• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A TD's solution to litter!

MikePinchico

Double Eagle Member
I'm not a fan of people throwing trash on the course so I came up with a solution. During players meetings I pre warn people that if they litter they will be penalized. I state that my current warning (during the players meeting) covers your initial warning and proceed to stroke on the first sign of littering.
I know that a majority of tourney players are not the problem when it come to littering but my rule let's people know that I'm serious. I am no rule Nazi but littering on the course is unacceptable. Respect the tourney, respect the course, don't play my tourneys if you cannot find a trash can! I have had nothing but positive feedback on my stance I hope you can spread it to your area.

I'm not a fan of people throwing trash on the course so I came up with a solution. During players meetings I pre warn people that if they litter they will be penalized. I state that my current warning (during the players meeting) covers your initial warning and proceed to stroke on the first sign of littering.
I know that a majority of tourney players are not the problem when it come to littering but my rule let's people know that I'm serious. I am no rule Nazi but littering on the course is unacceptable. Respect the tourney, respect the course, don't play my tourneys if you cannot find a trash can! I have had nothing but positive feedback on my stance I hope you can spread it to your area.

I don't think you can pre warn someone before they have committed an infraction. I applaud your stance but I think your execution is akin to starting a round by telling people that you're going to be a stickler on foot faults and then stroking them on their first fault.

This is a great idea and while it may not be the tournament players who do the littering, they may play with some folks who do and pass on that the people who run things won't put up with the blatant disrespect they're showing for all the work put into the course to make it playable and beautiful for everyone who steps foot out there.

For one of our local tourneys up here the TD will not only do what you are talking about, but he will also not alow people to come back if they leave a mess in their campsite. One person did it last year and he will not be invited back this year.

Littering is a DQ per the rule book, no need to mess around with warnings or penalty strokes. Do TDs even read the rules these days? :doh:

Littering is a DQ per the rule book, no need to mess around with warnings or penalty strokes. Do TDs even read the rules these days? :doh:
Maybe you are the one that needs to read the rules. :doh:
801.04 Courtesy

Players should not throw until they are certain that the thrown disc will not distract another player or potentially injure anyone present.

Players should watch the other members of their group throw in order to aid in locating errant throws and to ensure compliance with the rules.

Players should take care not to produce any auditory or visual distractions while other players are throwing. Distracting actions include: shouting, cursing, freestyling, striking course equipment, throwing out of turn, throwing or kicking golf bags, throwing minis, and advancing on the fairway beyond the away player. Shouting at an appropriate time to warn someone in danger of being struck by a disc is not a courtesy violation.

Refusal to perform an action expected by the rules, such as assisting in the search for a lost disc, moving discs or equipment, or keeping score properly, is a courtesy violation.

Littering is a courtesy violation.

Courtesy dictates that players who smoke should not allow their smoke to disturb other players. Disposing of a cigarette butt by dropping it on the ground is littering.

A player violating a courtesy rule may be warned by any affected player, even if from another group, or by an official. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent courtesy violation of any type in the same round. Repeated violations of courtesy rules may result in disqualification in accordance with Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual.

F that it used to be an auto DQ. I'd still DQ anyone who littered an event I was running, since I consider it abuse of the property.

If it's unsanctioned you could make up whatever rules you want...

Kick it up a notch, offer a prize to whoever gathers the most litter throughout the day.

A local Facebook disc golf group has random course clean up days. Some one picks a course and posts about it, they show up for a casual round and leave with a few bags of litter.
This isn't connected to any DG club just random local golfers on Facebook. :thmbup:

Kick it up a notch, offer a prize to whoever gathers the most litter throughout the day.

I have played in a couple local tournaments where a nice disc is up for grabs for most litter collected. I was a great cigarette butt clean up for a pretty clean course to begin with. This is a better positive approach to the same problem. :thmbup:

that's a grand idea for unsanctioned tourneys. heck, maybe sanctioned even.

I don't think you can pre warn someone before they have committed an infraction.

Really? What do you think a speed limit sign is?:doh:

Any of those ideas sound good---penalty, DQ, prizes for most trash picked up. Unfortunately, its not usually a lot of the tourney players doing the littering, but the day-to-day chuckers and other park users.

Any and all work for me. I hate people who trash courses/the outdoors in any way.

if you like it or not, some liter on the course is left behind by mistake/not on purpose. If someone sets a water down while they mark their disc and throw, then mistakenly leaves the water after the disc crashes into the chains,,,,its way way different then someone just not caring and throwing thrash on the ground with purpose. You are penalizing them the same (or trying to). Very bad idea, you just need to accept that some trash will exist, even with the most careful players.

if you like it or not, some liter on the course is left behind by mistake/not on purpose. If someone sets a water down while they mark their disc and throw, then mistakenly leaves the water after the disc crashes into the chains,,,,its way way different then someone just not caring and throwing thrash on the ground with purpose. You are penalizing them the same (or trying to). Very bad idea, you just need to accept that some trash will exist, even with the most careful players.

100% disagree with you, pay attention and it won't happen.

Really? What do you think a speed limit sign is?:doh:

Any of those ideas sound good---penalty, DQ, prizes for most trash picked up. Unfortunately, its not usually a lot of the tourney players doing the littering, but the day-to-day chuckers and other park users.

A speed limit sign isn't a disc golf rule.:doh: In disc golf if you are going to penalize someone you have to use disc golf rules :doh: You could call littering a courtesy violation in order to penalize someone but according to the disc golf rule book a courtesy violation requires that the first offense is a warning.:doh: You can't just make up rules because you think they are a good idea. :doh: Maybe you should try to understand the rules being discussed before you try and make someone else's statement seem stupid.