• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am Worlds 2011 - Rochester NY

2 World Champs, 1 small town

local to me Kenny G sitting 3 strokes out of first. Bring it to Illinois, and more so, JOLIET!!!!

2011 AM World Champ is indeed from IL this year! :thmbup:
Congrats Kenny!!! :hfive:

Also from Gurnee, IL is the U19 Champ, Steven Jacobs! :thmbup:
Congrats Steven!!!

Augusta, GA won the two oldest titles. All that practice on "gimmick holes" at Hippodrome and the Championship courses at the IDGC.

Augusta, GA won the two oldest titles. All that practice on "gimmick holes" at Hippodrome and the Championship courses at the IDGC.

You sure it was the practice? I figured it was because he was like 150 rating points higher than his closest competition. The spirit of Ted Williams contacted me while I was dozing for a nap and called him out. Ted said he was going to request that Pete come back as a dung beetle for his next life.:sick:

Rube, I'm home on the couch. I'll take a beer though.

CraigWesnofske - You sure it was the practice? I figured it was because he was like 150 rating points higher than his closest competition.
How did they get those ratings?

Why is it surprising that there might be a dominant player in an age range? Pete has played as an amateur since 2006 and he believes in amateur disc golf as head of the Collegiate Championships. You'll see more and more of this happening as the illusion of being a pro is crumbling. I'm thinking about reverting to Am status as a 58 year old in preparation for playing Sr GM in the 2013 Am Worlds. Sr GM Champ, Hornsby's rating is higher than mine. I already enter half of my events in an Amateur division.

Why is it surprising that there might be a dominant player in an age range? Pete has played as an amateur since 2006 and he believes in amateur disc golf as head of the Collegiate Championships. You'll see more and more of this happening as the illusion of being a pro is crumbling. I'm thinking about reverting to Am status as a 58 year old in preparation for playing Sr GM in the 2013 Am Worlds. Sr GM Champ, Hornsby's rating is higher than mine. I already enter half of my events in an Amateur division.

I would have figured with that much integrity and love for the game and his competitors he would have just stayed pro in what was already a minimially small division that he was already one of the best in. Just my .02, but I would highly doubt I'm alone in my opinions.

There are examples of other players named Peter who could have moved up after winning one or two or three World titles in their age bracket. But those who are at that level don't see it that way as "cherry picking" if in fact they qualify for that division. We're not at that level so it's hard to judge that negatively like you wouldn't do it, too, if you could.

We've discussed the pros and cons of testing a future Worlds format where Open Pros and Ams would play at one venue and Masters/Jrs Pro & Am at another. That would allow guys like Climo to play for the Master title and Open title for the first time because they would be on different dates. I think he and Barry and some other Open players who would be Master age by then would do it because it's allowed and they are competitors.

There are examples of other players named Peter who could have moved up after winning one or two or three World titles in their age bracket. But those who are at that level don't see it that way as "cherry picking" if in fact they qualify for that division. We're not at that level so it's hard to judge that negatively like you wouldn't do it, too, if you could.

We've discussed the pros and cons of testing a future Worlds format where Open Pros and Ams would play at one venue and Masters/Jrs Pro & Am at another. That would allow guys like Climo to play for the Master title and Open title for the first time because they would be on different dates. I think he and Barry and some other Open players who would be Master age by then would do it because it's allowed and they are competitors.

So you are saying that Bagger May did this because he was tired of coming in second to Peter Shive. You should post this on the pdga site to get some other older perspectives on it. I bet that would be priceless.

And BTW, Shive is STILL a pro, although I agree that he is good enough to play up in a more competitive pro division. This is also true of Greenwell, Voakes, etc., with the main difference for May being that he completely "screwed the integrity of the sport"!:thmbdown:

Last edited:
What integrity? All we really have is Players. That's what the P in PDGA really stands for. Few Pros, few Ams, but mostly Players who play for cash and Players who play for merch. Pete at least acted with good conscience in his belief that this is an amateur sport and reclassified as an Am in late 2006 when he had that realization. He followed that up creating the 100% amateur Collegiate Championships which has no payout and does not allow pros even though some of the best college players played for cash at some point in PDGA events before this. (Feldberg, Jenkins for two). Some loss of integrity, eh?

What integrity? All we really have is Players. That's what the P in PDGA really stands for. Few Pros, few Ams, but mostly Players who play for cash and Players who play for merch. Pete at least acted with good conscience in his belief that this is an amateur sport and reclassified as an Am in late 2006 when he had that realization. He followed that up creating the 100% amateur Collegiate Championships which has no payout and does not allow pros even though some of the best college players played for cash at some point in PDGA events before this. (Feldberg, Jenkins for two). Some loss of integrity, eh?

I still think my assessment is more accurate, but hey, we are comparing Peter's so I'm just gonna be OK with my opinion. 100% bad form Mr. May.:thmbdown:

w00t! to World Champs from IL. Stellar job Kenny and Steven.

I just jumped in the Genessee River and found a 150 sidewinder. When I called the number it was a guy from Southern Maryland that I have played doubles with. It would have been really embarrassing if I kept the disc with out calling and he saw me using it.

I found 2 discs at shorewinds today, 1 at Parma, and 2 at Genesee Valley park.

"I just jumped in the Genessee River..."

There used to be a time when, if you did such, you'd have come down with the bubonic plague or typhoid or something else evil :gross: . Glad to see they've cleaned it up over the last 30 years!

Karl

Worlds was a great time. It was fun to play Semi's on the 3rd card with 3 Charlotte guys, Me, Paul (Whiz), and David Weaver. Paul shot well...and missed a 15' putt!!!! Weaves made 3-4 40' putts too. It was fun DG. Im really proud of Paul, Weaves, and Spinthrift they played great.

Latest posts