to work. It is also very workable on long technical holes if started with a little hyzer and not overpowered. My fresher Echo Star is my go-to D driver as it has the perfect slight turn I like out of my D drivers when I get on it. I have 2 overstable Stars in the bag as well, the one I just found, and a super domey bottom stamped one I just picked up. The older one will probably be the one to stay in the bag since I know its not going to break in and start flipping a little after a couple hits.

My Champ and Glo Champ are probably done now, and I don't think I'll get any more Pro because my E* is as flippy as I want and got that way rather quickly. There are simply too many cruel distance holes on my home courses that have lots of trees right off the teepad. When I'm trying to throw 400'+ and I hit one of these, it ends the life of a Pro disc. My flippy E* has just had an irregular amount of hard hits in its short life...despite being less stable, unlike the Nuke it still has a perfect shape.

Interesting... It would appear Avery got his signature disc:

859-large.jpg

Latest posts