• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

the beat dx firebird has too much fade at the end for my liking. it would turn more than a beat sidewinder but then have the fb fade at the end. when i have turnovers i like small fade. just my opinion. they glide alright def, but find a 6/10 in the MP. i personally think star does just fine for me. it goes from new to beat too quick. and i love my overstables to hold the os spot for a while otherwise i feel like i shoulda just bought a viking or something

buy an x out and post the results. i would like to see it!

The FAF 12x firebird is quickly becoming my favorite disc in the bag. No glide, backhand or forehand you know where it will go. I'm talking spike hyzers all day. Skips, tommys, and utility too, possibly the best disc to have at your disposal.

The age of the flying brick has begun.

Last edited:
The FAF 12x firebird is quickly becoming my favorite disc in the bag. No glide, backhand or forehand you know where it will go. I'm talking spike hyzers all day. Skips, tommys, and utility too, possibly the best disc to have at your disposal.

The age of the flying brick has begun.

:hfive: I just picked up a 172g yellow at GGGT. I've seen two by fours with more dome. Excited.

Does anyone know the story behind the Champ Firebirds that are stamped with flight numbers but no signature? They are much softer/flexible than the newer 12x runs. They have pat#s and are marked "F"...I suspect they are late 11x era w/ a newer stamp but I'm not totally sure. Can anyone clear this up? They are fantastic throwers.

Does anyone know the story behind the Champ Firebirds that are stamped with flight numbers but no signature? They are much softer/flexible than the newer 12x runs. They have pat#s and are marked "F"...I suspect they are late 11x era w/ a newer stamp but I'm not totally sure. Can anyone clear this up? They are fantastic throwers.

I have a lot of the KC sig lineup of premium plastic molds show up like that. The run appeard very briefly in stores between the no flight numbers 12x stamps and the jump man style kc signature stamp with flight numbers.

I have personally seen firebirds, teebirds, and one star wraith stamped this way ( with the innova swoosh logo on top, the disc name in the middle, and the flight numbers under the disc name and no KC signature ) If its desired, I think I have a Tbird in the stash stamped like this and I can throw a picture up.

These discs didn't feel like JL plastic at all, so I would speculate that they are they same batch of plastic as 12x old school signature stamped discs. I would also speculate, that based on the rarity of me seeing them at Innova East warehouse, that these were stamped West Coast, explaining why I haven't seen very many. That or this was a really small run.

Last edited:
I'm a new FB thrower but a seasoned DGer. I wanted a driver that was a speed 9 and stable (OS). Obvious choice. I have used the FB with great success as it is so OD that it cuts right when you know it will. RHBH and hooking left around trees, or for power forehand. And lot of trouble shots and thumbers. I really like it as it does what its meant to do. Its not my go to disc, its not a disc I T off with often unless it's a clear hook shot. But I really dig the FB. I dont recommend it for new players or players that are RHBH and looking for distance...its not that disc....but it is a good OverStable speed 9 that can do a lot of things other discs dont do....that is HOOK. so for getting around trouble its a great disc.

Innova
Distance: Destroyer
Fairway: Teebird
Mid: Roc
Putter: Aviar P&A/BB Aviar

Discraft
Distance: Nuke
Fairway: Predator
Mid: Buzzz
Putter: Magnet/Challenger

DGA
Distance: Hurricane
Fairway: Tsunami
Mid: Squall
Putter: Breaker

Legacy
Distance: Cannon
Fairway: Rival
Mid: Ghost
Putter: Clozer

Lat
Distance: Havoc
Fairway: River
Mid: Mace
Putter: Pure

Westside
Distance: Giant
Fairway: Stag
Mid: Warship
Putter: Swan 2

DD
Distance: Trespass
Fairway: Escape
Mid: Truth
Putter: Judge

Discmania
Distance: PD2
Fairway: PD
Mid: MD2
Putter: P2

Prodigy
Distance: D1/D4
Fairway: ???
Mid: M3
Putter: PA1/PA4

MVP
Fairway: Volt
Mid: Vector
Putter: Ion

Vibram
Distance: Lace
Fairway: Ascent
Mid: Ibex
Putter: VP

Gateway
Distance: Spirit
Fairway: Sabre
Mid: Demon
Putter: Wizard

I have a lot of the KC sig lineup of premium plastic molds show up like that. The run appeard very briefly in stores between the no flight numbers 12x stamps and the jump man style kc signature stamp with flight numbers.

I have personally seen firebirds, teebirds, and one star wraith stamped this way ( with the innova swoosh logo on top, the disc name in the middle, and the flight numbers under the disc name and no KC signature ) If its desired, I think I have a Tbird in the stash stamped like this and I can throw a picture up.

These discs didn't feel like JL plastic at all, so I would speculate that they are they same batch of plastic as 12x old school signature stamped discs. I would also speculate, that based on the rarity of me seeing them at Innova East warehouse, that these were stamped West Coast, explaining why I haven't seen very many. That or this was a really small run.

Yeah, I've seen other KC molds w/o the stamp too. I was really curious if these could be 11x stock since they have pat#s and are marked "F".

I'm a new FB thrower but a seasoned DGer. I wanted a driver that was a speed 9 and stable (OS). Obvious choice. I have used the FB with great success as it is so OD that it cuts right when you know it will. RHBH and hooking left around trees, or for power forehand. And lot of trouble shots and thumbers. I really like it as it does what its meant to do. Its not my go to disc, its not a disc I T off with often unless it's a clear hook shot. But I really dig the FB. I dont recommend it for new players or players that are RHBH and looking for distance...its not that disc....but it is a good OverStable speed 9 that can do a lot of things other discs dont do....that is HOOK. so for getting around trouble its a great disc.

You'd also struggle to find a better disc for forehand rollers as well. Probably the best utility disc out there...

so i was throwing the dx firebird today and found it to be pretty workable, yet definitely still OS. i like it. i'm not sure if it could replace my QOLFs after seasoning, but i threw a flex shot on my "measuring stick" hole at kaposia and ended pin-high. it was pretty cool, i never throw flex shots unless i need to get out of trouble. maybe i'll start doing it more. i could see a FB/OLF combo working out well for me.

Super love the Firebird. I have a 175 Champ that I throw constantly. Probably my most consistent driver with so much accuracy on the flick.

I need about 10 more I love them so much.

So all you Firebird guys need to help me out, right?
I've been needing to add a really OS utility to my bag for sometime now. It has really just been between the xXx and the FB. But all of these sweet birds have made my mind up. Thanks! But I have no idea how to start out weight wise, what run, plastic, anything. So I guess my question is, what Bird to start out with? Not looking to spend much on one, actually it'd be nice if I could trade for one. I have a bunch of throwers so I'd be up for trading multiples for one. That's beside the point though.

For reference, I throw Teebirds about 315 and Wraith about 340 on max D shots. Golf shots thought are more like 290 and 320.

Thanks guys!

I find threads like this fascinating. I cannot imagine ever throwing a firebird. I would be scared it would hit me in the left ear at some point.

^^ i have a noodle arm but bag at least two firechickens at all times.. i cant throw them far but for what i need them for they excel.. FH shots, OH shots, fh rollers, bh skips, bh shots that MUST go left, windy days, etc. .. its just the all around utility disc

I've been needing to add a really OS utility to my bag for sometime now. It has really just been between the xXx and the FB. But all of these sweet birds have made my mind up. Thanks! But I have no idea how to start out weight wise, what run, plastic, anything. So I guess my question is, what Bird to start out with? Not looking to spend much on one, actually it'd be nice if I could trade for one. I have a bunch of throwers so I'd be up for trading multiples for one. That's beside the point though.

For reference, I throw Teebirds about 315 and Wraith about 340 on max D shots. Golf shots thought are more like 290 and 320.

Thanks guys!

I think it depends on what you plan on using them for.

If you're looking for a utility driver for overhand, thumbers, forehand rollers, throwing into a hurricane, get a flat champ firebird. (these also come in 150class if ur into that sort of thing)

If you just want a hard fade from a backhand or good forehand, try a domey champ or Star. Still beefy, but throwable and easy to find.

I think Dx firebirds are great for beginners or slower arm speeds. My wife throws a 150 dx firebird for her overstable driver spot. It's very dependable for her.

Everyone should have a firebird in their bag…………

Everyone.

I carry a 170 star FB for most "standard" OS shots, meaning when the disc needs to fly and spin as normal. It isn't so meaty that it comes back at me. A 175 champ FAF FB on the other hand is more than I can handle fore- or backhanded but I use it for true utility shots. My longest and most predictable overhand thumber/tommy and overhand roller disc ever.

I have an Early 12x firebird. Flat as a board, slightly gummy and flexible, got it as part of my winnings in the first tournament I played in. I was actually playing with some guys one time who loved 11x firebirds and they picked it up.. One looked at me and said "niiiiice" before handing it to the other guy who had the same reaction. I asked why, and they seriously thought it was an 11x. It's been in my bag close to 3 years and it's still a beautiful flyer. I can put it on big hyzers, FH rollers, short thumbers, or put a lot of torque on it for a really nice S curve that fades hard no matter what. It's so reliable it's awesome. Only problem is I have a feeling I might not ever find another one like it without spending a bunch of money. Have a flat topped glow that just a overstable monster, but it is not as nice as my champ.

I have an Early 12x firebird. Flat as a board, slightly gummy and flexible, got it as part of my winnings in the first tournament I played in. I was actually playing with some guys one time who loved 11x firebirds and they picked it up.. One looked at me and said "niiiiice" before handing it to the other guy who had the same reaction. I asked why, and they seriously thought it was an 11x. It's been in my bag close to 3 years and it's still a beautiful flyer. I can put it on big hyzers, FH rollers, short thumbers, or put a lot of torque on it for a really nice S curve that fades hard no matter what. It's so reliable it's awesome. Only problem is I have a feeling I might not ever find another one like it without spending a bunch of money. Have a flat topped glow that just a overstable monster, but it is not as nice as my champ.

try a flattish star firebird. I used to worry about finding gummy champs but now I throw stars because they are awesome.

Thanks guys!

If u can find an 11x firebird those are the best. If not one of the new flat 12x's will work

Latest posts