• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am Worlds 2011 - Rochester NY

Rochester has claimed they want to host up to 700. So it's probably not a problem. Disc golfers that get invited are notoriously late at entering before the 60-day deadline so no divisions have been filled before those not invited have a chance to enter.
700!?!? Awesome. Rochester is boasting 7 courses during the week of play over Marion's 6, so that would definitely make room for another 100 players at least. Open registration this year started May 4 at midnight, I ended up signing up at 3am because my pdga membership was registering fast enough lol.

is there a date yet?
According to the PDGA website the date for the 2011 Am Worlds is TBD. I'm gonna imagine it will start on the final Monday of June like it did this year and finish in the first few days of July if it has to.

I can't wait until Rochester gets some more things figured out. I want to know where they plan on having the final 9, whether it's going to be on the 9 hole course. Sawyer Park or if they're going to do something different for it like they did in Marion putting a portable 9 up on the OSU campus.

I'm also super stoked for the Flymart again. Last year I wasn't nearly prepared for it and this year I plan on having both the room in my car and the funds in my wallet to walk away happy lol.

As I said, I want to go camping again this year. Hopefully the weather gods will smile down on us all this year and NOT rain Sunday night as I'm setting my tent up or while we're starting our morning rounds.

Anyone have highlights from 2010 or previous years they want to see around again this year? Something different you want to see?

According to the PDGA website the date for the 2011 Am Worlds is TBD. I'm gonna imagine it will start on the final Monday of June like it did this year and finish in the first few days of July if it has to.

Bad assumption. PDGA lists this as Tue-Sat, Jul 26-30, 2011. See the link in post #4 of this discussion.

Bad assumption. PDGA lists this as Tue-Sat, Jul 26-30, 2011. See the link in post #4 of this discussion.

I clicked that link and all it said was TBD in the Events and Major Events link and on the World Championships page it just says 2011. Where did you find definitive dates?

Well for one they're sure as sh!t not going to use Sawye Park seeing as its in the poorest form of any of the other courses in Rochester - I'm assuming - keyword; assuming - they will use; Widener/Baker Farm, Parma DGC, Monroe Community College DGC, Ellison DGC, Basil-Marella DGC, and perhaps Brockport/Sweden Town Park DGC - Those are the top 5 in no particular order - on the camping aspect - I might open my backyard to any friendly travellers who'd like to pitch a tent - ain't much room, but enough for 2-3 big tents, plus I only live 3 mins from Basil-Marella, and 10 mins from Parma DGC, the other 3 aren't more than 20 mins away either.

I would love to live that close to the world championship. Would you be interested in a meet up in early spring so I can get a walk through of the courses before worlds?

700!?!? Awesome. Rochester is boasting 7 courses during the week of play over Marion's 6, so that would definitely make room for another 100 players at least. Open registration this year started May 4 at midnight, I ended up signing up at 3am because my pdga membership was registering fast enough lol.

I've heard rumors that they are going to try and run this on only 6 courses... Had a tournament there and the 30 intermediates took 3.5 hrs to play Parma... Gonna be some long days out there.

I'd say 92 invites for Am Worlds is off by more than 2700:
http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/10AmWorldsInvites-Alphabetical.pdf

Yeah I saw the same thing - Here's a breakdown of the invitees for 2010

Criteria # 1 1623
Top Point earners on 2009 PDGA Tour:
Automatic Qualification: MA1 1000 pts, MM1 400 pts, MG1 100 pts, FW1 25 pts, FM1 25 pts, MJ1 300 pts, MJ2 200 pts, FJ1 10 pts, FJ2 10 pts.

Criteria # 2 740
Other players who finished in the Top 25% of Points earners within their State/Province:
Minimum Standards: MA1 500 pts, MM1 200 pts, MG1 50 pts, FW1 15 pts, FM1 15 pts, MJ1 150 pts, MJ2 100 pts

Criteria # 3 90
Younger Divisions - all male and female Amateur members born 1996 or later who played in a Tour event in 2009.

Criteria # 4 86
Senior Divisions - all male Amateur members born 1949 or earlier & all female
Amateur members born 1959 or earlier who played in a Tour event in 2009.

Criteria # 5 266
International - all current Overseas Amateur members (country not in list USA, Canada) who completed a Tour event in 2009.

Total Invited : 2805

This year was the first time in the past three I was not invited (got hurt early in 2009) but it was the first time I could actually attend. I registered the day after the open registration began.

Hoping to make one more trip to Am World's next year - Will be looking at a 10 Hour drive from Lexington but should be fun.

woops

I'd say 92 invites for Am Worlds is off by more than 2700:
http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/10AmWorldsInvites-Alphabetical.pdf

guess what i was looking at back in may was either something completely different or the excitement of my first tournament being the am worlds in my backyard must've made me think something else. oh well, i was wrong.

So since i will be 20 this december the only division i can play in is advanced?

that is... correct! (chris farley FTW).

yeah you can only play in Adv. Unless you could make yourself look old and play in the legends division and just own.

Grandmasters is the division you forgot.

Don't forget there will be the Am version of the USDGC as a big event next year planned for October.

Latest posts