• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

One of the locals traded me for a norcal vs socal roc3. I think I still owe him some plastic.

Threw my perfectly beat star firebird up into a tall tree today. Sad story. Heading back out tomorrow with the ole' trusty slingshot.

Being a firebird lover myself I have a question. Are all the Glow Champion Firebirds super flat or does the dome vary quite a bit from disc to disc?

Being a firebird lover myself I have a question. Are all the Glow Champion Firebirds super flat or does the dome vary quite a bit from disc to disc?

The dome definitely varied a year or two ago, but most of the ones made today are flat. It all depends on which stock of Firebirds you're picking from.

Thanks for the info. I found someone selling a couple of nice Glow Firebirds so I guess I will have to ask for a pic of the dome on them. Would you say that the super flat and stiff 12X's are just as overstable as the 11X firebirds and the Glows? I was out of the game for 8 years and gave away most of my plastic to new players including some 11X firebirds which only left me with one so I am looking for a similar flying Firebird to stock up on.

Thanks for the info. I found someone selling a couple of nice Glow Firebirds so I guess I will have to ask for a pic of the dome on them. Would you say that the super flat and stiff 12X's are just as overstable as the 11X firebirds and the Glows? I was out of the game for 8 years and gave away most of my plastic to new players including some 11X firebirds which only left me with one so I am looking for a similar flying Firebird to stock up on.

The flat top 12x FBs are as overstable as the glows for sure. I don't think the 11x FBs are as overstable as the 12x flat tops.

Alright, gentlemen. Help a brotha out. I'm building my bag from the bottom up and I have arrived at an important stopgap: the overstable speed 9/10 utility/distance driver. Right now be have an SP Tsunami. I like it. It's good. I could get a Proline tsunami and be covered for headwind distance as well as utility, but I have more confidence in a faf firebird for utility. It feels better in the hand.

So, firebird lovers, tell me if I would be better served getting a champ for utility use and then cycling dx firebirds as a good windy day driver when my champ eagle isn't up to snuff? I figure it could be essentially the same as a predator. Will that infamous dx glide allow me to drive a seasoned dx firebird far into a headwind?

I would suggest a Star Firebird to compliment your champ, but a DX would probably work just as well if you prefer that plastic type. The only thing is that you don't really want a lot of glide when you're dealing with a headwind. C-Pd is also a great compliment to a FAF Firebird. That's what I use:)

I was actually using pd for a while and as much as I like them i decided to move on. :( I also love the Olf! I prefer it to the pd, but I saw in a couple threads waaaaaay way back that some had success cycling the dx bird. I'm on a pseudo-cycle kick and it's working great, throwing a lot of dx or base line plastic. I love it. Was hoping a seasoned dx fb would be comparable to a predator or the cpd or even a qolf. :)

Alright, gentlemen. Help a brotha out. I'm building my bag from the bottom up and I have arrived at an important stopgap: the overstable speed 9/10 utility/distance driver. Right now be have an SP Tsunami. I like it. It's good. I could get a Proline tsunami and be covered for headwind distance as well as utility, but I have more confidence in a faf firebird for utility. It feels better in the hand.

So, firebird lovers, tell me if I would be better served getting a champ for utility use and then cycling dx firebirds as a good windy day driver when my champ eagle isn't up to snuff? I figure it could be essentially the same as a predator. Will that infamous dx glide allow me to drive a seasoned dx firebird far into a headwind?

Don't forget the FL, still overstable but a bit more workable than a flat firebird

I would suggest a Star Firebird to compliment your champ, but a DX would probably work just as well if you prefer that plastic type. The only thing is that you don't really want a lot of glide when you're dealing with a headwind. C-Pd is also a great compliment to a FAF Firebird. That's what I use:)

star firebirds are where it is at! I like them in the mid 160's. I keep one beat to snot and one freshy in my bag. These along with a faf champ bird and I am good to go no matter how hard the wind is blowing (until I have to putt).

Hmm. Looks like I'll have some stuff to try. Hopefully the dx or star will beat into something like a cpd or spd. I'll probably start with a dx just to see how it goes. if it goes too fast I'll pick up a star and obviously a champ for permanent duty once the star or dx beats in. saw jenb and someone else start threads specifically for this question; hopefully they can chime in too. Someone else said it took them a couple years to do a fb cycle just with dx, so we'll have to see.

Try a C PD, or maybe one of the new champ flat FL's. A flat star FB isnt a bad option either. I like the CPD for shots like youre talking about tho. If you look hard enough you can find very OS SPDs and they are awesome too, a little more workable, but hard to find without picking through a stack

star firebirds are where it is at! I like them in the mid 160's. I keep one beat to snot and one freshy in my bag. These along with a faf champ bird and I am good to go no matter how hard the wind is blowing (until I have to putt).

Exactly what I do. Except I like them a little heavier.

Ideas much appreciated ; i actually used the cpd and spd and ppd trio as my driver setup for quite a while. The cpd was a great windy day driver. I liked it, but picking through pd is a pain. There is too much variance, especially spd. though I am seeing more and more good cpd at stores now, which is nice. :) This is going to be a firebird experiment. :) it seems not too many have tried this, so it will be fun. I will let you guys know how the dx beats in after a while. Thank you for the suggestions.

Kodachrome, DX def beats in fast. I use a FAF 12X 175g paired with a star in the upper 160g range. After about 6mo of tomahawks and thumbers my star now goes very straight in headwind. My DX got flippier after a couple weeks. I started with dx because my overhand was not powerful enough to reliably roll the FAF fb. I really think star is great compromise/compliment.

FWIW, read a bunch on the PD thread ans was surprised to see you moving away from them. I was curious about them as a longer fb, but now my star has broken into what I wanted.

FWIW, read a bunch on the PD thread ans was surprised to see you moving away from them. I was curious about them as a longer fb, but now my star has broken into what I wanted.

CPD are great - they are longer than the firebird, but they are not a longer firebird unless you get the CFR CPD. i'm on a base plastic kick right now and i've been just blown away by how well my dx teebirds and eagles do - they're even okay in a bit of headwind. when it kicks up more, i have a star and a champ eagle i'm working on to see which one i like more. so i thought "hey, why not try a firebird in the same fashion?"

as far as the PD, the QOLF booted it instantly because each and every 1.3 qolf i bought flew exactly like my favorite SPDs - straight, long and a dependable fade. they just soak up the power and fly longer. but if i can just use a dx firebird and season it slowly and find out if it acts similar, that will be even better. it's more for kicks and giggles really; i'm seeing if i can mold minimize by using a seasoned FB as more of a workhorse windy day driver. if it doesn't work then i'll just throw my champ banshee and my SP tsunami - both can do utility work at different ranges and the SP will drive well into a headwind.

i'll definitely check out a star, thanks for your recommendation.

I'm doing the same experiment with DX firebirds in then @ 159. They have that same glidey flight that DX gives you in other molds, which sort of surprised me. If you can stomach how it looks after blasting into solid objects DX firebirds are awesome. I have my doubts they will physically last long enough to break in unless I use them for shots that I know will be safe from said objects. They feel and fly completely differet than champs or stars, which is why they're so great. Good luck!