• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

Anyone mess with lighter weight Champion Firebirds? Something like in the lower 160's. Everyone is hungry for the super beef/max weight/FAF Firebirds but about the light weights?

Star fb's in the 162-166 range are such a great disc. They actually have glide, but all the reliable stability and fade.

I think alot of people dog get the "FAF" that run is more sought after because the Firm than the Flatness. I mean bricks. These things are insanely stiff champion blends. Which are absolutely beef cakes. I have had a number of 11x firechickens and none of them are as close to the ridged stiffness of that run. It was almost like a pre Jolly launcher kinda thing. I have also seen what I swear is the same plastic blends on some of the early Large Circle stamp Eagles the proshop released a few years ago. Just bricks.

yeah my buddy has a flat firm 12x eagle that his beef.

Wait, do people think that FAF stands for "Firm And Flat"?
I can see where one could get that impression with the 12x run, and I may be wrong on this, but I recall the lame domey birds from circa 2011, and when the nice ones started popping up, the question was a sceptical, "are they really flat?" and the answer being an emphatic, oh yeah, they're "Flat as F***!"
It was an exciting time.

Wait, do people think that FAF stands for "Firm And Flat"?
I can see where one could get that impression with the 12x run, and I may be wrong on this, but I recall the lame domey birds from circa 2011, and when the nice ones started popping up, the question was a sceptical, "are they really flat?" and the answer being an emphatic, oh yeah, they're "Flat as F***!"
It was an exciting time.

That might have been the answer in your neck of the woods, but FAF does in fact mean flat and firm :p

So a new Dgcr rule shall be made.

FAF= Flat as F***
SAS= Stiff as S***

lets see if that sticks :D and send me all your FAF SAS Firebirds.

I think there needs to be a distinguishing factor between the Flat and FIrm 12x. And anything else that is just 'flat'. Until those flat firms came out, FAF didn't even exist.

I think there needs to be a distinguishing factor between the Flat and FIrm 12x. And anything else that is just 'flat'. Until those flat firms came out, FAF didn't even exist.

That's not true.

I've had CE and 11x's that are board flat.

There is a Distinction to me between what some call FAF and a true FAF, and it has little to do with firmness(though that probably helps the shape). It's the ones where not only is the fight plate flat, but the wing is too. I have two in my bag right now that are flat topped and very Os, but a slight shoulder and I would not say they are FAF.

True 12x FAF were made with an opaque plastic, so no pearly, clear, metal flake, jolly launcher, etc... The 11x I have seen are made with the same opaque plastic. You can find very flat firebirds in other plastic runs, but none of them will be as stiff or beefy.

True 12x FAF were made with an opaque plastic, so no pearly, clear, metal flake, jolly launcher, etc... The 11x I have seen are made with the same opaque plastic. You can find very flat firebirds in other plastic runs, but none of them will be as stiff or beefy.

I know the run of which you speak, I've got two of them left and they cycle in and out of the bag to reduce the chances of losing them.

I have a nice Firm but slightly domey Champ and I'm wondering what the difference between it and a true FAF are in terms of flight.

I have a nice Firm but slightly domey Champ and I'm wondering what the difference between it and a true FAF are in terms of flight.

A flat Firebird will glide less and fade harder. Ridiculously beefy. A regular firebird wont be as OS (but still certainly OS), and will still glide. I bag both, the regular firebird being my go-to, and a flat-top for more of utility disc. Both are absolutely badass.

I love a couple of flat Firebirds as my main drivers because they're super stable and you can count on them exactly every time. I do keep a slightly domed star plastic one, in my bag and I use it mainly for backhands the need to finish hard or turnovers. We can Heiser flip on the forehand pretty good too.

Overall, I have found that to me there are four general Firebird shapes, and the only ones I don't care for our the very DOmy ones that typically show up in DX or rarely, star plastic.

Some of the Domier champ and star ones are actually pretty good discs, but I don't buy those usually because they are not exactly what I want the Firebird to be, but they fit more in with an average intermediate to advanced player with what they need for a wind fighter so there still a good place for it.