• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am Worlds 2011 - Rochester NY

So from what I've read it sounds like the number of people who ACCEPT the invitations is key. Is this correct? I'd like to play, but I've never played any tour events; my only tournament experience is PDGA C tier with the National Collegiate Championships being the lone exception at A-tier.

Two questions for those who know a lot more than me...:

1) Do I have to wait until next year after people accept/decline bids to know if there will be room for me?

2) Do we need to earn some number of points via the PDGA system to be eligible?

Thanks in advance! The drive from PA would be well worth it to play with the best out there.

1) Do I have to wait until next year after people accept/decline bids to know if there will be room for me?
Yes. This year the registration opened to the general disc golf public at midnight on May 4th. I would expect it to be sometime around then next year as well. Once they open the registration to everyone, it's a free for all until either registration ends or slots fill up.

2) Do we need to earn some number of points via the PDGA system to be eligible?
Not that I'm aware of. Unless they change it up for next year. I joined the PDGA on May 3rd and signed up for Am Worlds on May 4th with no problems.

Thanks in advance! The drive from PA would be well worth it to play with the best out there.
I'm driving from NE OH. Where in PA you from? I didn't even look at your stats yet.

Thanks for the update, Smooth Sailor. I'm from the PA/NJ border, so I'll be coming from the other side. Definitely looking forward to this, too. The National Collegiate Championships in the spring and this in the summer will be great.

Yeah, I'll be hosting a series of monthly charity tournaments at my local course until April and then in June I will be hosting a 2 day C Tier at the same course and then in July Worlds. Lots to look forward to next year :).

The charity tournaments will each have their own disc printed for them and then a disc will be printed for the whole series (5 total). There will be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for each tournament and an overall 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

The C Tier will be 2 rounds on Saturday and a finals round on Sunday.

And then a week for worlds! :D

PM me in early spring and I'll show you and tell you everything you want/need to see or know about all of these courses.

I know this is still 9 months away, but anyone else as excited about Am Worlds in Rochester as I am?

I AM!!! I'm in albany only 3.5 hrs away and I plan on camping with my pop up at Hamlin beach. July can't come soon enough!!

If you are at hamlin beach, you can play shore winds and sweden town park, they are close and will not be as crowded as near by Parma.

While Shorewinds and Brockport aren't bad, the traffic at Parma/Widener Park isn't very bad at all, even on a day when the courses are packed with players I've never had to slow down or even skip a group when playing.

This sounds like it's going to be awesome. I was camping at Riverbend Campgrounds this year for worlds. It was less than 5 miles away from Worlds HQ at OSU Marion, had a nice 9 hole course installed, there wasn't anyone there who was playing other than me and the 10 and under champ Bob Bryant, so there wasn't any kind of waiting around to get through rounds. Probably played an extra 5 rounds on that course every day between my morning warm up and playing before dark after the tourney rounds. My camp spot actually had my tent about 30 feet away from the basket for hole 8, which made it nice to wake up and take some putts and take some putts before bed if my fire was big enough to see.

I can't wait til Rochester. It's out of state with a ton of courses between me and there. I'm gonna have a good time getting there and getting back aside from that whole week.

Anyone else get these excited thoughts of 2011 Am Worlds?

CAMPING???

Where is close or central to all of these courses for camping? I like hotels, but they cost 2-5 times as much as a campsite and all I have to do is bring some bug spray to be alright lol.

So again, anyone know any good campsites around the area? I'd prefer to have a place with some showers lol.

I really hope there is a campsite somewhat located within 30ish minutes from the courses. I just can't nor do I want to make the trip if thats not the case. I just got some brand new camping gear I would be excited to try out for a tournament like this.

I'm getting some for my birthday/xmas since they fall 11 days apart lol. So I too would like to try the new stuff out while being centrally located or at least somewhat close to the courses for the week.

BOOM! fundraiser discs have been flying off the shelves, courses are being prepped, hotel rooms being booked, flights being booked, cars being rented, people practicing at every tournament they can....

2011 AM WORLDS IN ROCHESTER IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are at hamlin beach, you can play shore winds and sweden town park, they are close and will not be as crowded as near by Parma.

^This!! It's about a half-hour drive from a few of the west side courses.

Thing is, the campground has two GREAT courses that aren't being used for the worlds. It's right on the shores of Lake Ontario, and beautiful to play. The blue course is brand new, and really a big, long course. Between the two, you'll have great variety.

If I were coming here to camp and play, Shore Winds would be a no-brainer.

Anybody coming up, PM me any questions. If you need a guide for a preview round, I would be more than happy. We're pretty excited to be hosting this tourney. A ton of work has been going into the courses, and I really think you'll be surprised at what we will have for you.

I think I'm driving up Sunday (from Lexington KY) and hope to get a couple courses in Monday. Thinking Ellison or Chili since they should be my first two rounds. Will try and hit Basil late (after rounds) Wed since I'll have it 2x on Thursday - Unless I suck and get shuffled back. Any recommendations on courses that a forehand player needs an extra look at?

I think I'm driving up Sunday (from Lexington KY) and hope to get a couple courses in Monday. Thinking Ellison or Chili since they should be my first two rounds. Will try and hit Basil late (after rounds) Wed since I'll have it 2x on Thursday - Unless I suck and get shuffled back. Any recommendations on courses that a forehand player needs an extra look at?

Ellison's a pretty easy course. Depending on your schedule, I would check out Parma. I think that's the course that'll make or break alot of people's week.

I'm off Wednesdays and Sundays, so I could show you around any of the courses you'de like to see. I have some evenings off that would leave time for Ellison as well. PM me when you're coming in, and I'd be glad to show you whatever you'd like to play.

Latest posts